StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INstalling a center stand on my 650 took hours and I still could not get everything lined up properly. Given how awkward it was to get under the bike with it on a side stand and try to line everything up I don't feel to bad about this epic failure.

But having see how a Honda center stand can be attached to an Africa Twin in about five minutes I am hoping a 2018 V-Strom 1000 will be much easier to install, depending on brand. The Honda has two nubs that you slide the center stand on and then use a snap ring to keep it in place. The Motech stand on my 650 had multiple brackets where one attached to the other and it was indeed a royal pain in the ass.

Any consensus as to which stand would be easiest to install on a V-STrom 1000?

NC

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I just installed an SW Motech center stand on my 08 650 and all told I think it took me about 45 mins. The toughest part was getting the spring installed. But I have a motorcycle lift and a belly pan strong enough to lift the bike. If I didn't have that, yeah, it would have been a Royal PITA.

So I'd still vote for SW Motech since their stuff has always been top notch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree - the stock center stand I installed on a Honda NC700X was the easiest ever. Just installed a Suzuki center stand on my '17 650 XT and the worst part was the spring. But still not too bad.

The absolute worst ever was an SW Mototech center stand I installed on a '15 Versys 650LT. Hours and hours of brackets, bolts and ill fitting parts. Not knocking SW Mototech because I have installed their stand on a previous Wee with no problems.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
NC, I used the oem Suzuki centerstand on my '14 DL1K. It fit like it grew there. As for installing the springs, I used a automotive brake spring tool, they were on in 5 seconds.
I still can't figure out why some riders think "OEM=BAD, Aftermarket=GOOD" on everything they think they have to hang on their bike.
Kinda like how I dont get why some riders on motorcycle websites list all the mods they've done and all the aftermarket BS they put on their bikes. Is this some kind of contest? lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 16 1000 SE. All the SE stuff came separate including the centre stand. Took maybe 15 mins. to install with the bike on the side stand. Easy peazy! Suspect the 18 uses the same one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Another option to get the spring on very easily is a really big Phillips screwdriver. I used a #3 and it slid right on with my SW Motech stand.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I installed the OEM stand on my 18 1000. All the parts bolt on SO easy that it was almost silly. The springs were the biggest challenge as they are really stout.

Jhat- Large Phillips screwdriver, hey that's an excellent idea!!

·
Registered
468 Posts
OK, I'll ask the dumb question: Why are people installing center stands? They sound expensive, sometimes difficult to install, and probably add some weight and reduce ground clearance. Is it mostly for chain maintenance? Tire changes?

·
Registered
522 Posts
OK, I'll ask the dumb question: Why are people installing center stands? They sound expensive, sometimes difficult to install, and probably add some weight and reduce ground clearance. Is it mostly for chain maintenance? Tire changes?
That, and the bike takes up less space in the garage.

·
Registered
670 Posts
INstalling a center stand on my 650 took hours and I still could not get everything lined up properly. Given how awkward it was to get under the bike with it on a side stand and try to line everything up I don't feel to bad about this epic failure.

But having see how a Honda center stand can be attached to an Africa Twin in about five minutes I am hoping a 2018 V-Strom 1000 will be much easier to install, depending on brand. The Honda has two nubs that you slide the center stand on and then use a snap ring to keep it in place. The Motech stand on my 650 had multiple brackets where one attached to the other and it was indeed a royal pain in the ass.

Any consensus as to which stand would be easiest to install on a V-STrom 1000?

NC
Something is wrong... Maybe it wasn't built right? Everything should line up easily. It's 5-10 mins to bolt it down and 30 minutes to develop the right spring mounting technique. What brand?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I had SW-Motech's on both my 2013 650 and now 2014 1000 would would call them 30 minute jobs realistically. Probably a third of that was putting the springs on and I have a tool for it. I laid the parts out on the instructions on the floor and they both went right on. NO alignment issues. I guess I don't get "hours" unless there was some kind of a manufacturing issue?

I can lube the chain in under a minute with a centerstand (I will bet that some with only a side stand tend to neglect the chain more). I had a rear flat a few times and it was perfect. I would call them near-necessity on a 500 lb. class bike. Weight is non-issue. Don't be cheap. >:)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
BH, I installed a centerstand on my DL1K for various reasons:

1) I dont ride dirt so ground clearance isnt an issue for me.
2) "Expensive" is a relative term. I received enough $$ from my employer and coworkers upon retirement that all my accessories were free.
3) For its size and my purpose(Sport-Touring) the Vstrom1000 is a lightweight, weight not an issue.
4) Chain maintenance, general cleaning, and servicing is easier.
5) 4 bikes in my garage plus 2 cars, the bike on its centerstand takes up less space than on the sidestand.
6) "Difficult" depends on your skill level and tools. And if it is difficult, it's only difficult once.
I'm all for whatever makes the total ownership/riding experience easier. Besides, I just flat wanted it. I have one on my '81 CB750K, had one on my(long since gone) '85 GPz900r Ninja, and would love one on my ZRX1100. I'd use it for sure. Many times accessories are discontinued and are unavailable after a length of time. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it and not be able to get it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My SV650 (only other bike I've ridden) never had one and I never really wanted or needed one, but these reasons make sense to me. Not enough that I would cough up close to $300 for one, though. :yikes:

I have a bunch of aluminum tubing scrap in my shop and made my own version of the Pack Jack for my SV. It won't cost me anything but a little time to make another one for this bike. A quick and easy way to pick the tire up enough to spin it is really handy for lubing the chain.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Bighammer-

A center stand is not $300. You can find them for ~$225 including shipping. I guess it's up to you whether a center stand is worth the price.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The oem Suzuki Accessories center stand lists for $285, I paid $242 for mine. I've seen a couple of sport riders who took their centerstands off because they felt it inhibited their cornering abilities. But outside of those 2, I've yet to find a rider that regretted putting a centerstand on his bike or hated the fact that his bike came equipped with one.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
sometimes its easy to stretch the spring out on a bench first and insert coins in the spring, after install pull them out, has worked great for me many times,

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Very smart idea. Put a SW Motech on my ‘18 XT today and the only hassle is the spring. The install is straight forward.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Something is wrong... Maybe it wasn't built right? Everything should line up easily. It's 5-10 mins to bolt it down and 30 minutes to develop the right spring mounting technique. What brand?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Dbardell and NateHarris at least partially agree with me. This is certainly not an I-told-you-so post so don't take it that way. But trying to line up multiple brackets and bolts is a PITA. And I am not knocking Motech as all their other stuff I have owned worked awesome.

It was an SW Motech. At the 2:10 mark you can see the bolts and brackets I am referring to. In my garage on my back with the bike on it's side stand I kept cross threading this. The dealer acknowledged that this install would be much easier if you can have the bike on a stand and you can work on the bike at eye level while sitting on a stool.

I am reasonably mechanically inclined and gave up and took this to the dealer.

NC

1 - 18 of 18 Posts