StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've often read on forums about the EBC HH sintered pads and how hard they could be on rotors, so I wanted to share this with someone who was considering using them. I'll qualify this by saying that I didn't measure the rotor thickness at the time I switched from OEM pads to the EBC HH ones, so I can't give any precise numbers on wear and tear on the rotor.

In Feb 2017, when I had 32,219 miles on my bike (which is a 2014 Super Tenere, not that the type of bike is really important here), I needed new brake pads and decided to give the EBC HH ones a try. As I said I didn't measure the rotor thickness, but I did check the rotors for any excessive wear, gouges, lips, etc and didn't find any.

Six months later I'm checking the rotors for wear with a micrometer. The rear rotor was down to .1529 (minimum rear rotor thickness on an S10 is .18 ), and there was a very pronounced lip on the inner surface of the rotor. At this point, the EBC pads had 8,737 miles on them. The pads looked virtually new. I've attached a few photos of the lip that was worn into the rotor.

I put a new OEM rotor on the rear, and swapped out the EBC pads for OEM ones.

The EBC pads performed well, but not noticeably different than OEM ones. I'm definitely leaning towards the "EBC pads eat OEM rotors" camp, though, and I don't think I'll be using them again.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
My EBC pads went on my 650 at 2K. I now have 118K on those same pads and the original rotors. Rotor wear is still in tolerance. Just my experience.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I use EBC pads on my Beemer and Wee never a problem with rotor wear. You might check for a dragging brake and a sticky piston in caliper ..:frown2:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
I had about 75,000 miles with EBC HH sintered metallic pads on the front of my 2007 Wee and EBC organic pads on the back. The rotors were fine. The bike had an additional 51,000 miles on it the last time I heard from Norm and he never mentioned any problems with the brakes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It is odd that you have a lip on only one side, that might indicate a sticking caliper. Maybe it was dragging the whole time and you didn't know it, accelerating the wear. Looks discolored from heat buildup as well.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about a dragging brake, for sure, but when I took the EBC pads off, they were pretty close to being equally worn. If a dragging inner pad had been the cause of that lip on the inside of the rotor, I would have expected the inner pad to show a lot more wear than the outer pad; however, there's only a .003 difference in the thickness of the pads.

It's possible I missed that lip on the inner surface of the rotor when I changed the pads from OEM to EBC, since I can't lay claim to infallibility. It may have been there and I didn't notice it, but even if it was, it got very noticeable in the 8700 miles that have been put on the bike since the pad change. The EBC pads aren't discolored from heat; they're both that usual bronze color, and the pad shims look normal too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts