StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Soon to be Canadian trooper here. Looking at a 2014 1000. I've read through some of the ECU threads and I'm trying to figure out the beat way to identify the ECU on the bike I'm looking at.

From what I've read there is a Phillips and 8mm screw to remove along with some fuse/relay holders. Anyone have photos? I'm completely new to the V and I'm not sure where exactly they have tucked the ECU on this bike.

Also it seems that this ECU replacement is a service item and not so much a government mandated recall. Am I going to have trouble getting an ECU replaced at this date? Its a 2014 purchased NOS in 2017 with 3400km. I'm going to call Suzuki Canada today and see what they say but I figured first hand experience from here is probably a better indicator.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
770 Posts
These posts should help

·
Registered
509 Posts
Howdy!

Welcome!

This is the best site on the web for Stroms of any flavor. The knowledge base is enormous.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Are you having trouble ?

I had no trouble with my original ECU.

I had the new one fitted and hate it, I would swap back in a heart beat if I could.

Reactions: 2thDr

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you having trouble ?

I had no trouble with my original ECU.

I had the new one fitted and hate it, I would swap back in a heart beat if I could.
Well this is the thing, the bike is a 2014 NOS purchased in 2017. Plate registration sticker shows 2018 as if the owner hasn't been riding it much in the past few years and the dealer he bought it from has since gone out of business. He states that the bike is great and ready to ride but knows nothing about any recalls. With it being so long since suzukis service bulletin I'm not sure if they even are offering ECUs for replacement anymore.

The price isn't so low that it screams "too good to be true" but I do wonder if the bike stalls or maybe has some wire chaffing that has put the owner off riding it. I'm planning to pick it up today and I will take it for a short ride around but as I haven't ridden a Strom before (DR650 has been my ride for many years) Im not sure I will notice any issues.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Well this is the thing, the bike is a 2014 NOS purchased in 2017. Plate registration sticker shows 2018 as if the owner hasn't been riding it much in the past few years and the dealer he bought it from has since gone out of business. He states that the bike is great and ready to ride but knows nothing about any recalls. With it being so long since suzukis service bulletin I'm not sure if they even are offering ECUs for replacement anymore.

The price isn't so low that it screams "too good to be true" but I do wonder if the bike stalls or maybe has some wire chaffing that has put the owner off riding it. I'm planning to pick it up today and I will take it for a short ride around but as I haven't ridden a Strom before (DR650 has been my ride for many years) Im not sure I will notice any issues.
Like Rolex, I too had the recall ECU replacement although I really had no complaints about fueling and rideability. The result was less perceived torque and perhaps power. I ended up sending my ECU to 2wheeldynoworks and had it flashed. Worse case scenario you could do the same.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like Rolex, I too had the recall ECU replacement although I really had no complaints about fueling and rideability. The result was less perceived torque and perhaps power. I ended up sending my ECU to 2wheeldynoworks and had it flashed. Worse case scenario you could do the same.

Thanks for the reply.

I just received a response from Suzuki Canada regarding this bike. The ECM recall is outstanding and is indeed a recall as the bike is now out of warranty. Rep stated I can take the bike to any Suzi dealer and get the recall done (she didn't specify if its a direct swap or testing conclusively for the issue will need to be done first).

Regarding twowheel for a flash, can flashing only be done on the new ECM or can the old ones be modified too now? From the reading I did it seemed the old ECM were very restrictive in what could be modified and I'm not sure if thats different with the new version (J12?).

Thanks all for your input, it is very much appreciated (especially considering this ECM horse has been beat to death).

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I just received a response from Suzuki Canada regarding this bike. The ECM recall is outstanding and is indeed a recall as the bike is now out of warranty. Rep stated I can take the bike to any Suzi dealer and get the recall done (she didn't specify if its a direct swap or testing conclusively for the issue will need to be done first).

Regarding twowheel for a flash, can flashing only be done on the new ECM or can the old ones be modified too now? From the reading I did it seemed the old ECM were very restrictive in what could be modified and I'm not sure if thats different with the new version (J12?).

Thanks all for your input, it is very much appreciated (especially considering this ECM horse has been beat to death).
Don't know about if the old ECU can be flashed, but a call to 2wheeldynoworks.com will answer your question.

Reactions: Gert
1 - 8 of 8 Posts