StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was having a great day yesterday. tearing up endless miles of gravel and dirt roads through middle GA and having a blast on the byways as well. Then I decided to go ahead and change my oil since it was about due, and I was at the auto shop anyways for a car battery.

Well, I got to working and wasn't paying much attention and I slapped the usual 14 on the socket and gave her a nice firm turn.........in the wrong direction!:headbang: What a bonehead move! As soon as I felt it I knew, and sure enough I stripped off a couple of threads from the aluminum case which came out on the bolt.

SO.... the options:

1) Have the hole welded/re bored, or have a heli coil/ time sert installed after re boring. I have a friend who can do this work, but it would be money and time, and transporting the bike 6 hours round trip twice to make that happen. IF MY TEST FAILS THIS WILL BE MY ONLY OPTION.

2) Cut a new bolt that is longer to grab the threads. I know this has worked for some. Okay, okay.

3) An over-sized plug. NO. They rarely work well, and when they do it only holds a seal for a change or two before it doesn't.

4) Then I found Eco Plug. Google it if you haven't heard of it. I was skeptical. The magnetic piece seems to have no reliability concern after people's extended use, and is rated to hold oil for 300 years or something, but I have yet to find out if I will get a good seal from the apoxy and tapered bolt. The reviews are almost all great and praising how easy of a fix it provides for those who find themselves under my current misfortune, and is a much better/cheaper alternative at under $20. IF IT WORKS WELL.

SO.... since I couldn't find anyone's testimony of how this performs on our bikes, I thought I would start a thread to talk about MY experience with it so that we can all learn together. I will be your guinea pig. If it has leaks at any point, I will divert to option 1 and charlie-mike.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have a VW van with a diesel engine and the oil drain plug has a huge washer sealing surface that constantly rusts in place. Almost every oil change I have to use a torch to get it loose. I will try one of these next oil change and will contribute any relevant info here too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
D.T. Thanks for posting a link to the product! I'm sure it will be useful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe all the Wee's are 14mm. From my research it is best to get the 3/4" length bolt and not the 1 1/4 due to the unnecessary excess which would protrude into the pan and further hinder draining the last bit of oil out with each change. So all told, I got the 12-16 mm 3/4 inch long.
Peace.

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Heli-Coil, then never worry about it again.

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
D.T. Thanks for posting a link to the product! I'm sure it will be useful.
I bought a 1/4 turn drain plug for my Jeep off of Amazon. No more reaching up there with a wrench and blowing oil all over my hands etc and stripping stuff out.

I'd do it on the bikes but they hang down too far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^ My thoughts exactly - as to the hanging down too far since it is protruding from the bottom after all. I believe it will still not stick out lower than the exhaust goes, but we shall see. I'll try to post a picture if it works out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I believe all the Wee's are 14mm. From my research it is best to get the 3/4" length bolt and not the 1 1/4 due to the unnecessary excess which would protrude into the pan and further hinder draining the last bit of oil out with each change. So all told, I got the 12-16 mm 3/4 inch long.
Peace.
The 12-16mm 3/4 long - was that from eco plug or somewhere else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought it from Eco Plug- their online store. Amazon was out of stock for that size.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am getting one of these for my son's Fusion. Found out this past weekend not too many threads left on the aluminum oil pan, especially after 150K on the dial. At least 2 of my other vehicles have steel pans and have good threads left.

J

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I'm surprised there's a big market for stripped out drain plugs. I've never damaged the threads in 40+ years. One would have to be a bit of a klutz me thinks. Must be a lot of them out there!

No offense to klutzes of course!
I stripped out the drain plug on my old XT600. I went with an oversize plug, drilled and tapped years ago. But that's how you start in the DIY motorcycle repair business. :laugh2:

Just watched the videos. Seems like that plug is going to hang down WAYY too far and be easy to hit. And you need to put a cover over it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE:

The Eco Plug worked beautifully!! Absolutely no leaks, I took it for a long ride to make sure it was good while running. It sealed up completely, and while it does hang down more than a standard plug, it does not protrude below the exhaust, so the overall clearance is not affected. If you should ever find yourself in my position of being an idiot, you can use this! Hopefully you never find yourself there in the first place, but what a bullet I dodged.

Very happy, $19 and I'm back on the road.
Peace.

·
Registered
100 Posts
UPDATE:

The Eco Plug worked beautifully!! Absolutely no leaks, I took it for a long ride to make sure it was good while running. It sealed up completely, and while it does hang down more than a standard plug, it does not protrude below the exhaust, so the overall clearance is not affected. If you should ever find yourself in my position of being an idiot, you can use this! Hopefully you never find yourself there in the first place, but what a bullet I dodged.

Very happy, $19 and I'm back on the road.
Peace.

Hey,

Which is the part number you ordered? I see in their page many items. Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
Watching the video, looks like the only down side is; if it doesn’t work you are out $20.

If it works you haven’t eliminated your options of using a larger plug or heli coil.

That looks like a win into me. Glad it’s working.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I wonder if the magnetic aspect would also work to activate those stubborn signal lights that don't "see" motorcycles. (I have heard the fix for those signals is a magnet under the bike to activate the sensors in the ground.)

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I wonder if the magnetic aspect would also work to activate those stubborn signal lights that don't "see" motorcycles. (I have heard the fix for those signals is a magnet under the bike to activate the sensors in the ground.)
Don't think so. Even a larger magnet under the bike does not work. Problem is that the induction loops are set not sensitive enough for a bike, unless you have a big steel frame bike, at least in most cases. They are adjustable but you can bet whoever installs and adjusts them does not test with a bike … hence some recognize our bikes and others don't.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts