StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here goes. V2 2014 61k

I have now put over 10k on the a new front and rear Trailmax Mission set. That in itself is pretty impressive given that much of the most recent 4.6k trip was on hard ridden twisties going to and from the eastern rally. I have run many Tourance tires but they never got close to that mileage. However they have ~8mm tread depth, the rear mission has ~10mm depth.

The front is now pretty cupped but still has significant tread left. However it has gotten annoyingly noisier.

The rear is still not at the wear indicators and probably good for another 1-2k if accepting less grip. However it obviously is now pretty squared off with most of it 10mm tread depth gone in the center and basically non at the outer edge. On this trip I never felt completely confident at larger lean angles accelerating out of corners (dry and especially wet). The rear seemed to step out just a little once you were on the outer edge and pushing a bit.

The ABS/ TC issues: With increasing wear of the rear tire my ABS now shuts down after a few miles riding. I think this is because the computer records revolution differences that are outside the tolerated range. It started doing so occasionally and shutting of the ignition would re-set it. But now, with more wear the light comes on always after just a short time into the ride, so its impractical to re-set all the time.
I had the same experience when I was running a darkside rear tire that was just a little smaller diameter than stock. That tire caused the same issues once it was worn. However I would not expect such an effect on a stock size set of tires. The TC also acts up and interferes unexpectedly when accelerating even modestly, so I had to turn it of for the last ~1k.
So my question: Is this just my bike behaving strange or is there anybody else with similar experience?

Wear Pattern of Trailmax Mission.
NOTE: I did not take pictures and measurements when I mounted them but only about 1k after. Based on wearing the rear to 2mm would result in +12k longevity. That is much better than the Tourance's I ran before that were totally bold before 8k (same bike, similar type of rides with luggage most of the time). The fronts can go longer but the cupping is a problem.
Automotive tire Product Azure Sleeve Tread

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
608 Posts
I never ride my tires to the very end of their tread life. If I get to the wear bars, they're done. This is because I'm very picky about the way my bike handles and I just can't tolerate riding an ill handling bike due to tires.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Here goes. V2 2014 61k

I have now put over 10k on the a new front and rear Trailmax Mission set. That in itself is pretty impressive given that much of the most recent 4.6k trip was on hard ridden twisties going to and from the eastern rally. I have run many Tourance tires but they never got close to that mileage. However they have ~8mm tread depth, the rear mission has ~10mm depth.

The front is now pretty cupped but still has significant tread left. However it has gotten annoyingly noisier.

The rear is still not at the wear indicators and probably good for another 1-2k if accepting less grip. However it obviously is now pretty squared off with most of it 10mm tread depth gone in the center and basically non at the outer edge. On this trip I never felt completely confident at larger lean angles accelerating out of corners (dry and especially wet). The rear seemed to step out just a little once you were on the outer edge and pushing a bit.

The ABS/ TC issues: With increasing wear of the rear tire my ABS now shuts down after a few miles riding. I think this is because the computer records revolution differences that are outside the tolerated range. It started doing so occasionally and shutting of the ignition would re-set it. But now, with more wear the light comes on always after just a short time into the ride, so its impractical to re-set all the time.
I had the same experience when I was running a darkside rear tire that was just a little smaller diameter than stock. That tire caused the same issues once it was worn. However I would not expect such an effect on a stock size set of tires. The TC also acts up and interferes unexpectedly when accelerating even modestly, so I had to turn it of for the last ~1k.
So my question: Is this just my bike behaving strange or is there anybody else with similar experience?
I have a hard time understanding how ABS discerns a problem with a worn tire? Is it the difference in front vs rear wheel speed? A bit of thread drift here, but wondering about the handling when new? I just replaced my stock Bridgstones that came on my 2017 650 with Dunlops. . I felt very confident in corners with the stock tires. I'm just getting to know the new Trailmax and am sheepish about their limits. I find they really track well over steel bridges and bad pavement. Seem very solid falling into a turn, but can you drive these tires hard on pavement without washing out? When they lose traction, is it progressive and predictable?
Will follow the ABS related replies you get.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nicad: I drove them pretty hard with almost no chicken strips left in the rear. But I think they shine on being able to do serious gravel roads AND blacktop reasonably well. Plus they last! They never washed out. The rear just seemed to slide a little when getting on the throttle at lean. Note: The tire is fairly squared not round the the new profile.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
I doubt it's the tires. As long as they're reasonable close to the OEM diameter there shouldn't be an issue.

Check the sensor for gunk and examine the wire.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cleaned the sensors, no difference. I did not trace the wires into the inners of the bike.
NOTE: I had the same effect when running the darkside tire. Once I replaced that tire all was well again!

