StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed these? I had my heart (and wallet) set on getting F/R Mitas E-07+'s before spring, but availability in either the Plus or Dakar for both wheels is a little erratic. So I clicked on the Dunlop banner that appears periodically on this site to find out more.
Tubeless, buncha sizes incl. 110/80-19 & 150/70-17 and Revzilla has them in stock; ship 1-3 days.
ADV Moto & Ultimatemotorcycling.com seems to like them, both on and off road. They say that Dunlop commissioned a couple DL 1000 hired guns to test them and claim they got 8000mi/12,800km on the rear. At about $330USD for the pair, they're rather spendy; tippy-top of my budget. But if they go farther, could be a good value proposition.
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/10/14/dunlop-trailmax-mission-review-50-50-adv-motorcycle-tire/
https://adventuremotorcycle.com/gear/dunlop-trailmax-mission-tire-review

·
Registered
937 Posts
No firsthand experience, but the write up looked good. (Saw it in an online moto mag, forget which one but should be easy to find.) The prices looked reasonable too, but then I noticed that while the front is a radial, the rear was only available in bias ply. I wouldn't mix them, as I like to get a bit aggressive in the corners. OTOH, the reviewers liked them, and I'm assuming the moto journalists are more skilled than I am.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No firsthand experience, but the write up looked good. (Saw it in an online moto mag, forget which one but should be easy to find.) The prices looked reasonable too, but then I noticed that while the front is a radial, the rear was only available in bias ply. I wouldn't mix them, as I like to get a bit aggressive in the corners. OTOH, the reviewers liked them, and I'm assuming the moto journalists are more skilled than I am.
I wouldn't mix them either, Loco! But the Ultimate Moto test I linked above says, "Although a bias-ply 50/50 tire, the street manners of the tubeless Dunlop Mission tires were exceptional." So I emailed Dunlop consumer affairs and got this response:

Hi Chris,
We appreciate your contact and interest in Dunlop. The "new" Trailmax Mission has a bias / bias belted construction.
Hope this helps - ride safe!

Dave Johnson
Consumer Affairs
Dunlop Motorcycle Tires
P.O. Box 1109, Buffalo, NY 14240
Phone O: 800.845.8378
Phone O: 330.833.2826
[email protected]

If the front was a radial, It would have an "R" in the size e.g. 110/80R-19. no letter denotes bias ply construction, and for the rear 150/70B-17 denotes a bias belted construction, all are tubeless.
J&P Cycles has a great page for deciphering "Tireglyphics":
https://www.jpcycles.com/how-to-read-motorcycle-tires
I'm still on the fence. I'm on Revzilla's watch list for a Mitas front which is supposed to be in stock in late February, so I'll make up my mind then. My rear OEM Battlax is at the wear bars and the front still looks OK, but I prefer to change out both tires when switching brands. I'll report back if I go with the Missions- lotta posts concerning Mitas' already.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,216 Posts
Mixing radial and bias on a bike isn't a problem. I don't remember the bike(s) at the moment, but they have come from the factory with radial/bias fitted. Not the same effect as a car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I may get some for my BMW R1200GSA later this year when my Metzeler Karoo Streets need replaced. The tires are still pretty new for any long term reports.

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
I had a look at them at the local bike show a couple weeks back. They may be my next set. First I have to wear out the Trailsmarts I installed a few months ago. I have nothing but good things to say about those Dunlops. They handle nice.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone installed these? I had my heart (and wallet) set on getting F/R Mitas E-07+'s before spring, but availability in either the Plus or Dakar for both wheels is a little erratic. So I clicked on the Dunlop banner that appears periodically on this site to find out more.
Tubeless, buncha sizes incl. 110/80-19 & 150/70-17 and Revzilla has them in stock; ship 1-3 days.
ADV Moto & Ultimatemotorcycling.com seems to like them, both on and off road. They say that Dunlop commissioned a couple DL 1000 hired guns to test them and claim they got 8000mi/12,800km on the rear. At about $330USD for the pair, they're rather spendy; tippy-top of my budget. But if they go farther, could be a good value proposition.
Dunlop Trailmax Mission Review: 50/50 ADV Motorcycle Tire
Dunlop Trailmax Mission Review - Redefining the 50/50 Tire
Well, I pulled the trigger on a set of Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires today, to replace the OEM Bridgestone BattleAx's. The rear was down to just a trace of wear bar on them at 10,608mi/17,072km, and that's far enough for me. My riding is pretty much 50/50- 50% asphalt 50% concrete ;), with some occasional gravel forestry and township roads, and a rare single track roots n'rocks trail. The TMM's seemed to be the tire that checked all my boxes for on road, and my novice off pavement riding. Chaparral Motorsports' Kyle Bradshaw's impression was the convincing argument, so I bought them there. They should arrive in 3-10 days, plenty of time to get them mounted before the frost is out of the shaded roads!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Well, I pulled the trigger on a set of Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires today, to replace the OEM Bridgestone BattleAx's. The rear was down to just a trace of wear bar on them at 10,608mi/17,072km, and that's far enough for me. My riding is pretty much 50/50- 50% asphalt 50% concrete ;), with some occasional gravel forestry and township roads, and a rare single track roots n'rocks trail. The TMM's seemed to be the tire that checked all my boxes for on road, and my novice off pavement riding. Chaparral Motorsports' Kyle Bradshaw's impression was the convincing argument, so I bought them there. They should arrive in 3-10 days, plenty of time to get them mounted before the frost is out of the shaded roads!
Have you got them yet? Initial thoughts?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you got them yet? Initial thoughts?
Got both tires spooned on. Very reluctant beads in a 52º F/11ºC garage, even warming with a hair drier. They balanced pretty well- 35g. F, 42g. R. Installed new 90º elbow valve stems. For now, filled to the stock spec 33psi F/41psi R. They are slightly wider at the tread/sidewall interface: my front wheel chock fits more snugly now.
Out on the road, they have a nice rounded profile. the bike falls readily and predictably into corners. There is a slight hum to them above 40mph/65kmh, that is noticeable if you listen for it but normally is in the background; a little louder under hard braking on pavement but not bothersome at all. I've ridden about 200mi/300km on cold, dry pavement, and now feel they are scuffed in enough to ride in the rain and gravel. We're supposed to have light rain showers tomorrow and I may go out and wet test both them and my other garb.
Overall I think I'm going to be satisfied with them.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
awesome thanks! they are on back order in Canada and i'm debating if they are worth waiting for. The reviews all seem really positive. I kind of want to try the Motoz Tractionator Adventure tires, they are more like 70% offroad but I really don't do much offroad and when I do it's nothing to crazy. I miss the look of the bike with knobbies though haha.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The MotoZ Tractionator Adventure's were on my short list along with the Mitas E-07+'s. The E-07+'s seem to have spotty availability (front), though a good tire. The MT-A's are an unfamiliar brand to me, but with good reviews also; maybe next set. The best info I could find on either the MotoZ's or the Mission's was on the Chaparral Motorsports YouTube channel.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
The MotoZ Tractionator Adventure's were on my short list along with the Mitas E-07+'s. The E-07+'s seem to have spotty availability (front), though a good tire. The MT-A's are an unfamiliar brand to me, but with good reviews also; maybe next set. The best info I could find on either the MotoZ's or the Mission's was on the Chaparral Motorsports YouTube channel.
Kyle does a great job on reviewing the tires. He really liked the Trailmax mission, not so much the E07. He's got a high horsepower KTM so I think the E07 would fair better on a tame in comparison V-Strom.

I ordered a set of the Dunlops today, for anyone considering these tires make sure you buy from a "Dunlop Pro" dealer to quality for the rebate. $20 a tire if you buy just the tire and $30 a tire if you buy the tire with installation. The larger online retailers are not typically Pro dealers and as such do not qualify. For anyone in Canada I got mine from Ace Moto-Tech and Adrian was excellent to deal with. His price was on par with Fortnine, slightly higher then Pete's super bike however much cheaper when you factor in you have to pay shipping from Pete's and you don't get the rebate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought the Trailmax Missions for my 2012 V-Strom 650, and just put them on a few weeks ago and I really like them so far! I actually bought them based on Kyle Bradshaw's reviews at Chaparral Motorsports.

I have put at least 80 miles on them of mixed dry street, rough street, and loose gravel with hills, and they handle nicely. They do have a slight hum on the street, but you really have to be actively listening for it to hear it over the wind noise and engine noise. Much less noise than the Avon Trailriders I had on my old Honda CB500X. Grooves are definitely deeper and a hair wider than the Shinko 705s, which my brother-in-law has on his Versys 650.

No issues in the gravel and they grip great on the dry pavement. Never showed any signs of losing grip, and actual managed to accidentally drag my peg once in a tight turn. Low speed maneuvers are easy and the tire profile is as the reviews say, neutral and round. Can't yet speak to mileage (obviously).

I have not noticed a difference between the radial ply tires that came on the bike from the factory and these, which yes, just as the Dunlop Representative stated, are bias ply/bias belted. The front tire is bias ply, the rear is bias belted.

All in all, I highly recommend these tires as they are some of the best dual purpose tires I have used.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also, Chaparral Motorsports just uploaded this video this morning for those of you who have been following their dual sport tire series.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts