StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or is it 3SC?? Whichever.....

I've read over the online install directions. I've looked at the harness. I can't figure out what the cable in the lower right corner of this pic goes to. Can anyone help me out?

PS, I know next to nothing about electronics, etc. Use of layman's terms is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
It goes to the tail light. Unplug the light from the factory harness, plug the EB harness in line with the light and factory harness and off you go. It triggers the relay.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It's your switched power plug. As stated, it is connected to the rear tail light plug (mine was under the coolant reserve tank). Simply unplug the tail light connector, then plug that 3C plug into it... then plug the tail light connector into the 3c adjacient part. You're basically splicing into the tail light power supply. When you turn you bike on, the tail light lights, engaging the relay an now those 3 circuits become live...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Okay, thanks for the help guys! I found the tail light plug.....at least I THINK it's the tail light plug! LOL Only one in that area with those kind of couplings or whatever you call them!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Well...it's not in the tail light!

As stated above, the connector is under the cooloant overflow tank (between the gas tank and the seat). It's a bear to get at, but it can be done. Don't need to take off any plastics, IIRC.

EDIT: I see you've already found it...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
That's likely to be the rear brake light switch connector. The tail light connector is exposed by taking off the rear fender. Either will provide an ignition on relay power source.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next dumb question......I intend to connect my GPS and two 12V outlets (one Powerlet, one "cigarette lighter" sized). One of the outlets is dedicated to running my Slime pump in the case of a flat and the other to charging my cell phone and anything else. What fuses would I need? I'm guessing a 5 amp fuse would be fine for the GPS, but what about the other two?

And thanks for the help again folks....I was completely befuddled by the switched power/tail light thingy.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Next dumb question......I intend to connect my GPS and two 12V outlets (one Powerlet, one "cigarette lighter" sized). One of the outlets is dedicated to running my Slime pump in the case of a flat and the other to charging my cell phone and anything else. What fuses would I need? I'm guessing a 5 amp fuse would be fine for the GPS, but what about the other two?

And thanks for the help again folks....I was completely befuddled by the switched power/tail light thingy.
Well the cell phone won't use much. Even a 1amp fuse should work fine. However, the compressor will need a fair size fuse. I am only guessing, but maybe a 20amp fuse? For a clue, you could look at the guage of wire that the slime uses... The thickness of the wire will indicate somewhat of how much power the unit draws.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My slime pump came with a 15 amp fuse in the cable provided. I've heard people say they only use about 5 amps, but I think there is some peak startup current. I'd go with 15A there.

I've hard wired a Garmin Zumo 550, and a Garmin Zumo 660, both came with a 2A fuse in the provided cable. I'd go with 2A there as well, definitely not more than the 5A you are considering.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Next dumb question......I intend to connect my GPS and two 12V outlets (one Powerlet, one "cigarette lighter" sized). One of the outlets is dedicated to running my Slime pump in the case of a flat and the other to charging my cell phone and anything else.
Do you really need a dedicated outlet for the air compressor, which is an occasional use item? If you want to have it, that's fine, but I don't think it's strictly necessary. Just fuse the one outlet to handle the compressor's load and either get a car-to-powerlet adapter or replace the end on one of the items. Just a thought.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do I need one? Maybe, maybe not. I think of it as insurance. The mounting location is kinda pointless for most other applications. Heated clothing is the only other thing I can think of. It's a nice clean look, so what the heck. I had the money so if I get a flat, I'll have a place to plug the pump in with no problem (I've already ordered the Powerlet/cigarette adapter).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't know the schematics of the pump itself, but there are some appliances that still use power even when turned off. The Strom's weakness IMO is a wussy electrical system that can't handle everything we all want to install (aux lights, heated grips, heated clothing, GPS,Phone etc) at once. A multimeter would be able to tell.

If it does, and if you think that eventually you might be pushing the limit of the Strom's electrical system by adding more stuff, it might be worth not hard wiring it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
One electrical addition can save watts in daylight riding, a single headlight cut off switch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts