StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right forum, and I apologize now - I am not an electrician so please pardon what I am betting is a dumb question.

I am looking at the Eastern Beaver 3CS for my new bike - plan is to run a GPS, a cigarette socket (probably via a Bags Connect set up) and possibly heated hand grips later on. I want to be able to run an air compressor off the cigarette socket (probably never need it, but want the ability to).

My question is this - given my understanding from the EB site - the 3CS pulls power from the Rear Tail Light - If I was running my GPS, charging my cell phone AND running heated grips, could I blow the fuse for the Rear Tail lights?

Am not sure I am doing a good job of asking my question (mostly because of lack of knowledge on my part!) - basically I would think the source would have an upper limit (regardless of the fuse limits in the 3CS that is driving the accessories) - so is it possible to not overdraw the power/current on the 3 accessories but still overpower the power source?

Or has greater minds than mine already figured this out and I should not be concerned?

TIA,

GG

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It pulls power directly from the battery/charging system... The tail light power is only used to switch the relay in order to suppy the power to the 3 circuits (as I mentioned earlier is directly from the battery).

Richard

·
Registered
302 Posts
Richard basically covered it- the wire to the light only acts as a trigger to run the relay on.

The only thing I'll add- since you mentioned a cigarette socket- is to consider a Powerlet socket instead. It's smaller, more robust, and positively engages. I had a cigarette socket on a previous bike that I was using to power a GPS, and the plug would vibrate itself loose and lose contact. Of course, I would discover this only after the battery on the GPS was nearly depleted. Cigarette sockets aren't a great solution on a moto, IMHO.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The Powerlet Company also makes high quality cigarette sized outlets. Marinco boat cigarette sockets are also good on motorcycles, and West Marine brand sockets are about the same as Marinco at a lower price. The Powerlet special sized plugs and sockets are great when they can be used, but they can't be used when the cigarette plug for a device contains a voltage reduction circuit.
Shop by Category - Powerlet Products

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Powerlet vs. Cigarette adapter

My plan is to wire my GPS directly to the battery - and then into a Fusebox or 3CS (once I stop being so lazy and order it), so I am not concerned about the power plug for the GPS coming loose.

I will be ordering a Bags Connect system with the electrified tank ring. The ring will be wired into the fuse box/3CS and inside the bag will be the cigarette adapter. It's main use will be to recharge my ipod or cell phone, and in an emergency, possibly run an air pump. While vibrations will be an issue for the ipod/phone, I am not too concerned about it.

Then again - with my luck, I will be posting about the problems I had with my cigarette adapter in about 6 months :mrgreen:

GG

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all from Italy!

Sorry in advance for my very poor knowledge of electrics...

I just installed the 3CS kit on my k10 DL650 ABS, the only difficult thing was to reach the "switched" connector under the coolant tank.

Then, I'm going to install Denali D2 kit I ordered with full wiring harness. In the instructions ( http://www.twistedthrottle.com/filemanager/download/3172/ ) in page 3 (or 4, depending of two options, but it's out of scope here) there are wiring diagrams.

In diagrams we have:

- 2 lights (connected to the control box)
- the control box
- POS (with fuse) and NEG running from control box to battery
- relay connected to control box
- switching wire connected to relay.
- high-beam wire (out of scope here).

My question is: how can I mix this kit with the 3CS? I'm really confused :)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
To use them together, follow the Denali wiring diagram except for the connections to the battery. Instead, connect the red and black leads from the module that would normally go to the battery to one of the three sets of red and black outputs from the 3CS. Don't use the inline fuse that comes with the Denali. A 20A fuse in the 3CS for that output will handle fusing.

·
38,048 Posts
The switched 12 volt Power Wire on the Denali harness can go to the output wire from that "switched" connector under the coolant tank, the one that goes to the 3CS relay. I noticed another pic of the 3CS shows the outputs as red/black, yellow/black and white/black. Any of those three will work with the Denali red going to one of the non black wires for hot and black to black for ground.

·
Registered
14 Posts
:thumbup:

As any other strommer here, I must say: thank you GW. Not only for helping this ignorant newbye I am, but for everything you do for making this forum interesting and useful. And for the clearness you use to explain concepts :)

·
38,048 Posts
I'm happy to help. We retirees need to keep busy.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
For newer bikes (2011 ABS) I would recommend considering using the EB tail connector instead of the rear brake connector. It is not expensive at all.
The reason is, it is much easier to install it than the rear brake connector which is buried under the coolant tank.
And an added value of the EB tail connector is getting other wires for the same effort - running lights, turn signals.
These can be used for other uses: Hooking up the top case or adding additional lights.

BTW: I managed to to very cleanly install 4 several electrical components without usage of a fuse box. The advantages are cost, and space. There is no need to place the fuse box which takes volume. Of course, a fuse box is more versatile and allows easier all-in-one-place management of fuses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I already have the EB tail connector because one of farkles I've just mounted is an AdMore led kit for my K49 baggage (the kit is designed for Givi V46, but it fits perfectly as K49 is Givi rebranded). At first I was scared about removing rear fender... but it was easier than I supposed to, the only annoyance was Givi sidecase rack.

Originally I would not to tap wires so I chose the 3CS with take switching wire from rear brake connector. It seems stupid, but I wanted to win the struggle against the connector location :biggrinjester: ... as I'm (very gradually!!!) trying to put my hands on the motorbike and learning some how-to stuff.

So, I think that putting together GW advise about mixing Denali and 3CS, and the inevitable need to tap the switching wire even using power from a 3CS circuit, I think I will connect Denali direct to battery with its fuse and tap the 3CS switching wire coming from brake connector. So I can save room to install on 3CS the 2 12v sockets I'm going to buy and leave one circuit free for next expansion.

Thank you all for you suggests, this forum is a great resource!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts