StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fellow wee riders here in south africa we have very dusty roads almost like powder and i am experiencing excessive build up of dust on the rear wheel so much so that only the valve cap is visible on a long dirtroad hauls.can anyone advise me on how this problem can be rectified and has anyone expirienced the same problem.this eventually interferes with the balancing of the rear wheel making the bike uncomfortable to ride.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I don't know how far you mean by "long" but could you stop now and then and just lay the bike on it's right side and brush the dirt off? I know this sounds drastic to people who don't face drastic conditions, but it would take me an hour to tell you what it takes to keep a small aircraft flying under like conditions.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Dust doesn't build up on a moving object. Mud will (dries to dirt). Wash the durned thing once in awhile.

Kindest regards,

-Will

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
hello fellow wee riders here in south africa we have very dusty roads almost like powder and i am experiencing excessive build up of dust on the rear wheel so much so that only the valve cap is visible on a long dirtroad hauls.can anyone advise me on how this problem can be rectified and has anyone expirienced the same problem.this eventually interferes with the balancing of the rear wheel making the bike uncomfortable to ride.
Throw a small brush in your luggage and use it every time you fill up with gas. It will only take a minute to clean the wheels and should prevent an excessive build up.

I live on a gravel road and I'm always cleaning dust off the rear wheel. If I do more than 50 km of dirt it really starts to pile up on the rim. It's easy to clean off when it's dry. If it gets wet, well then it's pain in the ass.

SS

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Dust doesn't build up on a moving object. Mud will (dries to dirt). Wash the durned thing once in awhile.

Kindest regards,

-Will
Dust does build up on a moving object that can trap it, that is why the wheels are designed differently for a true dirt bike. The wheel cross section is more U shaped and it has lots of small spokes instead of a big hollow hub and 3 hollow spokes, and a nearly flat cross section rim.

dustmite 800 km of continuos dirt road

Any way you could strap an "air pig" on the back and use compressed air to assist in the dirt removal. It could then be recharged at the filling stations.

·
Administrator
13,827 Posts
If the dust is sitting on the surface of the rim (as opposed to inside the "spokes",) then a good layer of wax on the rim might help reduce how much the dust sticks. The was might not eliminate the problem, but it could slow it down and make removing the build up a bit easier. The problem is that the chain lube might still make the wheel sticky regardless of the wax (perhaps a teflon lube would help as well.)

..Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all u'r replies, I will in future take a small brush in my toolkit to clean the rear wheel. It is really very irritating when u do long trips on dirt roads and u must stop all the time to clean the wheel when u'r fellow bikers takes a brake. Otherwise it is a brilliant bike, performance wise and in the handling department.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
dustmite; If your going to keep the bike for the long haul you can look into changing out the wheels for dirt bike style. (search this site and adventure rider.) You may also want to have a look at your air filter about every 1000km. too! Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Dust does build up on a moving object that can trap it, that is why the wheels are designed differently for a true dirt bike. The wheel cross section is more U shaped and it has lots of small spokes instead of a big hollow hub and 3 hollow spokes, and a nearly flat cross section rim.
You're right; you've got a point. I was thinking of spoked wheels (don't ask me why) when I replied above in this post.

Kindest regards,

-Will

·
Registered
467 Posts
The 1/2 inch of find powder collecting on the rear wheel from roads here does wash off easily with a water hose. All except the fine film of dust, which is probably sticking to the film of oil that collects when riding the highway.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
africa

when i was a kid i grew up in kenya , lots of cars had a wing that stopped dust from collecting on the rear window . may be you could create some turbulance around the rear fender to halt buildup

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
It doesn't happen as fast, but wash out the inside of the hub now and then as well. The cast spokes are hollow and mud/dust collects inside the spokes/hub as well.

It's not a major problem until a chunk breaks off - the ride can get a bit bumpy then ;)

Peter

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi guys found a solution to the dust piling up at the rear wheel .fitted custom made alu side panniers on past weekend trip.no more dust in rear wheel thanks to the swirling of the air caused by the panniers

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
+1 dustmite. +1 cris swann You killed about 3 birds with one stone:yesnod:. Thanks for sharing. If dust eventually becomes a problem on the front wheel, perhaps a turbulance skirt could be fastened up there too. If so must have pics, would it look like an old Indian bike?:green_lol: Bob...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts