StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Dunlap is a great MC area. I just rode Hwy 56 near there this weekend. From there we went up to Fall Creek Falls State Park and rode Hwy 30. You are also in close striking distance to N. Georgia and W. NC that drip with twisty goodness.
Hollar at me if you are going to be in the area...:yesnod:

·
Registered
541 Posts
I lived right outside of Nashville for 4 years during the 80's and loved it. Great fresh water fishing and plenty of lakes. For 15 years my wife and I always talked about moving back when I retired. My in-laws moved there because they loved it when they use to come visit us. We went to visit one time and I forgot how hot and humid it could be during the summer. Long story short, retired in Gods country, Central Oregon.

Motorcycle riding should be superb except when it so hot the roads are covered with tar boils.

South Central TN is a beautiful location. Dueling banjos might make a city boy from Mass a little nervous.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dueling banjos might make a city boy from Mass a little nervous.
LOL, you're right! That's exactly the response I've gotten from local friends here. Although I'm not "a city boy", I AM from blue-Massachusetts. Gotta feeling it's a bit more "conservative" down in Tennessee. :yikes:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hollar at me if you are going to be in the area...:yesnod:
I'm seriously considering trailering my bike down...my wife doesn't ride...to visit my pal who lives on Center Hill Lake. He keeps asking us to come visit. He's a few-miles-Cruiser-rider which isn't my style. So we figure he and his GF can take my wife out on his boat while I busy myself riding, riding, riding.

I will certainly give you a holler when we make plans to head down thataway. Thanks!

·
Registered
541 Posts
LOL, you're right! That's exactly the response I've gotten from local friends here. Although I'm not "a city boy", I AM from blue-Massachusetts. Gotta feeling it's a bit more "conservative" down in Tennessee. :yikes:
You will be a city boy down there :yesnod: I use to travel all over the state and sometimes I wish I had a camera handy for some of the locals I saw. :yikes:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will be a city boy down there :yesnod: I use to travel all over the state and sometimes I wish I had a camera handy for some of the locals I saw. :yikes:
I don't suppose they'd take too kindly to my very-politically liberal wife tellin' them they shouldn't have guns. :furious:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
137 miles to the Tail of the Dragon.

Banjo music is not just for seduction any more.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I don't suppose they'd take too kindly to my very-politically liberal wife tellin' them they shouldn't have guns. :furious:
She'll probably just take up shootin' while you're off on the bike.

Guns in the country are a lot safer than the ones they have in the city.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guns in the country are a lot safer than the ones they have in the city.
I grew up and hunted in (then) rural Ohio where rifles and shotguns were as essential a tool as shovels and rakes. While I don't own a gun, nowadays, I support your right to have one.

My wife has a different opinion and there ain't no sense arguin' with her. :headbang:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Although I'm not "a city boy", I AM from blue-Massachusetts. Gotta feeling it's a bit more "conservative" down in Tennessee. :yikes:
From rural western MA originally. We considered TN a while back as they don't tax military retirements and the roads were decent for riding most days.

BUT reconning it I found locals still described the pace as easy going, which is really just southern code for lazy or lethargic.

Free entertainment tip: Look for the one-of-a-kind, extra large handmade signs on gas pumps reading "Please don't smoke while fueling. It's dangerous. Thanks."

Because people need to be told that.

More power to you if you can make it work.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I guess leaving the liberal wife up North is out of the question :green_lol:
Just hop over the hill to Asheville, she'll be welcome there and you'll be even closer to better riding and in beer mecca, too.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just hop over the hill to Asheville, she'll be welcome there and you'll be even closer to better riding and in beer mecca, too.
I've had friends over the years who moved in/out of Asheville but I've never gotten down there....and I'd like to...to check out the energy vortexes and all. Isn't Asheville sort of the Sedona East? Plus you say beer mecca and (even) better riding? Looks like this might be a longer trip...

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I've had friends over the years who moved in/out of Asheville but I've never gotten down there....and I'd like to...to check out the energy vortexes and all. Isn't Asheville sort of the Sedona East? Plus you say beer mecca and (even) better riding? Looks like this might be a longer trip...

Asheville is home to no fewer than 10 craft breweries, per-capita, it's one of the most beered cities in the US.

The Blue Ridge Parkway runs right through town, with some of the most scenic sections on either side of town.

Add great hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, climbing and fine dining and you get the picture.

If you get near Asheville drop me a line, I'd be happy to show you around.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Asheville is home to no fewer than 10 craft breweries, per-capita, it's one of the most beered cities in the US.

If you get near Asheville drop me a line, I'd be happy to show you around.
Sounding better with every post! You can be sure I'll be followingup and getting in touch. THANKS!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Sounding better with every post! You can be sure I'll be followingup and getting in touch. THANKS!
There's a free trolley that tours the various breweries with bosomy mädchens in low-cut drndls serving beer. When they run out of seats, they are required by NC DOT guidlines to sit on the seated passengers' laps, so they tend to run full. The trolley drivers often seek speed humps and rumble strips

These young ladies are also well-versed in all manner of motorcycle maintenance (not just BMW) and for a small fee will service your machine while you sleep off the high-gravity brews that you recieved gratis by virtue of your manly countenance and lousy table manners.

It's not for everybody, but I call it home.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There's a free trolley that tours the various breweries with bosomy mädchens in low-cut drndls serving beer. When they run out of seats, they are required by NC DOT guidlines to sit on the seated passengers' laps, so they tend to run full. The trolley drivers often seek speed humps and rumble strips

These young ladies are also well-versed in all manner of motorcycle maintenance (not just BMW) and for a small fee will service your machine while you sleep off the high-gravity brews that you recieved gratis by virtue of your manly countenance and lousy table manners.

It's not for everybody, but I call it home.
Screw Dunlap! My Center-Lake buddy can meet us in Asheville...which is really beginning to sound like my kind o' place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts