StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used them? I have searched the entire forum and found nothing. They seem to be new. I saw them at the International Motorcycle show and Dunlop had them mounted to V-Strom rims. I talked with their rep a bit and they seemed like the tire for me. Just haven't been able to get much feedback from other riders.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you mean the Dunlop TrailMAX TR91, I can give you the gist of a long long thread in the German V-Strom forum. I haven't ridden it myself yet, but this is gonna be my next tire for the coming season,
Thread German V-Strom forum

Basically everybody who has this tire loves it. According to the members who rode it it's a very stable tire in every situation, performs very well even when wet.

The only downside according to them is that if you drive very sporty, the tire doesn't last as long as some competitors, though some have gotten 12000km on it.

It was in the 2011 ADV-tire test of the best known German motorcycle magazine "Motorrad" and won the test against the Avon Distanzia, Bridgestone Battle Wing, Continental Trail Attack "Z", Metzeler Tourance EXP, Michelin Anakee 2 and the Pirelli Scorpion Trail.

Test ADV-tires "Motorrad" in German

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Trailmax. That's what I meant. They look like a great tire. I think I may be trying them out this spring.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah, 12k km isn't that bad, what I wanted to say is that this is the maximum running distance on one set of them that I've heard of. So if you ride sporty you're probably gonna get less.

In the test they say that after 5500 km on the fron tire you could tell it was used, but there was still quite some rubber left. On the back tire they still had more then 50% left to the minumum (which is 1,6mm in Germany, if I'm correct it's less in the US).

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
These will need to be compared to the new Michelin Anakee 3.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not terribly concerned with longevity. Sometimes with longevity you sacrifice some of the handling characteristics. If the tire handles well I would be happy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
In the German Forum we have a guy who has relations to Michelin and he was given the Anakee 3 by Michelin to test ride the pre-production version of the tire and based on his and other's opinion they were gonna adapt it further. He also could compare it to the Dunlop since that was the tire he had in before.
Although it's not really an entirely fair comparison since the Dunlop is already some 3 years old ;)

His summary with the Anakee 3 was that it's a very nice tire, that provides you with enough grip in almost any situation. Compared to the Dunlop his opinion was that it was a little easier to put in the corner, but in the corner handled exactly as the dunlop does.
He also mentioned if you do a little bit more off road the Anakee would probably better.
All in all his opinion was the two tires aren't that different from one another.

Don't forget, this was the preliminary version of the Anakee, so there might have been some changes.

Guess we'll just have to try ;)

·
Registered
15,493 Posts
1,6mm in Germany, if I'm correct it's less in the US).
I go by the wear bars. When I'm down to them I change the tire. Whether it's the center or the sides. Usually it's the sides.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dunlop TR91

As I read the feedback and questions, and compare the Dunlop TR91 which I've had now for about 1 year vs. Bridgestone Trailwings (OEM), I will be getting another TR91 in a couple of weeks. At least better than the Bridgestone. BTW - I am partial to Bridgestones for other bikes and riding styles. Yet for a dual sport, I'm very happy with the TR91's.
Currently - Rear tire is at about ~85% wear (just about to start touching the TWI) right now and that it at 8.7k miles. The front was replaced a little later, it is at ~60% use and only has about 6.9k - about miles on it. I can see getting easily 10k on it.
I ride ~90% pavement. Riding style for me is semi-aggressive to aggressive on pavement and hard packed, normal on non-paved soft back roads.

Some articles rate the Dunlop over the Metzler - give and take reasons for each.
Related articles and feedback:
Recent Dunlop TR91 and other GS tyres magazine review [Archive] - ::. UKGSer.com .::
Metzeler Tourance EXP or Dunlop Trailmax TR1??? - ADVrider
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/82498-dunlop-trailmaster-tr91-tires.html

:thumbup: I like (and recommend) the TR91 for overall predictability and wear on dry and wet road. I run them at 35/38 PSI F-R respectively.

sunnyorlando:thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had TR91 on my '1000 for the last week, added them (rear and front) on my trip around Oz. Now a week on I change the rear tyre to an Anakee 3. Reason: after just 4000km the rear is less than 50% profile and probably not lasting me from Perth to Darwin.
Ride: high speed (110km) across the southern desert, nullarbour , very limited cornering and strong winds - probably all factors in the high wear rate.
The front TR91 looks just fine, round shape and ample profile - haven't touched frt brake for days thus that might be a reason.

Observations: the TR91 loves corners, turning in is very low force and all very controllable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts