StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. this may not be the correct place for this question but I will try anyway.

I recently removed/re-installed my rear wheel after having someone else (Cycle Gear) actually put the new tire on the wheel.

Here's the problem. When I put the new tire on I flipped the axle end-to-end as recommended by a lot of V-Strom'ers, which worked much better. The problem is that, when I installed the axle/wheel I had to loosen the chain adjustment bolts on both sides just to get the axle in. And even after loosening it about 1 full turn, the chain is tight. Like much tighter than it was before I started.

This make no sense at all to me. Why would the adjustment change when replacing a tire? Any chance I totally screwed the pooch on this?

Thanks in advance.

Kevan "Wretch with a wrench" Garrett

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
One turn is not much. Just back off the adjusters and redo the adjustment. You need a good inch of slack at the tightest point when measured on the side stand. I don't know why that would happen but I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
15,544 Posts
I've never had luck just backing off the adjusters to where I could get the axle out and then back in. I end up loosening the adjusters a lot and then tightening again after I have the axle in and nut on and get rid of some the slack. It's a bit fiddley but not difficult.
The only screwed pooch to worry about is not getting the caliper into the slide properly and having it catch and flip.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Yeah, you've got to back the adjusters off quite a bit. As to backwards axles, it doesn't make it easier for all of us. Securing the brake caliper is a much bigger help for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts