StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've been using the Counteract tire balancing beads, they've worked well for several tires changes done on 2 DL650s.
The trick is to getting the hang of pushing them through the valve stem with the plastic tube they provide, you have to be patient and do a bit at a time.
You can buy just the replacement beads but they're not exactly the best bargain out there. I've found that I can re-use the beads when swapping a tire if I'm careful to dump them into a bucket when I take off the worn tire.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Use them in the last three sets of tires I've changed and they have been awesome, don't see me going back to wheel weights anytime soon.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've used some sort of balance beads for the last three or so tire set changes. Initially I used the real Dyna Beads brand and had no issues. Attempting to save $$$ I ordered some replacement from an eBay seller (in Arizona I think) that sells them by the ounce. I tend to install them between setting the first and second tire bead. I have been able to get them installed through the tire valve stem, with the core removed of course, but was a real pain and took quite a bit of time. I've had no balance issues using them although I tend to agree the "science" is a bit voodoo to me.

Rick

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,306 Posts
I have changed and worn out scores of motorcycle tires. I have balancing equipment. Don't use it very often, usually just to check the rim ( without tire ) is in balance and often the factory weights that are on the bike seem to do just that.

On every tire that I have not balanced, I have had no vibrations, no abnormal wear, or any other problems. So, if that is the case, how can anyone say that beads or goo in the tire helps?

Should I ever get a tire that feels wrong, I will be very suspicious that there is a problem internally and it will likely come off.

Tires are so much better quality than they were year ago that I don't think there is enough weight imbalance in them to matter. I do put the painted dots ( when they are present ) at the valve stem. I have tried 1/4 and 1/2 oz weights on the bike at random spots and really cannot tell they make any difference at any speed. I imagine 1 oz would. On every tire that I have checked balance on after mounting, I have yet to find one that needed 1/2 oz to be spot on.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I used Dyna Beads on several bikes. They work despite people who claim they don't.

Saying that I quit using them and switched to Ride-On sealant and balancer. It works too.

I got to thinking about the Dyna Beads and string type tire plugs. Seems to me that the beads would form a big clump on the repair. Never plugged a tire with the beads so no actual data to back that up.

The Ride-On stuff says that you can use a string repair which is good because the sealant only covers about a 1.5" down the very middle of the tire!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I have changed and worn out scores of motorcycle tires. I have balancing equipment. Don't use it very often, usually just to check the rim ( without tire ) is in balance and often the factory weights that are on the bike seem to do just that.

On every tire that I have not balanced, I have had no vibrations, no abnormal wear, or any other problems. So, if that is the case, how can anyone say that beads or goo in the tire helps?

Should I ever get a tire that feels wrong, I will be very suspicious that there is a problem internally and it will likely come off.

Tires are so much better quality than they were year ago that I don't think there is enough weight imbalance in them to matter. I do put the painted dots ( when they are present ) at the valve stem. I have tried 1/4 and 1/2 oz weights on the bike at random spots and really cannot tell they make any difference at any speed. I imagine 1 oz would. On every tire that I have checked balance on after mounting, I have yet to find one that needed 1/2 oz to be spot on.

+1

I didn't balance my last rear tire just aligned the dot to the valve stem, it rides fine. I've got Ride-On in the front but probably won't bother with the next one. Can't remember if I've ever had a flat front, a few rears but not many for the years I've ridden.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have Dyna Beads in teh front tire of my GL1500. Once I hit 80, there is a wobble. So, I stay below 80. Never had it happen before and I will not use beads again.

I have them in the 4 VERY heavy tires on my 5th wheel RV.

A person on a motorcycle RVer group swears by Counteract.

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
I used Dyna Beads on several bikes. They work despite people who claim they don't.

Saying that I quit using them and switched to Ride-On sealant and balancer. It works too.

I got to thinking about the Dyna Beads and string type tire plugs. Seems to me that the beads would form a big clump on the repair. Never plugged a tire with the beads so no actual data to back that up.

The Ride-On stuff says that you can use a string repair which is good because the sealant only covers about a 1.5" down the very middle of the tire!
Ditto.

Ride On I use Ride-On. :grin2:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have Dyna Beads in teh front tire of my GL1500. Once I hit 80, there is a wobble. So, I stay below 80. Never had it happen before and I will not use beads again.

I have them in the 4 VERY heavy tires on my 5th wheel RV.

A person on a motorcycle RVer group swears by Counteract.
Are you certain you have the correct amount in there I regularly do over 80 and it smooth as glass every ride.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Another user of Ride On. Three sets of tires on my old bike would drop pressure weekly. Standing in the car park, kicking a squeaky foot pump, was something I got very much used to. When I bought my Wee it wore Anakee 3's, and they would do the same. Check pressures daily, kick the squeaky foot pump, and go ride. I swapped the Anakee 3 set for a set of Tourance Next, loaded them with Ride On, and now have the most curious issue. My tire pressures change more from ambient temp than from air loss. In warm weather, I have to drop my pressure front and rear. Cold? Pump them back up. Pressures are checked once a week rather than daily, and rarely do I see variance of more than a pound. Tire wear has been terrific; 5k miles and the pair still look near new.

I'm sold on the stuff. Forget filling the tire with plastic BBs, use Ride On instead. It ranks with the Heads-Up volt monitor and Scottoiler for usefulness.

Reactions: Old Time Rider

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Anyone have any issues with Couteract beads breaking down in the tire. I had them in rear tire. Checked the pressure and it was OK. Checked that evening and it was down. Cycle repeated for a few days until I took the tire off and it was full of powder the consistency of talc. It was jamming the valve insert and allowing a slow leak. When I contacted Counteract they said it was impossible and it must have been counterfeit beads. Retracted that statement when I showed them the receipts.

I wished I had kept some of the powder go analyze but when you are stranded in the middle of nowhere, I didn't think of it. Never put them in again and I don't think I could be convinced to do it either.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts