StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I've been looking for a solution that will allow me to return to work with a drink after going out to lunch. Previously I've had to just trash the refillable cup because I had no way to carry it back to the office.

Wandering Wal-mart I gave some cheap automotive cup holders a try. It is a 4 pack of cup holders for $2.00. I used 2 cup holders making the total price $1.00. I had to use two cupholders because 1 cup holder was too short to hold the superduper sized drinks. What I did was cut the bottom off. Cut the friction prongs off. Then cut the holding bracket off. I drilled some holes into the main cup holder to allow me to ziptie the modified piece to it. This is where you see the white ziptie. I added 2 more green zipties to add more stability.

While studying the bike to figure out how to attach it, I lucked out when I pulled the seat off and set the cup holder right into the helmet lock slot. Its a perfect fit. I did add some tape to protect the side panel from scratches but at this point I really don't care what the bike looks like anymore. There is a bit of tilt to the location so better to use a cup cap that hasn't had a straw through it yet. Also I have enough clearance that my butt does not interfere with the biggest cup I could find.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was thinking about this the other day, I stopped at a coffee shop to meet some friends, then discovered that I was at the wrong place only after buying a coffee:headbang:

I was thinking of mounting a cup holder to the bottom of my top case, just to hold it upright temporarily

·
Registered
702 Posts
That's a great idea. And just my price point too! Good work!

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's really cool! I really want to get something like that set up. The coffee at work isn't very good, but I can't ride in and bring it from home.

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
I haven't seen anything as hideous as that since I installed a swivel cup holder on my Windjammer back in the 80's. It's a perfectly good solution to a problem though!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The good thing about this also, you can remove this cup holder simply by lifting the seat. So keep it in the top box until you need it if your worried about looks.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I had one of those swivel cup holder thingies on one of my bikes some years ago. Never used it once after realizing that it was really hard to take a drink from it while wearing a full face helmet. Gave it to a friend who wears a open face helmet. He loved it, in fact I think it is still on his bike.

·
Registered
493 Posts
i dont mean to offend anyone, but cant you just finish your drink before you get on the bike?

how do you drink with a helmet on?

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
Never used it once after realizing that it was really hard to take a drink from it while wearing a full face helmet

I also invested in a big silly straw.
I actually had a water bottle with a straw in my tank bag freeze up solid riding west from Abilene once.
We now return you to a coffee holder.....

·
Registered
480 Posts
I haven't lost one yet : three miles in the morning with two bungies crossed over the top of a medium coffee from dunkin' donuts for five years.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Did you happen to have a KLR before this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Never used it once after realizing that it was really hard to take a drink from it while wearing a full face helmet

I also invested in a big silly straw.
I actually had a water bottle with a straw in my tank bag freeze up solid riding west from Abilene once.
We now return you to a coffee holder.....
Taking sips is super-easy with a modular helmet :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
For me, it's a must.

I really enjoy drinking coffee as I ride. This is important to me, so I turned a steel coffee cup into a holder for my mug. I punched two holes in the bottom of the sacrificed cup and added a plastic hose-fitting from Harbor Freight, with long stainless steel screws in place of the originals. This is just to the right of my left mirror, and a strong nylon zap-strap around the mug and mirror prevents rotation.

My mug has a screw-on lid that keeps coffee hot for a long time.
Such mugs are about $15 from various sources, but I got mine
at a store on Doncaster Avenue in Thornhill Ontario Canada.

·
Registered
858 Posts
i use a thermos cup.. water tight and keeps coffee hot for a LONG time. the local station i get coffee from in the morning fills it up for 50 cents!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts