StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Dunlop may have a winner here. Not quite a knobby. But the gap in the tread blocks are as good as some knobbies. Looks like street manners might be pretty good ( compared to something like TKC 70's ) and the front tire might not develop the scalloping and feathering a knobby would. Rated a 50/50 tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=17&v=NTATMkgMttY

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
I like!

As much as my knobby Shinko's make me happy... something a little less aggressive would be a better fit!

Now, the question is, would these tires make it to Tuk?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

·
Registered
14,230 Posts
Yah, a manly man looking tire but what will it look like after 5K miles? Didn't find a price for them on a search.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
From the article posted above, regarding tread life, looks promising due to the depth of the tread. Here's a quote:

The tread depth is also two-times deeper than anything the company had made previously which caused them to actually modify existing machinery used to make other bias-ply touring tires at the Buffalo, NY, facility.

And this quote, showing a 8k mile life, with some saying 10k is likely:

Dunlop told us its test riders got 8,000 miles out of a rear Trailmax Mission on a 2017 V-Strom 1000 across varying terrain and that the front tire was barely half used up. In side conversations, some of the test riders even alluded to the fact that, had it been their own tire, they would have easily pushed it another 2,000 miles.

I like the tread pattern, shows lateral stability promise with the staggered pattern.

This part was interesting for us DYI'ers, quote:

When asked if this meant the tire would be a real PITA to spoon onto a wheel we were met with a long stare, “well, you’ve got to give up something."

So the conclusion of the article is that it's an excellent tire, and a true 70/30 or 60/40 tire. That tells me that other tires that state 70/30 are probably closer to 80/20 or 90/10. It is also not a DIY'er tire, which is something to consider.

I think this tire is a home run also, when you consider you could probably use a single set for an Alaska or Tuk trip and have a comfortable pavement experience on those trips with enough off road grip to get the job done.

Currently we're stuck with "claimed" 70/30 and 80/20 tires, that are nowhere near as good as this tire, or big ass knobbies like the Shinko 804/805 (which I'm running).

Nice to have an option that bridges those gaps and introduces civility to a tire that can tear up a gravel or dirt road.

Now the question is, will it be in a price range that my cheapskate brain will allow me to purchase it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
They certainly cost more than my Shinkos 705 that I"m using. but these dunlaps cost almost 2x as much as the 705s.

They kinda remind of the Mitas E07s, so it seems it would be a great replacement.

I may give them a try for my next tire replacement.

In terms of DIY, these probably have super stiff sidewalls to deal with the loads. Like the Bridgestone Battlewings, they are almost impossible to remove/install. Even with a No-Mar classic tire changer. Ask me how I know! LOL

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One thing that struck me as better than average was the tread depth! While I agree it might not be a true 50/50 tire to some, I think it could bridge the gap between something like a Shinko 705 and the more knobby tires like the TKC 80 and Shinko 804/805. Those are a true 50/50 in my book, but if you ride interstates much they just don't like that too much ( or you don't if noise is a factor ).

I have TKC 70's on the Strom now. These look they would be a better all around tire both on and off road than those tires. I love the rear TKC 70, but the front not so much.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
they remind me of the Tourance tire but "beefier"

I may have to give them a go, i've been running 100% street tire and don't notice any difference handling offroad then any of the 70/30 adventure tires. These look like they might just hit the sweet spot :)

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
One thing that struck me as better than average was the tread depth! While I agree it might not be a true 50/50 tire to some, I think it could bridge the gap between something like a Shinko 705 and the more knobby tires like the TKC 80 and Shinko 804/805. Those are a true 50/50 in my book, but if you ride interstates much they just don't like that too much ( or you don't if noise is a factor ).

I have TKC 70's on the Strom now. These look they would be a better all around tire both on and off road than those tires. I love the rear TKC 70, but the front not so much.
Agreed on all points. Might be my next tire combo... if I can get through my spare 805 and my OEM Battlewings in short order :)

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Agreed on all points. Might be my next tire combo... if I can get through my spare 805 and my OEM Battlewings in short order :)
my 805 only lasted 3,000km so it shouldn't take to long haha. I got the bias ply version, i've heard radials will last longer.

I kind of want to get another set just because they look AWESOME

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
my 805 only lasted 3,000km so it shouldn't take to long haha. I got the bias ply version, i've heard radials will last longer.

I kind of want to get another set just because they look AWESOME
LOL, true. I've got 3,000km on my rear and it's looking like maybe another 2,000. So I'm trending the same it appears.

The 1000 definitely eats up rubber quicker.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Has anyone tried them yet? They are showing up now at online retails in Canada. Pete's superbike has them, $350 for a set.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts