StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got around to installing the EB relay kit on my 2006 Wee. I took my time and removed the lower plastics for better access. It went very smoothly after reading numerous posts on this site as well as the EB directions for the install. I decided to just use the existing H4 connectors so taped and zip tied the extra one up and fastened it to the faring support out of harms way. The cable I routed along the left side of the gas tank to the battery. A few more zip ties and all was secure. I made sure to check everything both electrically and for clearance before reinstalling the plastics. All in all a very satisfying job. The EB stuff is well made and goes together like the directions say.
Here's a few pics:

This shows the cable to the battery with the in line fuse:

Here you can see the relays zip tied to the faring support. The blue connector is Jim's HD disconnect which I had ordered:

Here you can see the unused stock connector taped and zip tied to the faring cross member and the EB connector installed. This is the right side head light:

Left side semi naked. If you noticed the tape on the turn signal I took the opportunity to replace that also:

And finally a shot of the Eastern Beaver kit before the install:

I would highly recommend the Eastern Beaver gear. It only took about 10 days to ship from Japan to Nova Scotia. The H4 relay install is easily within the abilities of most home mechanics.

Earl

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I think the headlight harness is the first and most economical way to get more light. Easy, cheap and increases reliability along with more light.
The halogen bulbs do burn brighter, and burn out faster, at least mine did. I went through four before I switched to HID.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The halogen bulbs do burn brighter, and burn out faster, at least mine did. I went through four before I switched to HID.
Hey Tom, just how often were you replacing the halogen bulbs? I really have no need to switch to a HID system, unless the H4's start burning out too frequently.

Earl

·
Registered
588 Posts
I installed an HID kit over the winter and got to take full advantage of it this past Friday nite, down in your area. I did a South Shore run with a handfull of friends with over an hour of riding well after dark on the #3 from Lunenburg to Bridgewater and surrounding areas. The HID's are AMAZING at driving light well ahead, especially in the corners. Greywolf recommended these ones in 4300K , (Thanx again, GW!), and they were a breeze to install. ~$80 and arrived in a week.

As I recall, I emailed the guy at the website and told him I was a Stromtrooper and he cut me a deal as well.

Just went back and checked that link and it looks like they're even cheaper now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed an HID kit over the winter and got to take full advantage of it this past Friday nite, down in your area. I did a South Shore run with a handfull of friends with over an hour of riding well after dark on the #3 from Lunenburg to Bridgewater and surrounding areas. The HID's are AMAZING at driving light well ahead, especially in the corners. Greywolf recommended these ones in 4300K , (Thanx again, GW!), and they were a breeze to install. ~$80 and arrived in a week.

As I recall, I emailed the guy at the website and told him I was a Stromtrooper and he cut me a deal as well.

Just went back and checked that link and it looks like they're even cheaper now.
Thanks Jeff, good info to have if I do go that route in the future. Sounds like you had a good ride. The weather has been cooperating nicely.

Earl

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Hey Tom, just how often were you replacing the halogen bulbs? I really have no need to switch to a HID system, unless the H4's start burning out too frequently.
I posted about it here at the time, including mileage figures, but it's been 3 or 4 years since the switch and I don't recall the numbers. Of course, it's no big deal to carry a spare H4 bulb and I did that too.

It's the low beam that burns out. I have yet to install HID on the 2012, and I do have a relay kit that will be going in at the same4 time.

·
38,047 Posts
The HID kits I've used already have a relay and only one is required as hi and lo are not fed separately. There's no need to get a relay kit if going to an HID kit that includes a relay.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Earl
Have just installed the EB loom, after enduring total light failure in the dark
Has anyone else experienced frequent halogen bulb failures like Tom? Would be interested to hear what causes these failures from any techies out there

·
38,047 Posts
I added an Eastern Beaver relay kit early on before I went to HIDs. Stromin'Nroman has the maintenance chart on my old bike so I don't have the mileages offhand. When I went to HIDs, the bike still had the original H4s in it. I'd guess that was at about 50,000 miles. The stock bulbs are excellent. If the replacements were typical off the shelf items, that could have had an influence.

·
Registered
275 Posts
About 7000 Km since I installed the EB relay and no problem with the OEM bulbs. I guess my headlights are about 15% brighter. It really makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
If I install this can I run the H4 Halogen, 80/100 watt Osram/ Sylvania brand high output bulbs?

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
On the headlight relay does anyone know why according to EB's instructions only one of the bulb connectors has to be connected when there are two?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am about to install this too. Looks like the connection to the battery (or your fuse box) supplies the power directly to the headlamps, both new EB H4 connectors go to your bulgs. The original headlight socket (one of them) is used as the trigger circuit for the relays (lower draw on that circuit now).... thus you end up with one original headlight connector not used.

·
Super Moderator
16,243 Posts
I am not convinced this kit is necessary, of course I have probably jinxed myself now. :mrgreen:

·
38,047 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,243 Posts
1 - 20 of 91 Posts