StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Please visit the following thread too and take part http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-2014/310498-ecu-replacement-anyone-have-done.html )

Here are some ECU swap information from Germany, which is not a recall but it's being exchanged on warranty. So far 89 members got it replaced as of 3/12/16. http://www.v-stromforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43607&start=360

The website of Reinhard also provides a lot of information about his power loss. He says his dyno results started Suzuki's ECU investigation and that Suzuki informed officially all dealers on August 4th 2015 about the ECU problem. Effected are 3 out of 10 early DL1000A L4 (and I believe L5). Culprit is the ECU J00 and J01, which were replaced with J02

source: extremes Drehmomentloch | on2r.eu

ECU J01 got rid of the power drop in 2nd gear and the 3rd gear had more torque in lower RPM. No more stalling.

ECU J02 killed the violent vibration in 2nd gear at low RPMs still present with J01. It felt like the bike was trying to shake off its front end when driving in 2nd below 1500 RPM (about 25km/h). Now even at 1200RPM in 2nd the engine runs smooth.

Dyno test result:

source: extremes Drehmomentloch | on2r.eu

Best rider's feedback so far after ECU swap:

- Bike sometimes dies after cold start.
Didn't happen anymore! Idle speed is a tap higher!

- Occasionally misfire.
Not anymore!

- Below 50km/h had to shift into 3rd gear because engine wouldn't run smooth and would start to jerk.
Now even in 5th gear and 50km/h smooth without jerking! Also the acceleration from 50km/h in 5th gear is without jerking!

- With traction control setting either in 1 or 2, the engine would 'have to climb out of the basement' when accelerating in 2nd or 3rd gear. When accelerating out of a corner or when overtaking power loss was felt. Had to close throttle and slowly increase speed to control the weird loss of power.
Now merciless acceleration and the traction control light is blinking!

ECU repair time:

Dealers with no knowledge try to put of customers saying the swap would take an entire day. However it is being reported that the swap takes about 15min.

- short test drive
- seat off
- disconnect battery
- swap ECU
- connect battery
- program both ignition keys
- seat back on
- reset clock
- test drive
source: http://www.v-stromforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43607&start=15

According to the Suzuki parts list the ECU unit for 2014 and 2015 got changed. (have not seen a 2016 parts list yet)
ECU part# source: 2015 Suzuki DL1000A ELECTRICAL (DL1000AL5 E03) | Babbitts Suzuki Partshouse

ECU/CONTROL UNIT, FI was 32920-31J10 and got replace with the new part# 32920-31J11 for the following bikes
2014 (DL1000AL4 E03 ) - U.S.A except for California
2014 (DL1000AL4 E28 ) - Canada
2015 (DL1000AL5 E03 ) - U.S.A except for California
2015 (DL1000AL5 E28 ) - Canada

ECU/CONTROL UNIT, FI
was 32920-31J20 and got replace with the new part# 32920-31J21 for the following bikes
2014 (DL1000AL4 E33 ) - California
2015 (DL1000AL5 E33 ) - California

It will be interesting to know if all the issues (stalling, power loss etc.) only occur with the first ECU version.
Therefore please include the information below when you take part or already have taken part in the poll.

With the ORIGINAL ECU
List your ECU version (J10, J11, J20 or J21):
List your bike's problems:
How to reproduce the issue(s)? -for someone who is unsure about his bike-

With the NEW REPLACEMENT ECU
How to reproduce the issue(s)?
List your new ECU version (J10, J11, J20 or J21):
State the result after ECU swap:
Address of who performed the ECU warranty work:

STROMTROOPER Poll:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-2014/310498-ecu-replacement-anyone-have-done-5.html#post3838873

DL1000A Country Codes:

E03 U.S.A except for California
E28 Canada
E33 California
E14 Thailand
E21 E.U.
E24 Australia
E50 China
E99 Other Countries

(Please visit the following thread too and take part http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-2014/310498-ecu-replacement-anyone-have-done.html )

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just purchased a 2014 model in Ontario, Canada and eventually got a response from Suzuki Canada. They stated that the ECU in Europe is different to the one used in Canada. They also stated that if you do have an issue it would be replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I live in Portugal.
My ECU was J00 and was replaced by J02.
I believe and can confirm a lot of mentioned in previous post, stating German experiences...
BUT...
talking about 1200 or 1500 rpm vibrations ???
At those rpm my bike would disintegrate, I guess... C'mon, it's V-twin!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just got off the phone with Suzuki USA to discuss and document the stalling issue. After reading a variety of posts that confirm Germany, Portugal and several other countries have swapped to newer ECU's, I wanted to know if thats a possibility in the US and whether the USA corporate offices were even aware of an issue. The customer service rep was very attentive and took note of the conversation. I'm hoping some action will be taken in that this apparently is not a unique situation to me. Before I go for X-TRE or some other flash product, I'd like Suzuki to make this right. This really is a plug and play install and aside from the cost of the unit (which I suppose is significant) it's far less costly than being held accountable to a possible accident when a bike stalls while crossing traffic. :yikes:

·
Registered
135 Posts
what number for Suzuki customer service
I cant find one I would love to follow up with my own calls
these bikes should run better then they do

·
Registered
135 Posts
mine is a, 32920-31j10
112600 0021
nep144
cannot ride it relaxed if you are just riding it around it needs to be a bit over 2k
never ever had a bike like that
nope its not cuz its a race bred v twin
the bike should be able to pull itself along in rush hour traffic I should not have to pull the clutch in the entire time im in traffic

