Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if they have changed their formula? All the cans I have previously purchased were the consistency and color of thick milk or wet glue. This can seems just like WD40...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The stuff in the blue can changed over a year ago. It is no longer a dry wax lubricant and not recommended for chains. DuPont's chain saver in the yellow can is now the dry wax lube for chains and I don't like it as much as the old blue can stuff.

DuPont Motorcycle Chain Lubes for 2012 - webBikeWorld

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Dupont also make a small bottle of chain wax. it's about the size of a cigarete pack. it packs in a tank bag, or in my case tool tube. I have no idea how many chain lubes are in one bottle, but it sure is convenient when on the road.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Dupont also make a small bottle of chain wax. it's about the size of a cigarete pack. it packs in a tank bag, or in my case tool tube. I have no idea how many chain lubes are in one bottle, but it sure is convenient when on the road.
Right, I just use the bottle for travel. I like the squeeze bottle, no overspray and you can get it at Lowe's if you run out on the road. I also don't like it as much since they changed the formula, I've gone back to Maxima Chain Wax for regular use. I'm hoping more companies start offering lube in larger squeeze bottles.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I don't like this stuff even for my bicycle chain. Dupont dropped the ball.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The stuff in the blue can changed over a year ago. It is no longer a dry wax lubricant and not recommended for chains.
:yikes: Really?! Glad I saw this thread. In the past I've usually bought 4 or 5 cans at a time and it lasted me a long while. Probably would have just bought a bunch more when the current batch runs out if I hadn't seen this.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Spoke with DuPont about a week ago and they said the lube in the yellow can is the same as the old blue can. The only difference is the propellant. The lube is the same. Still using the chain saver in the blue can with no problems.

·
38,049 Posts
Spoke with DuPont about a week ago and they said the lube in the yellow can is the same as the old blue can. The only difference is the propellant. The lube is the same. Still using the chain saver in the blue can with no problems.
That doesn't jibe with the webbikeworld article. The yellow can stuff goes on thicker than the old blue can stuff for one thing. My own experience is the new blue can stuff doesn't dry.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I don't like this stuff even for my bicycle chain. Dupont dropped the ball.
what don't you like about it? I like the convience and small container. I also like that it's a liquid that i can watch run from one o-ring to the next. it dries and does not attract dust and no fling off onto the wheel/swingarm. it does take me a little longer to apply, but i only use it on the road in a campground where i have lot's of time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I used the yellow chain saver at every gas stop.. just a quick application while on the center stand and at the end of the day will use the spray can chain saver to get a more complete coverage. My chain has almost 13k on it and everything looks great. The front sprocket may just be showing a little wear now but you have to look at it funny to even notice.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Has anyone been using the Blaster with PTFE? Available at most stores, a little thin but dries quick leaves a white residue so easy too see. Teflon in the mix.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I give up....Greywolf, you win

I'll never beat Greywolf in answering someone's question. He must have some sort of alarm that notifies him of every unanswered question.

I'm going to miss the Dupoint Teflon chain wax. My supply is nearing exhaustion.

What is everyone using as a replacement?

·
38,049 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where can the liquid performance chain lube be purchased? And do they make a small can for under the seat? I have purchased a small squeeze bottle of the DuPont, but haven't had to break it out yet...

·
38,049 Posts
Where can the liquid performance chain lube be purchased? And do they make a small can for under the seat?
I've only found the big can online. I have plenty of small squeeze bottles of the original DuPont dry wax lube left.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Where can the liquid performance chain lube be purchased? And do they make a small can for under the seat? I have purchased a small squeeze bottle of the DuPont, but haven't had to break it out yet...
Check the webbikeworld link Greywolf posted. WBB has an Amazon store that helps support the WBB site.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The stuff in the blue can changed over a year ago. It is no longer a dry wax lubricant and not recommended for chains. DuPont's chain saver in the yellow can is now the dry wax lube for chains and I don't like it as much as the old blue can stuff.

DuPont Motorcycle Chain Lubes for 2012 - webBikeWorld
Aha! I have recently noticed more chain noise than I was use to, and I had JUST recently bought more of this Dupont. I did notice the can was a different color, but I just figured they rebranded. I think you're right. This stuff doesn't dry like the old stuff, and just flings off. The last time I used it, the chain got nice and quiet for about a day, and then I could hear it again.

Time to switch. RIP Dupont.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'd like to add, that I clicked on the link for web bike world that GW posted, and while the comparison it linked to said this was their favorite, when you click on the "store" link on that site, it "now" recommends

KLOTZ OIL CHAIN LUBE KLR KL-611
$15.22
Current favorite webBikeWorld chain lube. Next Dimension Original Bike Spirits Chain ...
$8.95
Tied as current favorite webBikeWorld chain lube.

I've been unable to find a newer comparison (the linked one is from 2010) where they decided to start recommending these products instead.

The store doesn't even have a description for the Liquid Performance Racing Chain Lube

EDIT:

Nevermind, I think this is it.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/more-motorcycle-chain-lubes-reviewed/

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm going to have to try some of that Liquid Performance stuff. Everything I've tried so far stays tacky and by the time I get down my 1/2 mile of dirt road it seems I have rolling sandpaper.

I wonder how this stuff would work? Dries really fast and absolutely no tack to it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts