StromTrooper banner

Easy and gentle primary sprocket removal

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  jrnyer 
#1 · (Edited)
There's more than one way to remove this sprocket. Here is my way to make it easy. Remove the cover, bend the safety washer tab away with a wide blade punch or screwdriver, and then shove a rod/or old screwdriver shaft between the rear sprocket teeth and chain as you rotate the wheel forward which will jam it. Keep it tight while you use an impact wench to remove the primary nut. You won't damage anything at this point because you are changing everything as a set anyway.

#2 ·
There's more than one way to remove this sprocket. Here is my way to make it easy. Remove the cover, bend the safety washer tab away with a wide blade punch or screwdriver, and then shove a rod/or old screwdriver shaft between the rear sprocket teeth and chain as you rotate the wheel forward which will jam it. Keep it tight while you use an impact wench to remove the primary nut. You won't damage anything at this point because you are changing everything as a set anyway.
I usually use a rolled up shop rag.

#10 ·
Yep. Did that my first time but it poked holes in a perfectly good shop rag.

#3 ·
I just use my hand to hold the sprocket while turning the nut with my fingers.

Jeeze, you guys are sissies!

Here, take the bong. Then try the sprocket again...

:beatnik:

#7 ·
I tried the 2X4 trick to, didn't work very well. Had a friend step on the rear brake (as BigB stated) works much better. The wood, for me, didn't bind in well and just jumped around when I tried to break the nut loose. I would not recommend using a metal object such as a screw driver on the back sprocket. Could mess up the teeth fairly easily. Besides, having a friend over while you perform bike maintenance gives you an excuse to drink hoppy beer and brag about your bike farkles. :biggrinjester:

#9 ·
Guess you didn't read the post. You are changing both sprockets and chain as a set so why be concerned about the teeth. That was the point. Once the rod/screwdriver is wedged between the teeth and chain, use an impact or whatever you want to break the nut loose.

#12 ·
I usually slide a credit card in and out quickly.

I stay clean and I don't risk my lucrative hand modeling career.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.