·
Registered
391 Posts
what number for Suzuki customer service
I cant find one I would love to follow up with my own calls
these bikes should run better then they do
I just went to Suzuki USA. Look for contact. Speak with customer service after hitting #1 and listening to recording when it asks to hit another number if you need more info.
714-572-1490.
I think the more people that do this, the more effective and the more urgency corporate might see this problem is. If we can get a whole "movement" or maybe even a "revolution" going, than I think the "establishment" might wake up and take us seriously:grin2:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ECU Part Numbers

According to the Suzuki parts list the ECU unit for 2014 and 2015 got changed. (have not seen a 2016 parts list yet)
ECU part# source: 2015 Suzuki DL1000A ELECTRICAL (DL1000AL5 E03) | Babbitts Suzuki Partshouse

ECU/CONTROL UNIT, FI was 32920-31J10 and got replace with the new part# 32920-31J11 for the following bikes
2014 (DL1000AL4 E03 ) - U.S.A except for California
2014 (DL1000AL4 E28 ) - Canada
2015 (DL1000AL5 E03 ) - U.S.A except for California
2015 (DL1000AL5 E28 ) - Canada

ECU/CONTROL UNIT, FI
was 32920-31J20 and got replace with the new part# 32920-31J21 for the following bikes
2014 (DL1000AL4 E33 ) - California
2015 (DL1000AL5 E33 ) - California

It will be interesting to know if all the issues (stalling, power loss etc.) only occur with the first ECU version.
Therefore please include the information below when you take part or already have taken part in the poll.

With the ORIGINAL ECU
List your ECU version (J10, J11, J20 or J21):
How to reproduce the issue(s)? -for someone who is unsure about his bike-

With the NEW REPLACEMENT ECU
How to reproduce the issue(s)?
List your new ECU version (J10, J11, J20 or J21):
State the result after ECU swap:
Address of who performed the ECU warranty work:

STROMTROOPER Poll:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-2014/310498-ecu-replacement-anyone-have-done-5.html#post3838873

DL1000A Country Codes:

E03 U.S.A except for California
E28 Canada
E33 California
E14 Thailand
E21 E.U.
E24 Australia
E50 China
E99 Other Countries

·
Registered
42 Posts
J10 and puff in airbox at low rpm makes stalling 6 time now... After email to Suzuki Canada to explain my stalling issue, Suzuki canada answer by letter to proceed with recall for wire Under the tank, ground misplaced.

I'm in process to do the recall from Suzuki (wire loom, ground misplaced ) after that I will try again to swap the ECU.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
talked to Suzuki today and the stand is there is no recall
I said I didn't ask if there was a recall
is there an updated computer that the rest of the globe is installing in the early 2014s that will allow the bike to be ridden below 2k
the response was there is no recall on that bike for the computer
so I said so your stand is that it is perfectly normal to have a bike just stall while in traffic and is not rideable unless you beat on it
I just want to make sure that is your stand before I contact the nhtsa
yes there is no recall on your bike for the computer
so I said if I buy the $1000 computer and it fixes the bike then what will Suzuki do for me
he said you will have to file a claim
I then called my dealer who said bring it back in and they will look at it again

·
Registered
135 Posts
does anyone in mn have a bike that they think is right so I can ride side buy side to see if im nuts
yup you can ride mine also
I would love to see one before it goes in again to the dealer

·
Registered
391 Posts
Unfortunately customer service is only concerned if there is a recall. Lets just keep this going until they can no longer ignore the fact there is an issue. I suppose this is how class action lawsuits are legitimized although as far as I know no one has been injured do to this problem. I hope that never happens, but I personally had 1 instance of a stall while making a left turn across a couple of lanes of oncoming traffic. Luckily I had the stall issue before and immediately reacted. The bike had enough momentum to cross over and I started the bike very quickly, but it was all too clear to me the potential for a catastrophic outcome.

·
Registered
20 Posts
GTMN has the right idea. Contact the NHTSA and the Federal Trade Commission. While you're at it if your dealer is being lax file a complaint with the BBB. You would be surprised what happens when it's not just another consumer calling Suzuki. That goes for any business. Take the time and write one letter and send a copy to all agencies. Send one to Suzuki too. Back it up with info from this forum. Quite a few people having the same issues. Plus the fact they already changed the part number. Hopefully we'll all get this resolved.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Jimi has it. Write letters to Suzuki, copy dealer, BBB, NHTSA, etc.
Provide links to this thread and others substantiating Suzuki's acknowledgement of the problem and ECU replacement as documented by those European riders here.
Post a copy of your letter here.
Stay diligent. I think those European riders had to.

·
Registered
135 Posts
gave my dealer a second shot to fix the bike
dealer said it seems normal and Suzuki said that's how the bike is supposed to ride
I said I have had 17 bike in my years and not one of them I could not ride under 2k
I said do your bikes ride under 2k he said well yes
if I come down there and test ride any bike on the showfloor whats the chance it will ride below 2k
he said they probably all will
DO WE SEE WHERE WE ARE GOING HERE
so I said cool not mad at you guys but its gonna get fixed and if I have to buy the computer I will but me and somebody are gonna box when it fixes the bike
so I just filed to the nhtsa
he said according to Suzuki they are not replacing computers on the bikes

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New Part Number

...is there an updated computer that the rest of the globe is installing in the early 2014s that will allow the bike to be ridden below 2k
the response was there is no recall on that bike for the computer...
It seems they are avoiding to acknowledge the new ECU part number, by repeating 'there is no recall'!

I then called my dealer who said bring it back in and they will look at it again
After verifying that Suzuki has a new ECU replacement part number your dealer has to agree that something is going on. - It would help if he has a V-Strom with a new ECU in stock.

BTW GTMN, is this 32920-31J10 your current ECU part number?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts