StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, yes I'm electronically challenged, and apparently even with "plug n play" wiring.

Installing a few different things this weekend, one of which is the EB H4 Headlight Relay kit.

All plugged in and my high beam switch appears to operate my low beam and vise versa.

I pulled the sockets (female) out of each of the headlamps and replaced with the EB plugs. I ran the wiring harness along the right side of the bike and then used the longer wired socket to plug into my left side bulb and the shorter wired socket on he right side. I then took the "male coupler" (right?) and plugged it into the back of the right side socket.

What else am I missing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely! The EB site has been an awesome reference while installing the PC-8 and a couple other accessories. Though I have and continue to read back over the EB site, for whatever reason this one isn't registering with me....

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Either you put the 3 conductor plug in wrong somehow or Jim wired the kit wrong.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the 3 prong coupler will simply plug into the back of one of the female sockets that are part of the EB kit and replace the OEM female socket? Right...

Then tape over both of the now unused OEM sockets...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The female sockets on the kit are for the lights. The male kit socket is for one of the stock light sockets.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I installed the 4H relay a couple of weeks ago. There was really only one way to do it I felt. I wonder if the wiring is somehow incorrect on your relay as Greywolf suggested.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
So the 3 prong coupler will simply plug into the back of one of the female sockets that are part of the EB kit and replace the OEM female socket? Right...

Then tape over both of the now unused OEM sockets...
NO...you should only have one of the OEM sockets that are unused. Like Greywolf said...The female sockets go to the lights, and the male socket goes to one of the OEM sockets. That only leaves one OEM socket unused.

Here's the Instructions from Eastern Beaver.

"Installation: Unplug the existing H4 headlight socket(s) from the headlight bulb(s) by carefully pulling it back from the bulb until it comes off. Do not force it if it's stuck. You might have to rock it a bit to get it loosened enough to come off.

You now have two choices to connect to your bike headlight's low and high beam wires:

1 - H4 Coupler Option:

If you are using the H4 Coupler to plug into your bike's H4 Socket, make sure you have read the H4 Socket Cautions page. You might also want to re-read the pros and cons of each connection method on the Main H4 Page.

Plug the H4 Coupler from the kit into the bike's H4 Socket you just pulled off the bulb. If you have H4 Dual headlights, you will plug the H4 Coupler into only one of the bike's H4 Sockets. The other will not be used so tape and tie-wrap it up out of the way. Make sure you insulate all old H4 Sockets as on the H4 Cautions Page.

Now plug the kit's female H4 bulb socket(s) onto the bulb(s). Make sure any rubber bulb shield is back in position properly."

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input folks.

Nuts and bolts, the male coupler appeared to be wired correctly, per Jim yellow wire up top and white wire on the left when looking at it from an "upside down U" wire side view, but yet I still had the high beam light when switch was low beam.

I put the OEM plugs back in place and switch worked correctly, thus discarding my brief thought "was it always like this?"

Switched the yellow and white wire positions on the male coupler and bingo...works as it should now. Apparently a mix in the wiring from the normal color schematic at a relay.

Anyhow, all is well and thanks for the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts