StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed these? I had my heart (and wallet) set on getting F/R Mitas E-07+'s before spring, but availability in either the Plus or Dakar for both wheels is a little erratic. So I clicked on the Dunlop banner that appears periodically on this site to find out more.
Tubeless, buncha sizes incl. 110/80-19 & 150/70-17 and Revzilla has them in stock; ship 1-3 days.
ADV Moto & Ultimatemotorcycling.com seems to like them, both on and off road. They say that Dunlop commissioned a couple DL 1000 hired guns to test them and claim they got 8000mi/12,800km on the rear. At about $330USD for the pair, they're rather spendy; tippy-top of my budget. But if they go farther, could be a good value proposition.
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/10/14/dunlop-trailmax-mission-review-50-50-adv-motorcycle-tire/
https://adventuremotorcycle.com/gear/dunlop-trailmax-mission-tire-review

·
Registered
925 Posts
No firsthand experience, but the write up looked good. (Saw it in an online moto mag, forget which one but should be easy to find.) The prices looked reasonable too, but then I noticed that while the front is a radial, the rear was only available in bias ply. I wouldn't mix them, as I like to get a bit aggressive in the corners. OTOH, the reviewers liked them, and I'm assuming the moto journalists are more skilled than I am.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No firsthand experience, but the write up looked good. (Saw it in an online moto mag, forget which one but should be easy to find.) The prices looked reasonable too, but then I noticed that while the front is a radial, the rear was only available in bias ply. I wouldn't mix them, as I like to get a bit aggressive in the corners. OTOH, the reviewers liked them, and I'm assuming the moto journalists are more skilled than I am.
I wouldn't mix them either, Loco! But the Ultimate Moto test I linked above says, "Although a bias-ply 50/50 tire, the street manners of the tubeless Dunlop Mission tires were exceptional." So I emailed Dunlop consumer affairs and got this response:

Hi Chris,
We appreciate your contact and interest in Dunlop. The "new" Trailmax Mission has a bias / bias belted construction.
Hope this helps - ride safe!

Dave Johnson
Consumer Affairs
Dunlop Motorcycle Tires
P.O. Box 1109, Buffalo, NY 14240
Phone O: 800.845.8378
Phone O: 330.833.2826
[email protected]

If the front was a radial, It would have an "R" in the size e.g. 110/80R-19. no letter denotes bias ply construction, and for the rear 150/70B-17 denotes a bias belted construction, all are tubeless.
J&P Cycles has a great page for deciphering "Tireglyphics":
https://www.jpcycles.com/how-to-read-motorcycle-tires
I'm still on the fence. I'm on Revzilla's watch list for a Mitas front which is supposed to be in stock in late February, so I'll make up my mind then. My rear OEM Battlax is at the wear bars and the front still looks OK, but I prefer to change out both tires when switching brands. I'll report back if I go with the Missions- lotta posts concerning Mitas' already.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,188 Posts
Mixing radial and bias on a bike isn't a problem. I don't remember the bike(s) at the moment, but they have come from the factory with radial/bias fitted. Not the same effect as a car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I may get some for my BMW R1200GSA later this year when my Metzeler Karoo Streets need replaced. The tires are still pretty new for any long term reports.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I had a look at them at the local bike show a couple weeks back. They may be my next set. First I have to wear out the Trailsmarts I installed a few months ago. I have nothing but good things to say about those Dunlops. They handle nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts