StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I'm going to mount new tires over the weekend and plan on using dyna beads in them. Has anyone had any experience both positive and negative with them?

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I'm going to mount new tires over the weekend and plan on using dyna beads in them. Has anyone had any experience both positive and negative with them?
No experience with them but MCN tested them and didn't recommend them.
Sorry I can't quote the issue.

Lately I've been using Tire Sealant | Puncture Repair | Flat Tire Repair | Tire Protection Systems for Motorcycle, Automotive, ATV and Heavy Equipment - Ride-On. By the way I have no relationship with Ride On other than being a consumer. Ride on was recommended by Larry Grodsky aka Mr. Motorcycle Safety.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
You should try rosary beads instead.

But seriously, this issue has been beaten to death on every motorcycle forum I've ever looked at.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have used them in a few tires and have no issues. I haven't run without them so I don't know if the tires are balanced without them, but after a few tires I will keep using them. Simple and cheap - just like me!

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
This will descend into an argumentative abyss similar to that for oil...
I am about to replace a front BW at 13,000 mi. It is not as cupped as earlier ones.

Here's what I said in a Honda ST owners site:

FWIW, my experience, no proof implied or intended.

I've been running db front for 13Kmi(1oz) and rear 6Kmi(2oz) with Bridgestone Battlewings. 45mph and up the beads are quite effective. I always change my own tires because tire service in the states is mostly of poor quality and high cost. Also, static balancing: I've never been any good at it.

I do know some guys who got beads stuck in the valve when checking pressures. I check with the stem base down somewhat and tap the valve. Never got one stuck. Even if you get a bead stuck all you have to do is blast some air in to dislodge it.

Slime and that type of emergency fix fluids I don't use. I do use the "sticky worm" plug. The beads will stick to anything sticky. I don't see a problem. A few beads are out of action.

Will continue to use.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Dynabeads seem to be working well for me. I have them in the Strom tires and in the truck's snow tires plus conventional weights. Both run smooth and are wearing more slowly than I expected.

I say "seem" because I haven't tested them. I'd like to see someone with a balancer mis-balance a tire, note the vibration, then add Dynabeads and see if it smooths out.

The Ride-On, to the extent that it balances tires, does so by the same physics that works for Dynabeads, Equal, Centramatic, and other centrifugal balancing. My concern with Ride-On is that it adds a half-pound of unsprung weight to each tire (not a good thing), but ride reports don't indicate that this is a problem.

By the way, Centramatic is making their centrifugal balancer units to fit the wheels on certain Goldwings and Harleys as well as for big trucks.

Centramatic's video

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Please...no flaming allowed.

I wish folks would take 2 minutes to look at the various sections and place their questions/comments/concerns/evaluations, etc in the proper sections.

Dyna Beads or otherwise..is not Wee Specific.

It would be so much easier if members would post info in the sections that have been set up for different catagories. :fineprint:

Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Been running them in my Goldwing for the last 3 sets of tires with no problems, and on the DL set of tires right now and still no problems with tires or handling.
I hope that helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a couple onces of Airsoft pellets in my rear tire at the moment, workng fine. Well, either working fine, or the tire was in great balance when i happen to put it on! Someday I will take a look to see how they are holding up..but same concept as db.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everybody for the fast replies. I know the question is not wee specific but neither are chain, brakes and brake fluid, windshield and other such questions that I see on here all the time. I asked here because this thread always has more people viewing it most of the time. Thanks for the replies and I will go away now.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Thank you everybody for the fast replies. I know the question is not wee specific but neither are chain, brakes and brake fluid, windshield and other such questions that I see on here all the time. I asked here because this thread always has more people viewing it most of the time. Thanks for the replies and I will go away now.
Mike92,
Try this in a Google dialog box: Site Stromtrooper, Dynabeads. You will find more information then you wish to.

I am one of the original fans of Dynabeads and started a thread about them a couple of years ago. Yesterday, I vacuumed them out of both tire carcasses, and will never use them again.

I will not go into the issues of, "Do they really work, or don't they." What I will tell you is, if you use Dynabeads, you MUST carry an air compressor, and a valve core removal tool with you. No matter how you go about checking tire pressure, inevitably some beads are going to stick in the valve, inside the stem and they will force the valve open while checking tire pressure. There is NOTHING that you will be able to do except, remove the valve core, clean the Dynabeads out of the valve, reinstall the valve, then reinflate the tire.

This has happened to me three times. Once in 2008 while out on the Gaspé Peninsula. Once in 2010 while on a trip in New Brunswick, Canada. And the third time in my garage just the other night before leaving on a very long day trip. That is three times this has happened to me, and I will never let it happen to me again!

In my opinion, Dynabeads should NOT be used in your motorcycle tires.

I hope this helps you make a decision about what you want to do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Barry for the timely advice. I do carry the slime compressor under the seat with a plug kit and other junk. I will be sure to throw in some valve cores and the remover if I use the beads.

I have the Aerostitch balancer and will see what's what when I mount the tires. I just don't like the automotive style wheel weights that are presently hanging on the sides of the wheels. I don't know if they came from the factory like that as I bought the bike used. I bought a big package of stick on weights awile ago and they do everything but stick. LOL. Anyway I had planned on balancing the wheels then mounting the tires and see what's needed from there. Thanks again!

·
Registered
858 Posts
you don't even have to open a separate window, if you click the search at the top of the page, the bottom box is a google search box just for this site.

if you must use a tire balancer, consider getting ride on sealant tires. it also will balance tires, and has the added benefit of sealing a tire if you need it. it is also a heavy gel, so will be less likely to clog your schrader valve

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
some beads are going to stick in the valve, inside the stem and they will force the valve open while checking tire pressure. There is NOTHING that you will be able to do except, remove the valve core, clean the Dynabeads out of the valve, reinstall the valve, then reinflate the tire.
Will a puff of air from a compressor clear the valve?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I dated a girl before that could

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Will a puff of air from a compressor clear the valve?
How long does it take for you to dig out your air compressor, and get it set up, compared to how long it takes for the air to leak out of your tire? Keep in mind that the valve is stuck open on the tire, and air is escaping from the tire at a rapid rate.... While you are trying to get your compressor out and get it set up, most likely the tire is going to be flat before you get a chance to try your idea out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts