StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

Registered
Any comparisons between the 80/20 Shinko 705s and 50/50 Dunlop Trailmasters? Running 705s now and pondering their eventual replacements. I'm probably a 70/30 rider now but see the shift toward more forest service gravel in the future.
The trailmax is better on the road then a shink0 705 and better offroad then an 805. They also last a lot longer. If you can swing the price, i'd highly recommend them.

11,700 miles and still picking up rocks. I love these tires. I鈥檓 planning to order my second set this weekend should be over 12,000 by then 馃槵馃弽 View attachment 275088
nice! they still look like they have lots left too for street use anyways. looks like a couple mm before the wear bars.

Registered
The trailmax is better on the road then a shink0 705 and better offroad then an 805. They also last a lot longer. If you can swing the price, i'd highly recommend them.

nice! they still look like they have lots left too for street use anyways. looks like a couple mm before the wear bars.
Yea I鈥檓 guessing I鈥檒l get close to another 1500 miles or so out of them depending on my next off road adventure. For sure will get over 12,000 miles in them I鈥檓 very happy

Registered
I just ordered my second set. Both front and rear tires seem to have the same amount of traffic after almost 12,000 miles and still going good. I鈥檓 gonna day I may get 12,500 to 13k out of these tires I鈥檓 really happy. I鈥檝e had them in some good off roads riding pics are in the thread my adventures photos

Registered
Set number 2 for my WEEE. I鈥檝e got just over 12,000 miles on the first set and there still going. Bought these just so I鈥檇 have them on hand and ready to swap.

Farkle Purchasing System
These are some damned tough tires.

Long story short, some jackass was hauling firewood in an open-backed trailer, on the interstate, dropping logs occasionally. I ran over a log without the slightest chance to avoid it, at around 75 mph.

I'm amazed I didn't crash. I'm even more amazed that there appears to be NO damage whatever to the tire, rim, or rest of bike. I pulled over to inspect as soon as safe, but could not see any problems & had no indication of trouble the rest of the 100+ miles to home.

Same for the rear, which is a well-worn Mitas E-07+ Dakar. I only felt when the front Trailmax Mission hit the log as a distinct event, but I presume the Mitas must have rolled over it as well.

From reviewing dashcam video, somehow the log was squarely across the middle of the lane. I suppose that's...lucky? Not sure what would have happened, had I hit the log end-on, but it probably wouldn't have been good.

I had the tire inflated somewhere near the recommended pressure, which I'm sure helped. Still amazed that nothing terrible happened.

Farkle Purchasing System
Correction: Rim is bent, going to have to either replace it or get it repaired.

Tire is probably fine but won't know for sure until it comes off the rim & can be inspected from the inside.

Registered
I put a set on about a month ago, and then rode 7000 miles with them. Went through some mud, some sand, plenty of gravel fire roads, lots of 65 mph roads, lots of mountain twisties, rain, a little freezing rain. All in all, these are the best tires I have ridden on. I always felt that the tires had good grip. There is some road noise, but I wear ear plugs and don鈥檛 notice it.

i also had the bike loaded with 135 lbs of gear during that whole time.

Registered
So I have put about 2k miles on them so far (assume about 20% dirt roads) and compare them to Tourance and Tourance Next that I have been riding on almost exclusively for several 10k miles. I am doing a tire life expectancy spreadsheet since a while. I started that in hopes of finding a 10k+ tire that will last for a round trip to the Pacific north west. Who knows now when that can be done but I still keep evaluating my tires. Two differences right away.

One is thread depth front and rear. Rear depth comparison:
Tourance: 8.8 mm; Tourance Next: 8 mm
Mission: 11 mm. I failed to measure when they were new. The reading was 10 mm after 1k miles so I assume new about 11 mm. This is significantly deeper thread and hopefully will translate in more miles, as reported by others (if I can keep my right hand under control).

The other one is cornering on blacktop. The Tourances were like driving on rails when leaned over. The Missions want to "fall into" corners. Can't describe it any better but they give me a little twitchy feedback. Not scary but just not as neutral as the Tourances were. I ride 38/42 PSI F/R

So The Good:
Deep thread, not only in center but all around!
Good traction on gravel, pebbles, dirt roads. Much better than Tourance.
Solid performance on dry blacktop.
Assume similar on wet blacktop but I have not pushed them hard so far in the rain, so not sure about it.

The Bad:
Front Tire hum at 40-60 mph, louder when decelerating. Much louder than Tourance
Scary on wet clay/ bentonite dirt roads, little sideways traction.
Not neutral cornering behavior

Front at 1k miles:

Rear at 1k miles:

Administrator
My buddy sure loves them on his 790

Registered
So I have put about 2k miles on them so far (assume about 20% dirt roads) and compare them to Tourance and Tourance Next that I have been riding on almost exclusively for several 10k miles. I am doing a tire life expectancy spreadsheet since a while. I started that in hopes of finding a 10k+ tire that will last for a round trip to the Pacific north west. Who knows now when that can be done but I still keep evaluating my tires. Two differences right away.

One is thread depth front and rear. Rear depth comparison:
Tourance: 8.8 mm; Tourance Next: 8 mm
Mission: 11 mm. I failed to measure when they were new. The reading was 10 mm after 1k miles so I assume new about 11 mm. This is significantly deeper thread and hopefully will translate in more miles, as reported by others (if I can keep my right hand under control).

The other one is cornering on blacktop. The Tourances were like driving on rails when leaned over. The Missions want to "fall into" corners. Can't describe it any better but they give me a little twitchy feedback. Not scary but just not as neutral as the Tourances were. I ride 38/42 PSI F/R

So The Good:
Deep thread, not only in center but all around!
Good traction on gravel, pebbles, dirt roads. Much better than Tourance.
Solid performance on dry blacktop.
Assume similar on wet blacktop but I have not pushed them hard so far in the rain, so not sure about it.

The Bad:
Front Tire hum at 40-60 mph, louder when decelerating. Much louder than Tourance
Scary on wet clay/ bentonite dirt roads, little sideways traction.
Not neutral cornering behavior

Front at 1k miles:
View attachment 278865

Rear at 1k miles:
View attachment 278866
I got 12k out of my first set. I probably could have pushed them a little farther but I was taking a trip and was going to be some off road so I swapped them out for a new set at 12k

Premium Member
Amazing... this will most likely be my next set of tires... but I have this new 805 and a set of OEM BW's still go burn through first.

I love the mileage, the on/off road balance, and the spooning/noise from the front won't be an issue, since my 804 is spooned bad and howling like a banshee.

If I can get close to 20K KM on a set that would be enough for any big trip.

Premium Member
Will y'all hurry up get this sorted out...lol.........I still am on the fence for a new 50/50 to go with my E07 rear. I'm down to the Mission or a Motoz.

Registered
2007 DL-1000
I am installing a set of these TMM's next week. Been researching and watching YouTube videos about them, and I think they will fit the bill for me. I had considered the K-60's, but I really don't do that much off-roading, and they reportedly suck on wet roads.

Premium Member
I am installing a set of these TMM's next week. Been researching and watching YouTube videos about them, and I think they will fit the bill for me. I had considered the K-60's, but I really don't do that much off-roading, and they reportedly suck on wet roads.
Welcome to the forum, Geo. Be sure and let us know how the Trailmax Missions do.

Registered
Discussion Starter #57
IMHO, they are everything that Kyle Bradshaw from Chaparral Motorsports reviewed. I've been very satisfied with mine, the TMMs are a great tire for the Strom. They are excellent handling on the road wet or dry, very stable and predictable on gravel. I have ~6300mi/10100km of mostly pavement riding, and they are a little over half worn: ~4/32 front and rear (the rear is deeper when new) and I expect I should get 9-10k on them before I replace them with another set. My off pavement is gravel township roads, USFS & State-County forest roads, a little bit of deep woods two track, and one 6 mile stretch of rim-deep sand/riverrock/hardpack mud that I won't ever ride again; more adventure than I am capable of.
Nit pics- They are a bear to mount. The sidewalls and beads are very stiff. Thank goodness they last a long time! If you don't already have tire mounting tools save your money and go with the, "I'll just wait here in the lounge and you call me when you're finished" route. They also are staring to hum at 35-50mph/55-90kmh. not intrusive or annoying, but there.
Good value, available everywhere, and I will be getting another set.

Reactions: S391

Registered
I've been very happy with TrailMax Missions on my bike for the past nine months. The photos show the wear after 21,345 kms (about 4,000 of that on dirt roads).

I could probably squeeze another 2-3,000 kms more out of the them but I'll be replacing them in the next few weeks with another set.

Premium Member
I've been very happy with TrailMax Missions on my bike for the past nine months. The photos show the wear after 21,345 kms (about 4,000 of that on dirt roads).
21k km (13k mi) with only 4k km (2.5k mi) on dirt roads with tires of that profile...remarkable! If only I rode more off-pavement...

Registered
2007 DL-1000
I got the TMM's installed a few days ago, and I have to say so far I like them. They actually look great (IMHO) on the Vee. To me they look like they belong on the Strom...not too knobby or outrageous for the bike's capability, so you don't look like you're a poser. But also bad-assed enough to say you do have an adventurous spirit and don't fear taking the bike off road when the opportunity knocks.

As far as the ride goes, there isn't much, if any thrumming or buzz I have detected, but I do wear earplug so I may not hear more faint sounds. I did notice at speeds above 50 mph, the extra mass of the lug-heavy tires becomes apparent, as tipping-in to the turn requires more force on the handlebars than lighter tires do. I guess that could be a good thing for tracking true while underway, on pavement or off. At city speeds, and in traffic, I don't feel the extra weight at all.

While I only have 100 miles on them so far, I think I am going to love these tires. I already have more confidence off road. I have only done about 10 miles on gravel and dirt so far, but early impressions are extremely positive and confidence-inspiring.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts