StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With your help, I decieded on a Givi E52 topcase w/brake lights.
Easy to install, lots of room and looks great on my dl650k6.

Have a couple questions about the brake light harness that I couldn't find with the search, and the mounting base(givi) came with no instructions ?

It was pretty obvious where to punch out the plastic and snap in the harness end. No problem.
But where do I go from there ? (BTW, I'm electrically challenged).
I found the color coding here, but..... 1.)what is the best way to run the wires to the vstrom wiring behind the tool kit ?

And when I get them routed,..... 2.)what wires do I hook the blue and black wires from the harness to ?

They included two blue connectors with the kit, but I'm not sure how to use them.

I'm sure it's pretty simple to a lot of you, but I'm at an impass here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
LongRider said:
With your help, I decieded on a Givi E52 topcase w/brake lights.
Easy to install, lots of room and looks great on my dl650k6.

Have a couple questions about the brake light harness that I couldn't find with the search, and the mounting base(givi) came with no instructions ?

It was pretty obvious where to punch out the plastic and snap in the harness end. No problem.
But where do I go from there ? (BTW, I'm electrically challenged).
I found the color coding here, but..... 1.)what is the best way to run the wires to the vstrom wiring behind the tool kit ?

And when I get them routed,..... 2.)what wires do I hook the blue and black wires from the harness to ?

They included two blue connectors with the kit, but I'm not sure how to use them.

I'm sure it's pretty simple to a lot of you, but I'm at an impass here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

I've just posted a review of this process on my web site. Look it over--it should be self-explanatory. If you need more info on using the Scotch-Lok wire taps let me know.
http://www.reverendbiker.com/vstrom/givilight.htm

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Reverend,
I think even I can follow those directions.
BTW, nice web site and helpfull information.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it.
God speed,
Jim

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
When I did the kit for my E52 I spent a bit of time overthinking it.

I ran the wire it in the gap on the right side where the heat shield mounts. I had concerns that doing the route straight to the seat might put pressure onthe wire when people sit in the back. I did not want to drill hoes or cut the part like Reverand did as I suspect that ridge diverts water from getting into the under-seat area. I was able to hookup the connectors to the tailights by undoing one of the bulbs. The only change I did from the kit was to mount a quick-disconnect inlne (I read about doing so elsewhere... it wasn't my idea.)

..Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tom,
I think I'm going to drill a small hole and then use some rubber cement or silicone to seal it. I do ride in the rain.
I'll look your method over when I get a chance to look at it this evening. Just hard for me to picture it without it starring me in the face.
Gives me some options and that's great.
Blue Sky's,
Jim

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK........I must be dim witted.
Last night I installed the E52 topcase.
This evening I installed Kouba lowering links, raised the forks 3/4", installed new windscreen on my madstad brackets, installed hand guards and SW-Motech barbacks and risers.
No problems on any of these.
Saved the brakelight wiring till last. After reading the Reverends instructions, I figuered it would be a 15 minute job.
Here's the dim witted part.
I can't get the gosh darn bulbs out of their sockets.
I turned them c-clkwise, I pushed them in and turned, I tried turning them clkwise, I did a jig and whistled Dixie.
I took it to my cousin's house and let him have a try.
Alas, to no avail.
WHAT am I doing wrong???
If there is a secret incantation, would someone PLEASE let me know what it is!!!
Yours truly,
Dim-witted Jim

·
Registered
180 Posts
Stand on one foot, jump up and down, rub your belly and turn the socket C-clockwise with your free hand.

Think happy thoughts too.

V.

8)

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Vordak's got the key--you're just not holding your mouth right. :wink:
You're on the right track--just press in slightly on the bulb holder and twist counter-clockwise. Pull the one on the right (brake) side of the bike--it has more slack in the wires, and you'll need all you can get.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
>> blue (+) to white clable with black line
>> black (-) to black cable with white line.

Polarity is not important.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Everyone.
I don't know if it was the chanting, standing on one foot or crossing my eye's, but I got the bulbs out today.
Used the supplied connectors and had the job done in ten minutes. Snapped the case back on and viola.
I read some posts about the lights being dim. I got the case with the lights already installed. Just 2, not the 4 I've seen on the kits. They are a lot brighter than I expected. I am pleased. Maybe they have been upgraded to stronger bulbs?
Now waiting on my Dan V. road pegs.
Blue sky's,
Jim

·
Registered
961 Posts
You might as well throw those lights away, they will only work for a short time. The contacts can't take the constant movement.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks 805gregg.
But I think I'll wait until they quit working first.
If they do, I'll hard wire them and put in a quick disconnect. I like the extra visability.
Best,
Jim

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
805gregg said:
You might as well throw those lights away, they will only work for a short time. The contacts can't take the constant movement.
Man, aren't you a ray of sunshine? :wink:
Not exactly a long-term test, but I had this setup on a DL1000K3 for over 2 years and 10k miles and the lights were working perfectly when I sold the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
24,000 miles on my Wee and my lights gave up the ghost a long time ago. Dealer installed it, but they no longer work :roll:

Reverendbiker said:
805gregg said:
Man, aren't you a ray of sunshine? :wink:
Not exactly a long-term test, but I had this setup on a DL1000K3 for over 2 years and 10k miles and the lights were working perfectly when I sold the bike.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bulb, loose connection, what's wrong with them?
Might be a five minute fix.
Mine are very bright and I love the extra visibility. If they do go bad somewhere along the way, I'll either fix them or have them fixed.
Good luck with yours.
Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts