StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just got done installing the front E07 Dakar on my Glee.

Removing the stock front was easy, getting the E07 on was difficult but manageable. The stiff sidewall is really stiff!

That all took an hour. the next two were spent trying to get the damn bead to seat. I tried every trick in the book but one section about 4 inches long just wouldn't seat. I tired valve core in, valve core out, rachet strap, two ratchet straps... Even resorted to staring fluid and a lighter.

I finally got it seated after inflating it to 50lbs and bouncing it around the garage for 15 minutes.

I am not looking forward to doing the back tire!:headbang:

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Take it to a tyre shop to mount.. less frustration. The alternative is to look at sourcing the correct tools for the job. Plenty advertised on the internet-net.
I gave up using the 3x tyre lever, rubber hammer, ratchet and finding enough space on the work bench thing. The tyre walls of the modern tyres are too stiff.
In the 1970 /1980's I used to change the tyres myself, but now that I'm older it is easier to pay to have it done. Wiser too, as the rim is checked, the wheel is balanced and down time is minimal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take it to a tyre shop to mount.. less frustration. The alternative is to look at sourcing the correct tools for the job. Plenty advertised on the internet-net.
I gave up using the 3x tyre lever, rubber hammer, ratchet and finding enough space on the work bench thing. The tyre walls of the modern tyres are too stiff.
In the 1970 /1980's I used to change the tyres myself, but now that I'm older it is easier to pay to have it done. Wiser too, as the rim is checked, the wheel is balanced and down time is minimal.
Well that's no fun!:smile2:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Maybe try warming the tyre up to make it more flexible. Cold tyres can be really stubborn.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
Lube the beads with something good and slippery. I use NoMar paste and they'll seat without even making the big Pop!! noise. I've also used diluted car wash soap in a spray bottle in a pinch.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sometimes there is a tiny piece of dirt or tire rubber stuck between the tire bead and rim. This causes enough of a leak to prevent the bead from seating.
I had this problem on my last tire change and none of the usual tricks worked. I finally cut a .040" thick piece of plastic about the size of a credit card and, after lubing it with soapy water, inserted the plastic between the tire and rim and ran it all the way around on both sides to dislodge whatever was causing the bead leak. Instant fix.

Reactions: TTS

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Maybe try warming the tyre up to make it more flexible. Cold tyres can be really stubborn.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I did have my garage heater on and used a hair dryer to loosen it. The area I was having issues with had been tightly banded for shipping and I was out of town for a week. I think it sat like that for too long.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
729 Posts
50 PSI is nothing. I've gone 60-70 to get tires to seat.
Jeez! I'd be a bit nervous waiting for the "pop" at 70psi, lol. I do have a compressor that I used for my siding nailer that would easily hit 70 or more.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When I insalled mine the front was worse i thought ,rears had a litttle more give ,wider sidewall

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I've used Ruglyde but found No Mar paste even better. I have the original Harbor Freight tire changer with a Mojo Lever & Mojo Blocks plus a Marc Parnes balancer...so I change all my own tires.

I have one of those 5 gallon air tanks that fills up to 100psi + and use that to hit the bead hard and fast with air.

I do wonder if the Dakar version ( extra ply) is needed on a lighter Strom vs say a GSA.

I was one of the instigators on ADV to get Mitas to finally import tires in the US.
may I introduce myself | Adventure Rider

I've been thinking about a Shinko 804 front with a E07 rear.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since I know you are all waiting with baited breath...

I installed the rear tire today in about 1/4 of the time. The old tire was a little tough to get off the bead after 12K mi but the new E07 went on without a problem.

I am using the Counteract balancing beads from Revzilla to balance the tires. They were a little tough to get through the valve stem but seem to be working great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts