StromTrooper banner

Dubbo back roads RR

4660 Views 33 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  p38arover
Well I had a great time on the ride.

Cool but sunny weather followed us up and back over the two days.

Well done to Brian [Saturn 5] for picking some good roads that kept us off the highways for most of the run.

Great to catch up with the "gang" and also to meet Pete [Thinman] for the trip.

Breakfast at Maccas McGrath's Hill before departure.

Adding to the "clutter" in the car park prior to heading off.
Brian's mate Gerry joined us for breakfast but couldn't make the trip,
we did manage to hide his Beemer at the back of the pack for the pic.

A quick photo stop at Lake Lyell.

Just a couple of quick snaps.

Some of the lovely architecture to be found in Bathurst [although I'd rather not see the inside of this one,
it's the Court House :fineprint: ].

Stopping to check the depth before the river crossing [although some chose to try to increase the depth a little],
over the causeway it was about 75mm [3"] deep. No challenge there :green_lol:

I will be back here for some camping and fishing in the future.

What is it with this group :confused:
Maccas for breakfast.......again. :yesnod:

Now this is a new twist.
Farkling while on a road trip.
Pete had a spare fork brace to sell, Ron wanted one.
Deal done over a beer at dinner, fitted over a coffee at breakfast. :beatnik:

The line up for the obligatory group photo.
Taken at Mudgee just prior to going in different directions.

The cabins at the caravan park were not bad [better than some of the :furious: pub rooms we've had in the past, but they did add to the memories of those trips :thumbup: ].

The roads getting there were good and the dirt sections were not too hard.

After we arrived and got sorted we headed to the pub for dinner.
Talk about packed, we had to bluff our way in to a table by bullying a group of oldies to vacate it for us :biggrinjester:

The food was really good, guess that explains why it was packed.

Bob, Glenn and I all ordered steaks; what turned up on our plates were slabs of meat approximately the size of a small aircraft carrier landing deck :jawdrop:

Ron ordered a pasta dish that was delivered in a wading pool :mrgreen:

Food seemed to be a constant on this trip.

The coffee at Mudgee was very good too, Muddy had been there before.

As we had eaten at Mudgee Brian, Ron and I decided to "pass" on the lemon meringue pie at Running Stream just south of Ilford [anyone going out that way- I very highly recommend the pie].

Once the three of us parted at Lithgow [Ron and Brian opted to head straight along the highway] I slipped down in to the town and then cut back up to the Hassan's Walls road and took the dirt across to Hartley Vale and then on up to Bell.
From there it was an easy run back down through Bilpin and in to Kurrajong, looping off the main road on to the old Bell's Line taking me down in to North Richmond then on home.

Thanks to Brian for organising the trip and to the others who managed to come along.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
812 Posts
Good report Ock :thumbup:

As Ock has said was good to catch up with everyone and experience some new roads.

few pics from Saturday

Trying to keep up with Wardy somewhere between Eglinton and Mt Rankin

Does it get much better than this ? glorious weather and top bike roads (somewhere around Milkers Flat)

Finally some dirt, Gowan Rd to Lower Lewis Ponds was like the F3 compared to some of the patched tar we road

Ophir Reserve was like a oasis in the desert, bet it gets busy in the warmer weather

the entourage turning onto Burrendong Way just out of Mumbil

the shadows where getting longer and I could already taste the first quenching Ale so a beeline way made for Dubbo

"Honey I'm home" our lodgings at Dubbo City Van Park.

Sunday saw us head east out of Dubbo to Mudgee via Gollan Rd.

Nothing like starting the day with a little frost

After a latte and a cake (or two) at Mudgee Bakery, Ock, Ron and Wardy headed south while Bob, Peter and myself headed for Wollar (via Cooyal) and the Bylong Valley Way, this is one of my favourite roads, the 20 odd k's of dirt can get a bit rough at times, especially after rain, but the tar more than makes for it.

And it was as potholed as I've seen it for sometime,one section was rough enough to dislodge my top box and send it tumbling along next to me :headbang:. Thankfully Bob had a spare occy strap and all was good from then on, Thanx Bob :thmbup:

the Bridge over Meads Crossing

Instead of heading into Sandy Hollow we took the Yarrawa Deviation and on to Broke via Wallaby Scrub Rd.

just a short section gravel to start the Yarrawa Rd ( not the best pic)

the road along the Yarrawa Deviation is barely wide enough for a car in fact Bob thought we were calling in on the rello's,

Peter was sure he could hear banjos in "then there hills"

A quick coffee/refuel at Broke, before we said our goodbyes and headed home.
I rolled up the drive @ around 5.30 with just under 950 enjoyable klm on the speedo, after another great weekend :thumbup:

where we went
Dubbo Weekend - Motorcycling trip | EveryTrail

So whens the next one :confused::yesnod:

· Super Moderator
4,750 Posts
I didn't get any pics - carrying an DSLR in a packed topbox doesn't make it conducive to picture taking. I need to work out a way to carry the camera - or buy a "point and shoot".

Jeez, Muddy, your accommodation (below) was far superior to ours!

Muddy's GPS (below) is readable on the go! Mine is bloody useless - the text is too small. It's also impossible to use whilst wearing gloves and it's a motorcycle GPS. I see your GPS speed pretty well matches the Wee's speedo.

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The next time you blokes post a pic of your O/N digs could you take it at about 10.30 pm so the previous nights consumption is evident,or were you late getting home from church and straight to bed.:biggrinjester:
We were too busy watching the MotoGP to be bothered taking pics. :fineprint:

And besides, all the "evidence" was left at the pub :biggrinjester:

· Registered
534 Posts
Nice one guys, sorry I couldn't make it this trip round, hopefully the next one work depending of course.
Like the pics, looks like you all had some fun!!! :thumbup:

· Super Moderator
4,750 Posts
This pic taken by Muddy appears to be of me:

It appears I'm sitting off to the RHS of the bike. This may explain why I can see more from the LH mirror.

Do I sit off to one side?

Glenn, you took a couple of over the shoulder shots. Would you check the others to see if I am off centre. please?

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Back roads to dubbo

Thanks to all for your company, I enjoyed it all. Good sunny days and very pleasant temps. The dirt road to Mumbil was in reasonably good repair and the creek was low. I was a little concerned that after recent rain,the crossing may have been above axle height and flowing too fast to cross safely.
It was a dissapointment that a few couldn't make it on the day but we got to meet Thinman Peter and I hope he will join us in future rides.
As is often the case I didn't get to speak to each of you as much as I would have liked but will do so in future.
CHEERS; WARDY

· Registered
2,275 Posts
I'm happy to see you all had a good trip and tx for sharing the pics.:thumbup:

Wardy, if you didn't go to bed at sundown maybe you would have time to talk to everybody more :green_lol:

Ron, you are a long way from centre :biggrinjester:

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You should be more worried about alzhiemers than your off centre lean Ron.

Don't you remember me asking you ages ago on a ride if you have a back problem because you lean off centre?

You replied you do have a crook back and maybe that's why you're off (centre,that is).

D'oh! :headbang:
:green_lol:
:biggrinjester:

· Registered
812 Posts
Glenn, you took a couple of over the shoulder shots. Would you check the others to see if I am off centre. please?
Actually Ron, Bob and I were discussing on the way home that we thought you were a bit off centre :green_lol:

· Super Moderator
4,750 Posts
You should be more worried about alzhiemers than your off centre lean Ron.

Don't you remember me asking you ages ago on a ride if you have a back problem because you lean off centre?

You replied you do have a crook back and maybe that's why you're off (centre,that is).

D'oh! :headbang:
:biggrinjester:
I did remember that before I asked the question. I also noticed my crotch wasn't central to the tank and I tried shifting but to no avail.

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also noticed my crotch wasn't central to the tank and I tried shifting but to no avail.
WTF :confused:

When they say "ride your bike" they don't mean hump the bloody thing Ron. :fineprint:

Besides if you stick your "old feller" in the hole in the tank you will get some serious after effects from the fuel in there. :yikes:

:green_lol::green_lol::green_lol: :green_lol::green_lol:
There ya go, now you can call me a bastard too. :biggrinjester:

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ta for the pics lads looked like a lovely ride and fun by all,I particularly like the snap by the river with the Garbage can,:biggrinjester:
Have you not noticed I post pics of garbage cans on my ride reports :confused:

Here are some I "prepared earlier". :fineprint:

Bent's Basin ride recently with Belinda.

On a road trip to Victoria a few years back on the K100RT.

A day ride down through the Royal National Park.

A run down to the "Gong".

Sydney/Adelaide/Melbourne ride [just after I bought the Wee in09].

They all have bins in the pic.
And there are more I have posted up here in the past too. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.