Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info regarding the VStrom East gathering? Dates? Location? I'm a noob and want to try and get dates on the calendar if I can. It seems like it's usually in May and has been in Western NC. Does that change frequently?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
The Gathering has been at The Iron Horse, Stecoah, NC the last 5-7-9 years ??? Some members have voiced "boredom" with riding the same area year after year, but no one has found a better location that has: cabin rental, primative camping, bunkhouse lodging, a Lodge to use for all our gathering functions, manicured grounds, spotless RR's, great food, and Owners who bend over backwards for our group.........The Iron Horse has all these. Not to mention, great riding roads within a 50-100 mile radius. We have already booked with them for 2015 again.
I don't have a 2015 calender, but it is the weekend after Mother's Day, and before Memorial Day weekend. It has typically occurred the same weekend as the ADV Rider's Rick's Rendezvous (sp).....sometimes you have to just pick your battles. We had 85 strommers at this year's event..........

Go under "Events" and you can dig up previous year's threads with pics....... :thumbup:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,084 Posts
Looks like May 15,16,17 Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Unless Thursday is also part of it?

Anyway, there could hardly be a more perfect gathering area than the hosts at Ironhorse provide. While some may claim boredom at having it at the same venue year after year, it would be hard to improve on the riding conditions in that area. Maybe different, but not necessarily better. Coming from the flat, straight Houston area I am completely satisfied with having it there again...and again.....

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Boredom? LOL! Good one!
Tell them to come ride with me.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
i rode dirt on last years rally . I hated it! But all riding with me loved it. that was my first ever dirt and where we went was beautiful and only an hour away. It rained too. But iron Horse is the place to be when it rains. It is probably the best place in the world for a rally as there are just to many places to sit down (out of the weather) and talk, read, or just veg out. Every spot at the iron Horse looks brand spanking new, but it is well past 10 years old. AS for the food, i don't paraticipate regularly as i can't order before I'm hungry. But all those i saw eating were loving it! I enjoyed the last Ricks rally i attended too, but that is a different type rally i think.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Blaspheme! How can anyone hate riding a motorcycle on dirt? :confused:
I know! to qualify...this was graded gravel, mostly fresh and not packed down. 6 bikes with me in the middle going faster than i felt comfortable with...front tire frequently slipping out, for like 3 hours!. i would do it again though :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
new to forum, just bought '06 dl1000. live in central IN, any events that go on in the local area?? I always enjoy bikes on meridian in downtown Indy when motogp comes to town, but looking for a ride, maybe with some dirt. Thanks.

·
Registered
705 Posts
new to forum, just bought '06 dl1000. live in central IN, any events that go on in the local area?? I always enjoy bikes on meridian in downtown Indy when motogp comes to town, but looking for a ride, maybe with some dirt. Thanks.
From another central Indiana Vstrom owner, welcome to the forums. Yep, MotoGP weekend gets WILD sometimes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know! to qualify...this was graded gravel, mostly fresh and not packed down. 6 bikes with me in the middle going faster than i felt comfortable with...front tire frequently slipping out, for like 3 hours!. i would do it again though :)
I believe I was with you.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I've yet to be able to come to one of these and now I've moved just TWO or so hours from the site. Unfortunately this is the month we plan our vacations so it will matter which weekend it lands on.

With any luck I can come and camp that weekend!

And yes, I hate gravel on the Strom. Yes it will take gravel but it isn't the most pleasant of experiences for hours on end.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Reservations already made with the Iron Horse for 2016.......pretty sure we kept it the weekend after Mother's Day weekend. Typically, there is one "free" weekend between Mother's Day and Memorial Day Weekend.......but for 2016, there are two "free" weekends. I believe we made it for May 12 thru May 15.
Rick's Rendezvous (huge ADV Rider Rally) is typically the same weekend as our Eastern Rally......maybe not for 2016 (since there are two fee weekends)????

1 - 20 of 26 Posts