StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the H4 headlight relay kit from Eastern Beaver. Anyone got pics of their install of this kit? Did you plug and play or use the posi locks and cut off the stock H4 connector? Just want to explore my options and see what those who have been down this path have done. TIA

Regards, Tim

P.S.- Recover well Jim Davis

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Not sure which modulator you purchased from Jim, I have the Kisan and it's a pretty simple plug and play application except for drilling a small hole somewhere to mount the light senser.

What happen to Jim?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I have a bunch of stuff from Eastern Beaver, including the headllight relay setup. As I recall, the instructions that came with the relay were pretty straightforward and gave options. I did set mine up so that I can unplug the relays and go back to stock if anything goes wrong - without removing the fairing. Shouldn't be a problem, but just in case..... I did the "plug and play" install. I hadn't heard anything about Jim's health either. Hope he's OK.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I was planning to do a direct connection. When the time came though, the abundance of room in nevertheless awkward to reach areas changed my mind. I used the plug and play connections with some silicone dielectric compound and taped them up along with the colorful exposed wiring.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure which modulator you purchased from Jim, I have the Kisan and it's a pretty simple plug and play application except for drilling a small hole somewhere to mount the light senser.

What happen to Jim?
Not sure what happened to Jim but I saw on his web page he will be in the hospital until the 27th. Hope he is doing well.
I bought the relay kit without modulator and am leaning toward plug and play to allow easy ability to go back to stock. Just wondering if that makes an unsightly mess with those connectors and relays that have to be bundled somewhere up front.

Tim

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Installed relay kit w/modulator last night.

Also bought the h4 relay kit with modulator from eastern beaver, and installed last night after replacing air filter and plugs. Installation is easy, as the kit comes with a fuse for direct connection to battery, or as in my case, the blue seas fuse box. Used the socket connection version, not direct wire, thought would be easier, and if bike wrecked or sold, can pull off and put on new bike easily and return bike to stock. As I was already doing the filter and plugs, bike was stripped. Side cowlings, lower cowling, trim, dash, all removed so that tank could be removed. Your install will be easier because less panels to remove, just the instrument cluster/dash and trim. Run wires back to battery or fusebox, make connection to one of existing sockets, plug new sockets onto headlights, route modulator light sensor to selected mounting location, drill hole, mount modulator(chose to ziptie the modulator and relays to existing harness), then mount and button her up. Headlight is noticeably brighter in both low and high beams, and modulator really gets you noticed. I had several cars get out of my way this morning, though a couple were mad when they saw I was not a LEO. Oh well, shame they are not educated about modulators. :p

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Not sure what happened to Jim but I saw on his web page he will be in the hospital until the 27th. Hope he is doing well.
I bought the relay kit without modulator and am leaning toward plug and play to allow easy ability to go back to stock. Just wondering if that makes an unsightly mess with those connectors and relays that have to be bundled somewhere up front.

Tim
I'm pretty lazy when it comes to dressing up wires and cables. I tucked the harness down near the back of the headlights. Out of sight, out of mind.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have the relay kit with the modulator as well. I used the plug-and-play method as I want to be able to go back to stock if needed. I zip-tied the cables to make sure nothing was loose and velcroed the modulator/relay combo to the inside of the left fairing. I ran the wire harness under the tank and along the main bike harness on the left side of the engine, zip-tying as I went. I then hooked the wires into my AP-2 fuse box kit which I got from Jim. Here is the fuse box side of the setup... ignore the somewhat loose wires by the actual fuse box, I'm still working on getting everything tucked down.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I just put my Eastern Beaver Modulator on a few days ago. I really like it.

I went with the plug and play version, installation was a snap. I like being able to take it to the next bike without cutting things up.

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
I also did the plug and play thing.

What I haven't done yet is permanently mount the modulator's light sensor. I've got it zap-strapped to throttle cables. I don't relish the thought of drilling any holes and it seems to work okay there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ordered today

·
Premium Member
220 Posts

What happen to Jim?
Which one might you have?

Fetzer valve
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Fetzer valve may refer to:

A fictional part of an engine, introduced in the movie Fletch and also mentioned in Drowning Mona
A solid-state amplifier circuit used in live music, designed to imitate certain tube amps

·
Registered
529 Posts
I also did the plug and play thing.

What I haven't done yet is permanently mount the modulator's light sensor. I've got it zap-strapped to throttle cables. I don't relish the thought of drilling any holes and it seems to work okay there.

I have the Kissan (moved it from my SV to my RT to my WEE) and mount the sensor to the left side switch wiring and clutch cable with zip ties. Works like a charm.:D

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Anyone of you had the headlight relay kit for a long time?
I seen this kit featured on the back of Motorcycle Consumer News that i just got yesterday.
It was tested: 2.16 more volts to the headlights, and thier Luminance meter showed 50% more light! :cool:
But the engineers at Sylvania said it would reduce bulb life dramitically.
12v would give a 7500 hour bulb life and 14 would give 1400 hours.!!! :bom_thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Well thats good to know.
I wonder if a modulator increases or decreases bulb life? Maybe i'll get both from him.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I think I've had mine one season. I did 18,000 miles last year- no modulator and no problems with 33,000 miles total.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I think I've had mine one season. I did 18,000 miles last year- no modulator and no problems with 33,000 miles total.
I guess even at 1400 hours that is alot of miles and wouldn't lead to replacment very often.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I think I read somewhere (probably on a modulator site) that they're supposed to increase life as the bulbs are running cooler due to being on less than full time.
From the ones i've looked at the headlights dont shut off, they just drop voltage and become dimmer. But they may not all be like that.
That may increase life as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts