StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading some posts about some people doing an oil change before 1st service. Well I decided to go ahead and do it. I had some extra Mejier brand sitting in the garage and I also put about 1/3 qt. of Lucas Oil Stabilizer to make up for the "cheapy" oil. Been doing some research on the Lucas products and have read nothing but good. I also put some in my truck as well.

I have 130 miles on my Wee right now and am planning a trip to So. KY at the end of the month and don't know if I'll have enough miles on it for 1st service before we leave. I'm going to try and put as many more break-in miles on it before we leave to seat things in better.

Any thoughts on early oil changes? The thought of all those little metal particles running around in the oil was driving me a little crazy :?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oil filters

I forgot to mention that for those of you not wanting to shell out $13 or whatever from Suzuki for one. Walmart carries a Fram PH6018 and is specified for the DL650. It was $6.84 + tax. My Eiger quad takes the same filter, so now I can get two for one! 8)

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you follow the train of thought, and I do, that you should break your bike in by riding it hard then doing an early oil change is a must. I really do believe that most of the metal shaving will occur within the first 100 miles and having all of that debris inside your engine is NOT a good thing. Regardless, other then some $$ spent on new oil and filter what do you stand to loose?

Wingman

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
wingman said:
If you follow the train of thought, and I do, that you should break your bike in by riding it hard then doing an early oil change is a must. I really do believe that most of the metal shaving will occur within the first 100 miles and having all of that debris inside your engine is NOT a good thing. Regardless, other then some $$ spent on new oil and filter what do you stand to loose?

Wingman
I agree VERY much!! I would never use cheap oil or filters...at least use a good dino oil. I know that there are other filter options, but I will ALWAYS use the OEM filters. I ran Castrol in mine the first 2 changes, then switched over to Mobil 1 15W50 full syn. I did the first oil change around 150 miles.

R

·
0 Posts
while i understand this train of thought, i am left wondering why suzuki does not recommend doing this, as it would definately increase their dealer profits?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
filters

Hey BigB!

I mostly agree with you on OEM filters, especially on bikes. I've been using Frams on my cars and trucks for years to no ill effect, though.

I'm not running to the Dodge dealer to get a filter every time I want to change oil in my Dakota. I have no idea what they cost, but you know it's more than a Fram from Wallyworld.

The main reason I used a Fram on this 1st change was because I know I'm only going to put 4-500 miles on it. When I bought my bike, I also purchased what they call a Honda Pit Pass at Dreyer Honda in Indy. All my scheduled maintenance is "free". So I know for 3 yrs. i'll have OEM Suzuki filters put in it. Plus they guarantee I can get my bike in within 24hrs of calling and have it back in 48hrs.

Time will tell if I wasted my money on the Pass or not, but at least I don't have to worry about not getting it in for service because of short funds or something. Thanks for your input! :wink:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I changed my oil & filter at 100 miles, then at 500. The first was store brand dyno and the second was Mobil-1 15w-50. I did the same thing on my K5 and there were quite a few metal bits on the drain plug. The K6 has just left a bit of metallic "dust" on the plug. I get Wix filters at O'Reilly for about $8.

Where'bouts are you heading in KY? I grew up in Casey Co.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
Re: filters

stromin'taylor said:
Hey BigB!

I mostly agree with you on OEM filters, especially on bikes. I've been using Frams on my cars and trucks for years to no ill effect, though.

I'm not running to the Dodge dealer to get a filter every time I want to change oil in my Dakota. I have no idea what they cost, but you know it's more than a Fram from Wallyworld.

The main reason I used a Fram on this 1st change was because I know I'm only going to put 4-500 miles on it. When I bought my bike, I also purchased what they call a Honda Pit Pass at Dreyer Honda in Indy. All my scheduled maintenance is "free". So I know for 3 yrs. i'll have OEM Suzuki filters put in it. Plus they guarantee I can get my bike in within 24hrs of calling and have it back in 48hrs.

Time will tell if I wasted my money on the Pass or not, but at least I don't have to worry about not getting it in for service because of short funds or something. Thanks for your input! :wink:
Very good and valid points, but.....what works good in cars/trucks may not be up to par for bikes. How does the back pressure relief system measure up to the OEM filters? Also, aren't you a little worried that if you DID actually have an engine issue under warranty, that the dealer would really give you hell for using aftermarket filters while under warranty? They may even go so far as to "try" and void your warranty for using a non recomended filter. Sounds like you have a pretty cool dealer though. :wink: Suzuki is known for having pretty high quality oil and air filters for their bikes. I rarely look at price... I just buy it if it is good stuff.

Do you plan on doing much maint yourself, or will this "pitpass" cover it all? You must REALLY have a trustworthy dealer.... I would let few dealers touch my bike for anything. Good luck and enjoy that bike!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KY

We are heading from Indy taking 421to Frankfort or Georgetown to spend the night, then plan on meandering toward Maysville via 62 or 68 possibly some other routes we've looked at on the map. Any suggestions on some goods roads in the area that you're aware of? If you live around that area let me know and maybe we could hook. There will be 4 bikes on this trip. Thanks for the response! :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pit pass

BigB,

You've dfinitrly made some valid points about the warranty issue. I really don't think I'll have a problem with Dreyer. They are th oldest Honda dealership in the country and have an excellent reputation. But you have made me a bit paranoid, though! :?

I'll be making normal checks and adjustments myself until the pass is over with. I've done most of routine maint. on my bikes for years, but the older I get, the less I'm into it. Heck, If the filter on my truck wasn't so easy to get to, I wouldn't do that! :lol:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Re: KY

stromin'taylor said:
We are heading from Indy taking 421to Frankfort or Georgetown to spend the night, then plan on meandering toward Maysville via 62 or 68 possibly some other routes we've looked at on the map. Any suggestions on some goods roads in the area that you're aware of? If you live around that area let me know and maybe we could hook. There will be 4 bikes on this trip. Thanks for the response! :D
There are lots of good roads along 68/62. I'll get my KY atlas out and see if I can come up with anything. I do live in the area (about 15 miles south of Georgetown) so I tend to just head out without really knowing what the road numbers are.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ky

Hope we can hook up then. I know we'll have a good time. Maybe you could PM your phone # so I can keep you informed of where and when we arrive down there to make our rendezvous a little easier. Let's keep in touch! :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here is my routine: Oil and filter (OEM) at 300 and 600 miles. I only use Castrol 10-40 dino, nothing else. I have 28,000 miles on my Nighthawk, no problems, original clutch.....enough said.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
nighthawk said:
Here is my routine: Oil and filter (OEM) at 300 and 600 miles. I only use Castrol 10-40 dino, nothing else. I have 28,000 miles on my Nighthawk, no problems, original clutch.....enough said.
Enough said??? :lol: Please tell me that you are joking, it's a miss print, or I have read this wrong! You say that you change the oil/filter at these mileage intervals? If that is the case.... then that is the biggest abuse of oil and filter waste that I have EVER heard! Did you mean 3000 or 6000 miles instead of 300 and 600? I don't mean to sound harsh, but all that oil needs to be recycled somewhere, and you might just be responsible for keeping them in business! If you just did a miss print, then I am sorry for the razzing. :wink: If you were being serious....then you need to visit Oil Changers Anonymous!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey BIG B, you misunderstood my post, I thought it was clear enough considering this topic was about a service interval for a new bike, but I will be more specific: 300 and then again at 600 miles for a NEW MOTORCYCLE.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
nighthawk said:
Hey BIG B, you misunderstood my post, I thought it was clear enough considering this topic was about a service interval for a new bike, but I will be more specific: 300 and then again at 600 miles for a NEW MOTORCYCLE.
Clear as a window now!! :wink: Sorry for the tongue lashing....guess that It would have been nice, if I had remembered what the post topic was all about! Guess that I didn't get enough sleep lastnight....it has afected my brain. MY BAD!!!!!

Nighthawks are great bikes by the way! :)

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
For what it is worth:

As long as my bike is under warranty, I use OEM filters and oil, and go by the manual. I could save a couple of dollars with other brands (what...maybe $20 over the year?), but I figure it is cheap insurance in the event of a warranty fix-- a possible problem removed. I save the receipts, since I do some of the servicing myself.

Sorry, but I won't buy from W-M. While I have to admit I didn't buy the bike from a local dealer a mile down the road (he couldn't come even close to another dealer 300 miles away), I'll buy my supplies from him. I like working on my own stuff, so I'll try to save some $ on minor servicing, but then I won't mind spending major $ at the dealer's for major service, tires, repairs etc.

My oil filter purchases won't make or break this dealer, but I noticed W-M doesn't work on Suzukis. I know it is kind of two faced, but it works for me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Oil and filter changes as prescribed in the owner's manual are quite sufficient.

First of all you don't have as much debris in the oil as you might think because the "big" pieces in the microscopic sense are trapped in the filter media. Second of all the engineer that designed the engine and prescribed the maintenance schedule knows a little bit of micro-crud actually helps the engine break in properly.

As for non-OEM filters and oil, if you use good-quality stuff and keep your receipts, the factory cannot deny your warranty claim. There's a federal law called the Moss-Magnuson Act that says so. Of course the local shop would like you to use their stuff. If they are good people and they take good care of you, you just might want to throw 'em a bone and buy it. Otherwise you are completely within your rights to buy other than OEM oil and filters.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Since we are talking about oil, and filters. I have always got Scotts oil filters for my dirt bikes. My buddy told me they also make them for street bikes. I looked it up, and ordered the Scotts oil filter for my V. I have to say that the quality and craftsman ship of this filter is excellent. I highly recommend it. I know the price is a bit steep, but it will pay it self in the first 10 oil changes. At the rate I am going this wont take to long.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts