StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asking a saleman what models to be leary of ,and he told me "early 2000 1000cc. " so I ask you guys/girls what 1000cc model years specificly were problematic?? for instance I should not buy anything older than __ model year.

·
Vendor
5,257 Posts
2002 and 2004 DL1000 have fewer windscreen options. However, while the Gen 1 V-Stroms have known issues, they also have known fixes for those issues. At least known to forum members. Maybe not every salesman out there.

And to keep it in perspective, just about every bike has some kind of known issue. You might have heard teh same thing about early ST1300s or KLR650s in general, but all are generally loved by their owners once the known issues are addressed. And an early DL1000 has accumulated more than 400,000 miles (documented and recognized by Suzuki) all without anything more than fixing the known issues and the maintenance suggested by Suzuki in he owner's manual.

Someone hear started a tread about known issues on DL1000 and their fixes. Maybe someone can link it?

Personally I would not hesitate to take a well maintained early DL1000 around the world, except that I currently own a 2nd Gen DL1000 perfectly outfitted for me personally. Once you get one ft for you it becomes hard to move on (at least for me) so I just add to the stable.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Don't you mean 2002 and 2003? The 2004 windshields are the same as later ones.

I understand why folks would be a little hesitant. There are known issues that were never addressed by Suzuki and the fixes are expensive or booty fab when you consider the bike is going to start out costing 2k or so. The magnet issue is crazy, seriously JB weld? And Suzuki never updated the part. When my magnets exploded and I had to buy a new rotor it cost over $300 and still has the magnet issue. The clutch chudder will cost you $320 or so. The rear spacer issue will cost you $50 plus whatever else it destroyed. Now a year later after purchase my DL1000 is in decent shape and I would ride it anywhere - but I've got more money into it than it is worth and could have bought a better bike with the money I spent.

That being said, they are decent bikes once you have them sorted out, so maybe you can get lucky and find one that is already all fixed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2002 and 2004 DL1000 have fewer windscreen options. However, while the Gen 1 V-Stroms have known issues, they also have known fixes for those issues. At least known to forum members. Maybe not every salesman out there.

And to keep it in perspective, just about every bike has some kind of known issue. You might have heard teh same thing about early ST1300s or KLR650s in general, but all are generally loved by their owners once the known issues are addressed. And an early DL1000 has accumulated more than 400,000 miles (documented and recognized by Suzuki) all without anything more than fixing the known issues and the maintenance suggested by Suzuki in he owner's manual.

Someone hear started a tread about known issues on DL1000 and their fixes. Maybe someone can link it?

Personally I would not hesitate to take a well maintained early DL1000 around the world, except that I currently own a 2nd Gen DL1000 perfectly outfitted for me personally. Once you get one ft for you it becomes hard to move on (at least for me) so I just add to the stable.
well I was more concerned with the engine and drive train .. not really the windscreen.

·
Administrator
17,101 Posts
Go to the 1000 section for 02-12, you will have all the experiences of others over years and years to read. :)

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
well I was more concerned with the engine and drive train .. not really the windscreen.
For some reason people here are obsessed with the windshields and buffeting. I think it has something to do with not being able to support the weight of their heads while riding ;)

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
thanks its quite a well writen post.. just quickly read thtough it . will return to it later.
That is a good list - I'll add one more thing to that. If you are replacing sprockets and chain, consider gearing the bike down a little if it has not already been done.
Stock is 17/41 and the gears are really tall and make OD unusable under about 80
I swapped mine to 17/43, some go to a 16/43 but that would be too low for my freeway use. Once you do that you will want to add a speedo corrector, which is nice because the stock speedo reads high and you can get it dead on.

There is a long thread here discussing the options and opinions

·
Vendor
5,257 Posts
The reason for mentioning the windscreen was because there are VERY FEW options and buffeting was such a concern that Suzuki redesigned the front end of the bike almost immediately. In bike model years 2 years is about as fast as a manufacturer can discover a mistake a fix it. It's no small thing on the 2002 and 2003 models. Those options are drying up as the years pass and people quit making them, moving on to newer model production because that is where they make their money. It's a big enough issue that I would look for something 2004 and newer exclusively.

VSRI was pretty active back then and I believe the owner of the forum owned one of the earliest bike's so there is a lot of good information there as well the Stromtrooper forum area Big B mentioned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts