StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Haven't been able to yet and I've looked everywhere. Have to get mine in Bellingham, Wash. And because I'm tired of having to do that, I just bought a can of Maxima Chain Wax and am going to give that a try. Any opinions.

How about a Canadian Chain Lube Debate thread, eh?

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
...I just bought a can of Maxima Chain Wax and am going to give that a try. Any opinions.
BLEEEEEECCCCHHHH!!!!!!

I bought a can of Maxima while on a trip. Used it 'till I got home and then pitched it. Stuff is MESSY!

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
BLEEEEEECCCCHHHH!!!!!!

I bought a can of Maxima while on a trip. Used it 'till I got home and then pitched it. Stuff is MESSY!
Agree with you Heavy. Also learned something very interesting today. Maxima Chain wax is the exact same shit as the Amsoil Metal Protector / Chain Lube. Now I've got two cans of stuff I probably won't use.

I'll just keep hunting down the DuPont whenever I'm stateside. tmcgee, I don't think Canada Customs or USPS would take too kindly to air frieght of extremely flammable aerosols. But, desperate people do desparate things.

Live and learn.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Have you tried the BelRay Super Clean? I used that before I installed my Loobman and it was pretty good (and you can get it in Canada too ;) ).

http://www.belray.com/consumer/product.fsp?pid=13616
Thanks Heavy. I wish we would have discussed this sooner. I'll probably give the Bel Ray a try next. After I've used up my cans of Maxima and Amsoil. Should be sometime in 2012!

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Get the BelRay, you won't be disappointed.

Give the Maxima crap to some riding "buddy" that deserves it. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Belray, best of a bad lot...

30,000 kilometers on my DL1000K4 and I'm sick of Superclean's buildup problems, it runs for the hills in any rain and I always carry a backup of a heavy petroleum chain lube for a wet ride.

I contacted Dupont last year by phone to inquire about their plans for the Canadian market. They said they were looking into it, and haven't responded to an email I sent only last week requesting an update.

Isn't there a possibility this same product is marketed for bicycles under the "Finish Line" brand or some such branding, the price would be high but if the products the same...

The more Dupont receives emails/phone calls regarding the Teflon Multi-Use aerosol's availability in Canada, the better the chance of being able to source it from Walmart, Homedepot etc. in the future. If I was near the border, I'd be nipping across to sample this product. Otherwise it's probably going to be a "Pro-Oiler" out of Belguim, dist. from NY state that'll be mounted with this spring's new 530 chainset and 16/40 gearing. Let's get some more feedback from Canadian riders that have sourced this Dupont product via any means...

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have used the chain wax, cant says it causes any mess, however it does buildup.

I use Torco chain lube, no mess, no fling, stays put and dries quickly.

I got 34,000km on my first chain, and 31,000 on my second chain. I replaced the front sprocket twice, once with a 15T and then to a 16T.

I just installed a new chain and both sprockets last week. Trying an X-Ring chain this time and JT sprockets.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I have used the chain wax, cant says it causes any mess, however it does buildup.

I use Torco chain lube, no mess, no fling, stays put and dries quickly.

I got 34,000km on my first chain, and 31,000 on my second chain. I replaced the front sprocket twice, once with a 15T and then to a 16T.

I just installed a new chain and both sprockets last week. Trying an X-Ring chain this time and JT sprockets.

Cheers
Regarding the Maxima Chain Wax, I was reading a post on a Ducati forum in which they were treating this stuff like a wax. That is, spray it on, let it dry and then buff the excess off the chain. They said it was clean and shiny, protected and there was no buildup. Nothing like that on the can though. Directions are just spray it on and let it set. Anyone else buffing it off?

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Gave the Maxima Chain Wax a try today. It's actually not too bad. Goes on thick and uniformly and doesn't seem too messy when applying it. Will see how it holds up over the next few days compared to the Dupont. It dries stickier though, and perhaps this is what Heavy was referring to.

Marvin, $150.00 per can? Well, like they say, go big or go home!

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Ended up being "stickier" all over the underside of my Givi, the wheel and the rear of the bike.
Even after it set up on the chain? That'll suck. Gonna give it a test ride today. It's one bad ride away from being "donated" to someone who deserves it.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Even after it set up on the chain? That'll suck. Gonna give it a test ride today. It's one bad ride away from being "donated" to someone who deserves it.
I haven't used it on the chain because I like the Honda chain lube and have no reason to switch, but I did buy some of the Dupont stuff for other uses. It gets gelatinous and I can see it as being messy on the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Even after it set up on the chain?

Well, like I said, I got mine as an emergency purchase during a trip. We were away from home on a ride in Ohio. I needed some lube and the Maxima came in a really small can. I figured it would be a good "traveler" size. I don't remember whether I let it "set up" or not but I think, think, I only applied it at the end of the day so it would have had all night.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Probably arriving too late for my new chainset...

I spoke to Dupont on Mar.23/07 and was informed that they have product produced (labeling etc.) and ready for the Canadian market and are currently involved with the final details of govt. approval with tests and researching distributers for the products release. Hopefully we'll find it through the large box chain stores to keep the price down and easy availability across Canada. Here's Dupont's customer service ph.# 631-666-4186 which is staffed and knowledgeable about the progress of this product into the Canadian market. I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and order a Pro-Oiler out of J&S Imports in Chester, NY and forget about the whole aerosol lubing schmozzle...

996DL

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Anything builds up if you don't clean the chain before lubing/waxing. Spraying lube or wax on a dirty chain is the equivalent of wet-sanding the entire thing. All the crud mixes with the lube and works it way into the sideplates and rings. You are lubricating dirt and sand, not the chain at that point. IMO, you are better off not touching the chain with any product at all, than spraying stuff on a dirty chain.

A spray can of kerosene, a Grunge Brush, and a can of Maxima Gold is all I use on my chain. Clean it real well with the brush and kero, then a light coating of wax to seal out crud. I do go back and wipe off any excess afterwards and have virtually no fling and nothing 'sticks' to the chain. Too much of anything is gonna fling all over the place. If you are using a modern lube or wax, and getting fling on your swingarm and rear wheel or bags, then you are using too much of it. A light coating is all you need.

As always, YMMV. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
...Clean it real well with the brush and kero, then a light coating of wax to seal out crud. I do go back and wipe off any excess afterwards...
Like that's going to happen when you're on a road trip. I thought I was being Maintenance Minded when I gave the chain a squirt or two of lube!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts