StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a trip coming up shortly which, mostly due to the time of year and the iffy weather, requires that I head toward the coast. I'll be coming from Washington, thinking of catching the coast at Crescent City.

Is the 1 worth it, or will it be frustrating due to traffic, gapers, and such? I will be on a time schedule, so unfortunately I won't be able to lollygag much. 1 is a road I've wanted to find an excuse to take for quite some time, but this might not be the time due to the schedule, I'm just not sure.

Also, recommendations for decent/cheap places to stay from the northern border all the way to the San Luis Obispo area would be great.

I'm all ears, thanks!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hwy 1 Opinion

Enumclaw,

I once rode from Monterey to San Louis Obispo on the 1 and for the 100 mile stretch, it was almost 5 hours to complete it based on the traffic and rv's. When you get behind them mixed with curves, there are rare places to pass safetly. Just my thought as no one has posted anything here yet to your initial inquiry.

Jeff

·
Registered
255 Posts
I did this trip in October of last year. In my opinion the part of the coast that is a "must see" is from Monterey south to San Luis Obispo, which can easily be done - with stops - in a day. I was going the other way and started the day in Ventura, made lots of stops, and still arrived in Monterey for dinner and overnight. I would not endorse the section of 1 south of SLO as it was not all that interesting. Likewise the section north of San Francisco also gets very tedious after an hour or so. But from Crescent City north through Oregon was all great. I posted my trip on this forum in a thread that you can find here:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=45566&highlight=gmassey

Several local Strom riders have also posted some local side trips that I would love to have known about when I was there. Some of them may chime in here as well. In any case it's a great ride!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Haven't ridden the PCH in years. but, any time i did, i never had a problem with traffic. it's just not a road you'll want to blast through. you don't have to lollygag but you will want to "take it in". If you're doing it just to get from point A to point B maybe you ought to just wait and plan a trip and do it right.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The northern section of Highway 1 -- from about Fort Ross to Leggett -- is incredible. South of Fort Ross you're likely to encounter lots of traffic, but for some reason the RVs and cages rarely seem to venture north of there. However, you still can't expect to make very good time, because there are many hairpin turns, and you'll probably want to stop a lot to take in the scenery anyway.

To get a taste of Highway 1, you could split off at Leggett -- the first section south of there is one of the best motorcycle roads in CA -- then ride to Fort Bragg and take 128 or 20 back over to 101. Or ride all the way to Jenner then take 116 through the Russian River area.

There are lots of motels in Fort Bragg. The ones off the highway are a bit cheaper, but on summer weekends they're all expensive. The coast between there and Jenner is dotted with little B&Bs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The northern section of Highway 1 -- from about Fort Ross to Leggett -- is incredible. South of Fort Ross you're likely to encounter lots of traffic, but for some reason the RVs and cages rarely seem to venture north of there. However, you still can't expect to make very good time, because there are many hairpin turns, and you'll probably want to stop a lot to take in the scenery anyway.

To get a taste of Highway 1, you could split off at Leggett -- the first section south of there is one of the best motorcycle roads in CA -- then ride to Fort Bragg and take 128 or 20 back over to 101. Or ride all the way to Jenner then take 116 through the Russian River area.

There are lots of motels in Fort Bragg. The ones off the highway are a bit cheaper, but on summer weekends they're all expensive. The coast between there and Jenner is dotted with little B&Bs.
I agree with vaara. I'd do Hwy 1 from Legget to Albion, then 128 to 101. You'll be able to get the best of Hwy 1 but skip the traffic and maintain good travel time. You can stick to 101, but it is boring through there. There are other roads that will achieve the same route, but I won't pollute the thread with that unless requested. From 101, I'd blow through SF and pick up 1 again in Monterey. Along the SF Peninsula, 1 is more of a freeway with the exception of only a few miles. I'd then follow 1 from Monterey to just north of Morro Bay where I'd pick up 46 to head back to 101 again.

There are plenty of cheap, safe places to stay in Fort Bragg. If you stay in Fort Bragg, you must get breakfast at Eggheads. Its a nice little breakfast joint that has absolutely amazing food. In San Francisco, Motel Capri on Greenwich at Buchanan is nice and cheap at $80/night (remodeled rooms are more). The Capri is crazy quiet, with safe, covered parking and the cleanest no frills rooms in SF. If the Capri is booked, I'd recommend The Best Inn on Van Ness at Chestnut. It is still nice and quiet, with secure, covered parking, but it is a bit pricier (still plenty cheap for SF standards).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
So you're thinking of this route?--
I-5 to Grant's Pass
US-199 to Crescent City
US-101 to Leggett
CA-1 south to maybe CA-128 below Albion back to 101 at Cloverdale
US-101 through S.F.
I-280 south to San Jose
Back to US-101 to Prunedale
CA-156 to CA-1 at Castroville
CA-1 south to SLO

If time gets short, there are several ways to get back to 101 or I-5 in a reasonable time, and some ways that are wonderful, winding, slow country roads you don't want if you're late. For a faster ride home, you can take 101 to San Jose, I-680 to I-80 around the East Bay, I-80 to Vacaville, I-505 to Dunnigan, and I-5 home. (and maybe there's a better way from SLO to I-5 northbound).

Enjoy the good parts of the ride and be very, very careful and watchful through the cities and on the superslab.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
quit analyzing your route. Get on the Bike and ride Hwy 1 like you've been wanting to. Infact ride it down all the way down into Santa Monica and then you can say to yourself "I rode PCH"

·
Registered
678 Posts
quit analyzing your route. Get on the Bike and ride Hwy 1 like you've been wanting to. Infact ride it down all the way down into Santa Monica and then you can say to yourself "I rode PCH"
Actually, Highway 1 goes all the way to Dana Point. :)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

vaara and Tedski, good advice on the roads. PTRider, that is pretty much the plan, alright. I am still working the details, but you have apparently been looking over my shoulder. :mrgreen:

BDragon, your point is well taken. I would normally just say eff it and whatever happens, happens. But I do have the time schedule thing hanging over me somewhat on this one. I am confident I will find the right balance between getting there and enjoying scenery.

Tedski, feel free to expound on your alternate roads.....:yesnod:

·
Registered
84 Posts
i live in San Luis Obispo County. Paso Robles/Atascadero Area more specifically. Hwy 1 is definately worth it. Depends on how much time you have and where you want your layovers to be. I can give recommendations for staying / eating around here. Just gas up in Monterey/Carmel before heading down and you'll be fine. Cell phone is rare along the route. Recommend Fort Hunter liggit to cut across or Hwy 46 or 41 if your not riding all the way to San Luis Obispo. Recommend cruising through Morro Bay at least before cutting inland. Great Picture opportunities and you can go feed seals along the Embarcadero at the aquarium( Noisy begging Bastards!!)
Probably want to stop and see the Elephant Seals north of San Simeon. There's a good Burrito Bar in Big Sur to stop and eat. Cambria Has a good grill on Main Street too (Cash Only FYI). Probably want to stay in Paso Robles - Several Hotels/motels. San Luis Obispo would be good too. Let me know if you want more. 101 between Paso Robles and King City Is desolate, boring and is a high traffic enforcement area by the CHP. You've been warned...

Added 6/5/10 why didn't i take my own advice???? Yours Truly, Met with CHP finest last week..... in a inattentive daydream on the way to an outlying office in King City. He was coming the other direction and got me with Radar - cited for 85 in a 70 zone... My last speeding ticket was over 10 years ago, so i guess i was "due"....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts