StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest "easy off-road/dirt trail" spot for someone that never rode off road before. I am looking to get my feet wet with trail riding in order to get ready for more complex rides in the future. I would like to finally do both side of "dual sport" riding.
I am in NY City and don't know of any place around here.

Any help, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks much.

Be Safe.

Julien-

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Rather than going it alone, see if you can find an off-road school near you. I've been to a couple of different ones near me, riding 250s all day, but both offered half a day on my wee, and/or my friend's R1200GS if we were interested. The instructors were great, we were exhausted, they provided all the gear, the bikes, and lunch. For a couple of hundred dollars for the day, it was a bargain, and it sure beats thrashing your own bike.

This appears to be MSF sanctioned - The MSF DirtBike School - DBS - Dirt Bike Training, Riding Lessons

This is the one I've been to recently - CMTS: OFFROAD MOTORCYCLE/BIKE/DIRT BIKE/MINI BIKE/ATV/RHINO/SNOWMOBILE TRAINING & RIDES; MOTORCYCLE/MINI BIKE/YOUTH ATV SCHOOL

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ancient Information from former resident but.....

North on Taconic to Bryant Pond rd. Mahopac..
powerlines just east of the Taconic

Search trails up to the Ramapo Plateau in Rockland. Note Jackson Whites are hillbillies so don't go alone

Southern Jersey look for thr "Pine Barrens" sort of Sandy and Flay

Lastly look at Berkshire Adventue Ride - 5/20/2012 - ADVrider
Rich,

Thanks for the info... I read through the advrider thread... it does look tempting... my problem is that I am worry I won't be able to handle it :confused: As I said, I have not done any "off-road" riding before. I am willing... just a little shy I guess. I think I just need to "do it" !!!:headbang:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rather than going it alone, see if you can find an off-road school near you. I've been to a couple of different ones near me, riding 250s all day, but both offered half a day on my wee, and/or my friend's R1200GS if we were interested. The instructors were great, we were exhausted, they provided all the gear, the bikes, and lunch. For a couple of hundred dollars for the day, it was a bargain, and it sure beats thrashing your own bike.

This appears to be MSF sanctioned - The MSF DirtBike School - DBS - Dirt Bike Training, Riding Lessons

This is the one I've been to recently - CMTS: OFFROAD MOTORCYCLE/BIKE/DIRT BIKE/MINI BIKE/ATV/RHINO/SNOWMOBILE TRAINING & RIDES; MOTORCYCLE/MINI BIKE/YOUTH ATV SCHOOL
KZDon - Thanks much for the information. I have been looking at the msf classes but there isn't anything "local". I do like the idea of using one of their bike so I don't "trash" mine. I just wish more "local" options would exist. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind riding a couple of hours to get there... just not a full day riding.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Berkshire is mostly a dirt road ride where cars go everyday

Stay off "hero" sections and they are just roads. Ride in the car wheel tracks stay off the marbles in the center and edges.

Use more rear brake and leave some extra room

You need a weekend ride the Berkshire roads , motel do the run.
Have a life

Warning may result in an irresistible urge to get out of NYC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts