StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Requesting input from the prairie dwellers out there!

I have just purchased a DL650 K6. My dilemma is I live on the south coast of B.C. and the bike is in Winnipeg. My options as I see them are:

1) Ship the bike home and have it to ride here and now or,

2) Store the bike in Winnipeg and ride it home, but be without my new Strom for a couple of months.

Not counting a possible freak blizzard, (I'm not waitin till June)
what is the earliest time frame you would attempt to ride across the prairies for a reasonably comfortable ride? I'm thinking mid-April? Could I get away with it in March? Bear in mind that I don't want to have to re-paint the bike when I get it home due to being sandblasted by leftover sand and salt.

Thanks for your help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
I'm in Minnesota but that's likely close enough: the earlier in the season you push it, the more at risk you are for a sudden change in the weather. It might be 55 and sunny day one, the next it could snow. Also, all the nasty stuff they put down all winter to keep cars from sliding off the road is still there which isn't exactly helpful either- a good few days of heavy rain are needed to clear things up. Net, net, your March odds are 25/75, April moves it to 50/50, May more like 75/25. You might be fine at any time, particulary given the odd winter we are having but on the open road in the middle of now where, if things change quickly, your options are rather limited. I's shoot for late April or sometime in May if I were you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rider33, that's kinda what I was thinkin'. March would be pushing it, especially since there are a few stretches of prairie with NOTHING for miles and miles. Waiting till near the end of April would be killer as we usually have at least some beautiful riding weather then. I was looking forward to the ride :( but I think I'd rather have my bike close at hand for those three months :-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
V1vr,
That's a tough situation. It would take two long days of serious riding to get home and on an "unfarkled" bike (no electric heat, bigger windshield, etc) cold weather travel could be unpleasant and risky(who knows how good the dealer prep would be). If you can't wait for two-three days of clear weather and somehow get to Winnipeg instantly - I say ship it. You cannot wait three months to get the bike!!!! You must be riding!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,454 Posts
V1vr, consider shipping, could cheapest and quickest. Talk to Heavy about shipping, he had his bike shipped last summer. Good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Put it on the train and start riding next week!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've still got my Connie to see me through the next couple of months,.. and three days of serious riding I was looking forward to. BUT the weather and the roads were my main concerns. Having the perfect weather "occur" for three days exactly on my days off would be the huge question.

I'm leaning heavily towards the shipping option, leaving major road trips for better moe predictable weather.

Aleady talked with Heavy, WW. He gave me the thumbs up, ..pretty stress free, they do all the work, it arrives, roll it off the truck ,fire it up and away you go. Gotta like that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,454 Posts
Excellant option.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top