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
I would go with my gut here and mount some new tires first. If it’s fixed, we all learn something. If not, you need tires soon anyway and have eliminated an obvious possibility.

ABS and TC definitely use the speed differential between the front and rear tires to sense slippage.

I have seen cars throw similar codes if for some reason one tire wears more. I have become pretty diligent with rotating my cage tires now.

·
Registered
2006 DL1000
68 Posts
Are both tires the correct size for the bike? I can't imagine the ABS failing due to worn tires if they are correct size. I typically run mine until the center of the treads are nearly smooth, sometimes more unless a trip is planned. I did have an ABS issue on my FJR which was due to the rear sensor retaining screw backing off and the sensor moved out of position.
Curious to see how this one works out. Good luck

·
Registered
94 Posts
My only Vstrom ABS experience is with my 2012 650. So my comments are based on that platform and may not be applicable to your bike. i Would guess it should be similar in that once the bike has a power on reset with the ignition and then having the wheels turn to pass the self test the ABS light should go out. If abs fault is generated after that then an error code will be generated. Jumpering the proper pins on the abs service plug will allow fault code to be accessed. That code will eliminate a lot of guesswork about what is causing the fault.

FWIW I would find the service information for your model and get to the ABS fault code(s) if you want to investigate more before replacing tires.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are both tires the correct size for the bike? I can't imagine the ABS failing due to worn tires if they are correct size. .....
Yes they are stock size. It never happened to various Tourance tire sets, some of those were run until very bold (long trip out west). I checked both sensors while on the trip, they are fine.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
... If abs fault is generated after that then an error code will be generated. Jumpering the proper pins on the abs service plug will allow fault code to be accessed. That code will eliminate a lot of guesswork about what is causing the fault. ...
Is that fault code retained when turning off the ignition? Is this ABS service plug the same as the dealer mode jumper or is this a different connector? I have not checked the service book, since I am out of town.

·
Registered
94 Posts
In the case of the 2012 650 the ABS controller has a separate connector secondary to the connector used to go into dealer mode. Also the fault code is retained. Fault is indicated through number and duration of Flashes on the ABS dash led. Once connector is jumpered and the key is turned on without starting the bike the code would flash and repeat.

Reviewing the service manual for the 2012 there are 10 listed fault codes. Under possible causes listed for each fault only fault code 25 lists incorrect tire size as a possible cause. Solution is to check for the proper specified tire size and inflation before moving to the next possible causes. It does not list tire wear as part of the troubleshooting.

Hopefully the code is equally easy to access on your model. If nothing else it will provide a good learning lab for your ABS system.

Good luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Are you on the standard sprockets ?

Some reported their TC becoming more sensitive when the sprocket sizes were changed (I never found this) the TC and ABS get their information from the same place.

As a experiment you could quite drastically change your air pressures front and rear to see if anything changes.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
When you combine the tire wear and the sprocket you may have the answer.

Try the 17 again ?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NO, that isn't it. Why do I have problems with Trailmax (and a darkside) and not with Tourance tires? The ABS (and TC) read from the wheel sensors so sprocket size don't matter.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
As I said earlier some others have reported the problem after changing to a 16T

You asked for help but you already have all the answers !!!

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
9,763 Posts
I have no experience with the V2 but I regeared my Kawasaki Versys and the gearing killed the ABS and threw up the ABS and engine fault lights, and fault codes:
24 Rear wheel rotation sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
25 Gear position sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.

Half a dozen regearers collaborated on the issue on the Versys forum and found the cause to definitely be the ECU responding to an out of parameter deviance between front and rear wheel speeds.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well for the fun of it I will install my old 17T sprocket before I trash the chain and see if that makes a difference. It would still not explain why I never had that issue with Tourance tires but with the Trailmax.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: I did install the 17T sprocket and went for a ride. For a while I thought I had to eat my words but ... NO DARN DIFFERENCE. After about 6 miles the ABS light came on, just as I had experienced during the final part of my trip. It had started with the light coming on well into each ride and quickened with increasing wear of the rear tire, just as my dark-side test tire had done. Its the worn tire diameter that is causing it. The Dunlop has a deeper tread than order 80/20 style tires at 10-11 mm compared to 8-9mm for Tourance or Anakee. So when worn there is a larger change in diameter or rotations per mile (or Km).

If it were caused by the sprocket size, so many riders are running the 16T up front on the V2, you would think others would have had ABS issues as well. No such thing has been reported here to my memory. Whereas the Trailmax Mission is a relatively new tire, so apparently nobody has had a similar experience or they have not talked about it here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts