StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for dual sport tires for dl1000 - I ride mostly on paved roads but enjoy dirt/gravel and want to explore some trail riding...heidenau k76? currently on bike seem pretty much useless offroad...
Jake

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
How bad are those dirt trails and gravel?

In order of knobbieness:
Continental TKC 80 & Kenda Big Block
Continental TKC 70, Heidenau K60 Scout, Mitas E-07
Shinko 705 & Full Bore M40
then the so-called 80/20 or 90/10 tires like the Metzeler Tourance, Brigestone Battlewing, Michelin Anakee 3, and similar. There is no way to measure 80% street & 20% dirt, so the tire companies call their tires whatever they want to call them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tires????

Haven't really been offroad yet other than on a few trails - the tires I have are ok on dirt and gravel - but I need more "knobbiness" to do anything else - I guess I'm looking for a better offroad tire that still handles well on the street.

I realize this is a difficult compromise - but for such a heavy bike offroad I will need some traction to stay upright...I am ok if tires wear out over the season but need them to handle of the road ok if I am to explore much...not trying to do single track or anything crazy like that...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Continental TKC 80 - experience?

Found Continental TKC 80 picture on continental site - these look decent - anyone have any experience with these?

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
Found Continental TKC 80 picture on continental site - these look decent - anyone have any experience with these?

Lots and lots and lots of info and experience from others here that have used those tires, use that Google custom search box and put in TKC80 and see what magically happens. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kenda Big Block K784

Anyone have these tires? They look comparable to TKC-80 but about $100 less for the pair...I mostly ride on the street but want some "bite" to explore trails...any idea touring how many kms on the road these might last?
Jake

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, these are great reviews. I've looked at all including the |K|60 reviews and like these tires for their aggressive tread pattern and longevity - so I think I'll give them a go. Cheers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The likes of the TKC or Big Blocks wont last as long as other options. Along those lines consider the Shinko 804/805. If you want something a bit more 50/50 maybe 60/40 consider the Mitas E07

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion Desert Rally

I put these tires on last year for a 700 mile dirt trip. Total miles at 1500
No cupping, still has nipples, no problems. I'd recommend them to anyone
wanting a good long wearing knobby!
Scot

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is likely too late for the OP, but for anyone else.. I bit the bullet and bought a set of Heidenau K60 Scouts and put them on my '05 Strom last fall. They were spendy, but reviews said they'd last forever so..

A couple thousand miles in, and I have been very very pleased. I ride mostly pavement, but hit the gravel when I can. They seem to hold their own very well in both conditions, and they look nearly brand new.

The only scary thing was at about 300 miles, I stupidly took them out in the wet. I wouldn't recommend that for the first 500-700 miles. It was a little scary. Now they are totally fine in the Seattle rain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts