StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They claim to be the "Worlds Finest" Natural Ear Plugs. :green_lol:

I don't know how natural they are,but they are certainly the finest I have ever used.

These aren't anything like the expandable sponge type or the stem style plugs I am used to.These are more like Play-Doh that molds to your ear.

C'mon,surely you guys/gals remember Play-Doh? Mmmmm that wonderful tasting Doh :green_lol:Anyways....

Once molded and sealed in your ear all wind noise is gone.But,you can still hear the important things like your motor, emergency vehicles or the voices in your head.

My only complaint is sometimes putting your helmet on you break the "seal" so you gotta start all over "sealing" it again.I guess I could whine about shipping costs also but now that I have used them I think it was worth it.

Hope somebody finds this attempt at a gear review useful :seeya:

Rhett

Highest Blocking Moldable Ear Plugs

·
Registered
944 Posts
As an old goat, I've been very stringent on protecting my hearing ability for 30 years and it has paid off. The play-doh type looks like an excellent design but when you mentioned about losing the 'seal' when putting your helemt on, I had to back off since I know exactly what you describe. Lately, I have found some very good foam type from one of those well known home improvement stores. They are a deep purple color and slightly longer than any I've come across before. Once put in my ears, the helmet hasn't yet caused me to lose that seal. I really like them and the price is right....plus, they last long. I actually wash them in diluted shampoo, tamp them dry with a towel, and finish with an hair dryer on low. Only works for 2 cleanings and then they just don't do well anymore.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Tried the expandable foam, not that good and they get grubby and go sort of hard after some use.

Tried the mould-able ones, they get grubby and have limited life too [Blutack works as well and you can buy it in any newsagent- supermarket- 7Eleven].

I am now using some "stemmed" or "mushroom" type ones with a triple "mushroom" head on them, they are a type of soft rubber that flexes very well to fit in to the ear [a little "spit" makes them easy to seat fully in the ear- yeah I know, you all just said "yuck". Here is a hint though, put a tiny bit of spit on your finger then put it on the ear plugs, don't lick the ear plugs :yikes: ].
These do, however, work exceptionally well at keeping noise out but still letting you hear enough of what is going on around you.

My best plugs though are actually my headset for my Android phone.
I use the brand SkullCandy, they are super effective as ear plugs and give me the added advantage of being able to answer my phone without removing my helmet and also being able to listen to music or the radio while I ride, plus I can use the phone as a GPS for navigation directions with audio direct in to my ears.

·
Registered
197 Posts
A new, but less fun use for K-Y Jelly

For 5 or so years I used E A R brand plugs. After trying many brands back in 1970's, the E A R plugs blocked the most sound.

Then, I had an epiphany - - I smeared a very small amount of K-Y Jelly on my finger tip and rubbed it in my ear canal. Next I pushed the closed cell foam plug in my ear. To my surprise, it slid in effortlessly and deeper than I had ever had done before.

My next surprise was the substantial increase in attenuation. It surpassed that of E A R plugs, the moldable "wax" plugs mentioned in a previous thread and all other types of plugs that I had tried.

As a side benefit, after using K-Y Jelly for several times, the jelly softens the ear wax which can be expelled from the ear much easier.

The only problem is that you must use a "closed cell" type ear plug of which most plugs are made. E A R plugs are open cell and the K-Y jelly is absorbed and, hence, offers very little friction reduction so the plug does not go in easily or deeply.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Then, I had an epiphany - - I smeared a very small amount of K-Y Jelly on my finger tip and rubbed it in my ear canal. Next I pushed the closed cell foam plug in my ear. To my surprise, it slid in effortlessly and deeper than I had ever had done before.
Did you light some candles and open up a Merlot beforehand?

I've got some Skullcandy buds, but never thought they'd fit in my helmet, bein' all hard plastic and all...might give em a try. Usually, I'll just jam some paper towel [fibers work!] in my ears and be done with it - easy, cheap, and available anywhere, and it knocks out the high frequency annoyance sounds.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
My only complaint is sometimes putting your helmet on you break the "seal" so you gotta start all over "sealing" it again....
Exactly! That is why I like the helmet shown in this recent pre-ride pic (I was heading to SC to vist the Ma and Pa Smoke). The holes at the ears allow adjustment of the earplugs after donning the helmet. ATGATT

·
Registered
774 Posts
Ear plugs are both tricky and important to get right. More places should offer stations where you can try (and then throw away) ear plugs. After using many different foam plugs, i went back to my childhood swimming plugs. Mack's silicone plugs are comfortable all day and block a good amount of noise. They get dirty quick, but are cheap enough that I don't care. I buy ~12 pair for a few bucks. Each pair lasts 2-5 days. Small price to pay for comfort and good attenuation.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ear Defender

I've also tried the previously mentioned types (except for the KY method) with little joy. Then I broke down and bought Ear Defenders. They're a custom molded plug that fits in the ear canal and the outside is fairly flush so your hat doesnt' remove it from your ear. And since I was getting the ear plugs, I also bought some with speakers in them for listening to music. They're simply the best! The music can be at lower volumes and you can still hear what's going on around you. I got mine at a bike show, but you can get yours at most any audiologist.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got some Skullcandy buds, but never thought they'd fit in my helmet, bein' all hard plastic and all...might give em a try. Usually, I'll just jam some paper towel [fibers work!] in my ears and be done with it - easy, cheap, and available anywhere, and it knocks out the high frequency annoyance sounds.
I love my Skullcandy ear phones! :hurray:

I got the ones that have a microphone so I can use them with my cell phone.

The problem is that no one can hear me when moving because of all the wind noise. I can use them as just ear plugs or I can rock the tunes with no wind noise at all. The best part tho, is when I stop to talk on the phone I don't have to pull my helmet off or use speakerphone for all to hear!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Only one way to go - custom plugs:

I have another set with some Skull Candy earphones built in. Need to test them properly yet...

·
Registered
813 Posts

The guy molds the plugs in but they can be removed. In fact the problem I have at the moment is that they pull out of the ear-plug when I put my helmet on - going to try some super glue soon...

BTW: these plugs and the ones in the previous post are my second set of custom plugs from two different suppliers. These are far superior than my previous ones - smaller, softer and more comfortable.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Those are awesome! I'm gonna have to find somewhere in the states that can do that for me... Thanks
Checkout an audiologist. Also ask to see some samples - go for a softer material.

I was given a set of temporary plugs (made while I waited) that will probably only last six months as the material shrinks. The guy guaranteed the other plugs I got (and the ones with ear phones in) for at least 8 years although the material supplier reckons 50 years...

Don't drop 'em down a drain...:headbang:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just purchased the green foam ear plugs on Amazon for $23.00 decrease the noise by 33db. They work great, I use them 2 or 3 times then get new ones.

·
Registered
495 Posts
my second job is as a concert photographer. Sometimes I shoot 2-3 gigs a week, and I shoot a lot of heavy metal.

I buy the highest decibel rated earplugs available, by the box. 33 or higher.

I keep a handful in my jacket and another handful under the seat.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Skull Caps

As some have mentioned in previous postings, some (many) types of ear plugs will lose their seal when donning your helmet.

My solution to that is to wear a skull cap. The cap will cover the ear plugs and permit the helmet to slide over the plugs without dislodging them. As an added benefit, your helmet will remain clean. All your dirty dandruff will be absorbed by the cap.

The disadvantage is that before donning your helmet, you look really stupid - - sort of like a giant baby. I have learned to put on my helmet at the speed of light.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Audiologist, it's simple

See an audiologist. It's what they do, and while you're there, get a baseline hearing test. Most will give you a basic test for free, and they're good at keeping records (unlike our aging memories). If you need hearing aids, you'll have a set of "custom molded plugs" made as the "form" for the hearing aids. Just ask for a second set for your bike. They can make them very deeply inset so donning the helmet doesn't cause issue.

By the way, audiologists are a dime a dozen, if you don't find a good one first try, WALK OUT, and go find another. When you find a good one, be loyal. You ARE going to need hearing aids one day, maybe now... just ask your wife:yesnod:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a pack of the silicone ones that look a lot like these. I noticed the seal breakage issue when putting on my helmet too. My only other complaint was how gross they start too look after you reuse them a few times. I moved on to Radians Custom Ear Plugs. Amazon.com: Radians Custom Molded Earplugs: Sports & Outdoors Super cheap and awesome. They don't block out as much but they block out enough. Every few months, I clean mine with an old toothbrush. Many of the inside the ear buds with silicone fittings seem to do a decent job at blocking sound as well if you want music without the price of custom ear plug ear buds. I think I can probably make some custom ear buds with the Radians if I were motivated enough.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Peltor ear plugs

Pelto Next "Tattoo" disposable earplugs work great and are cheap. I bought a box of 200 pairs a couple of years ago and have used only about 1/2 of the box. Typically I use them for about 3 days and toss them when the accumulation of ear wax makes them too disgusting to put into my mouth to wet them before inserting. Some spit helps; can't say I've tried KY jelly in my ear. They are small and do fit both my wife and I well. They are easy to put in once you learn the trick of reaching behind with the other hand and puling back and downwards on your ear to open the ear canal.

http://www.peltor.com/peltor.com/peltornext/tattooplugs.htm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts