StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode the Vee down a sandy dirt road today and it felt right at home! The tires may make the difference, I just put a Tourance on the back and it handled great. I rode an XT600 in Brazil and the Vee handled just as good as my old XT. Maybe because I have ridden it so much and feel at home on it?

Anyway I believe that it is truly a dual sport with leanings towards the road.

I give it a 70% on road and 30% off road. What is your opinion?

·
Registered
11 Posts
99% / 1%. I have had all of the offroad riding that I can handle in a life time. Don't get me wrong... I love offroad riding! That's why they make dirt bikes and trailers. The thing I like most about the Vee, as a road bike, is how high you sit on the seat and the standard foot controls. I once had an XT and that's where all this riding got started. I enjoyed having a dual sport bike when I was young and could only afford one bike. I look at the Vee as a street touring bike only! It's nice to know that if I have to go off road my bike will handle everything just fine. But I choose not to look for off road routes. Long live the Vee!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Rode the Vee down a sandy dirt road today and it felt right at home! The tires may make the difference, I just put a Tourance on the back and it handled great. I rode an XT600 in Brazil and the Vee handled just as good as my old XT. Maybe because I have ridden it so much and feel at home on it?

I think the answers to your question will be highly subjective. It depends upon a person's riding ability and their definition of off-road (or definition of a road).

I consider the V-strom (Vee and Wee) an "all road" bike. I have ridden dual sport bikes in places I wouldn't dream of taking my Wee. This includes through the wood and on rocky jeep trails that scared the piss out of me on my KLR650 (Black Bear Pass heading into Telluride, CO)

The tires you have on the bike will make a difference too. If you stick a set of Pilot Roads then the bike is nothing but a street bike that can be ridden slowly on a dirt road. Throw a set of TKCs on it and you have a different bike. To me, the beauty of the V-strom is that it fails to fall into a category. The bike is rather polarizing in that respect. Anytime somebody tries to pin it down, somebody else comes along to tell you how much they disagree with you. That is kinda neat if you ask me.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts

I think your problem here is definition

have you really taken the V-strom "off road"

what is "off road" to you, a sandy dirt road :rolleyes: not me, the Strom is great on roads with questionable maintenance, but I still consider it a road

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think your problem here is definition

have you really taken the V-strom "off road"

what is "off road" to you, a sandy dirt road :rolleyes: not me, the Strom is great on roads with questionable maintenance, but I still consider it a road
I would not take a Harley or Goldwing down that dirt road. It could be done but very cautiously. I was doing 25-30 mph and was surprised that it was sticking so well.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I have never felt the least bit of concern in riding the Vee through the deepest parking lot puddles, or even over beach sand blown across A1A during a winter storm. This truly is a versatile machine.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never felt the least bit of concern in riding the Vee through the deepest parking lot puddles, or even over beach sand blown across A1A during a winter storm. This truly is a versatile machine.
It is a Sport/Touring bike that can do a bit of off road. There! That describes it. :D

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I am an avowed asphalt-weenie...figure 99.9% road vs 0.1% dirt. About the only time my Vee gets off a paved surface is when I put it in the front yard to wash it. For those that enjoy the dirt, more power to you...but I am most definitely NOT amongst your number. :cool:

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I am an avowed asphalt-weenie...figure 99.9% road vs 0.1% dirt. About the only time my Vee gets off a paved surface is when I put it in the front yard to wash it. For those that enjoy the dirt, more power to you...but I am most definitely NOT amongst your number. :cool:
some of us live where a substantial portion if not the majority of roads are unpaved. I don't have a preference for dirt, I just consider it to be a normal part of riding, not only the V-strom, any bike

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
For those who doubt!!! Not my bike but maybe one day.....
Is that a shot from the fabulous "Dirt National Park?" Or did they take the Vee to Mars? Cripes, who'd want to go to that place?

"Oh look honey, there's some really big dirt clods over there! Let's go see."

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Is that a shot from the fabulous "Dirt National Park?" Or did they take the Vee to Mars? Cripes, who'd want to go to that place?

"Oh look honey, there's some really big dirt clods over there! Let's go see."
Not everywhere is like Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

I plan on one day doing a trip through the Andes mountains to machu picchu from Brazil and I will have to traverse a desert much like that one. It is called an adventure. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machu_Picchu

·
Registered
953 Posts
I always understood the Strom to be a "road bike", just that unlike most light tourers it was tolerant of however low-tech and barely improved those roads may be. :)

I know people do it, but I probably wouldn't ride my V truly offroad.

·
Registered
201 Posts
SUM?

I consider the 'Strom a Sport-Utility-Motorcycle.

Compare to the car world; it's much like an Explorer or Outback. Great around town and for all the daily stuff in town, AND it will tackle some unpaved areas with little effort. Depending on driver/rider skill, one can take things a little further in stock trim. If you want to go to rougher terrain, you will need to spend money; tires, springs, etc., and increase your skill level.

The 'Strom is not a Jeep(KLR or similar). Most of the capability relies on the SKILL of the rider. A very skilled rider will go places on a 'Strom that a newbie on a knobbie dirt bike can't follow.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If He can do it why not the V-Strom?

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
I've had my Wee in many places I'd never thought I could ride a street bike. I've also tipped it over several times while finding the extent of it's limitations. To me, it is a very capable sport-tourer that can handle some very nasty dirt roads and 2-tracks with the right tires/suspension/protection and rider. I've learned to leave the really dirty stuff to my little enduro.

·
Registered
364 Posts
"off road" IMO is just that, off road. Yeah, dirt roads don't count, gravel roads don't count, paved roads with pot-holes don't count, roads with some sand blown across them don't count, and so forth.

Off-road, to me means "off road", and the Strom ain't no off road bike. Now my WR on the other hand, that is an off road capable bike. The Strom, not so much. Yeah, you can force it to do mild off road stuff, but I wouldn't use the term capable with it even if I was paid to. LOL

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
"off road" IMO is just that, off road. Yeah, dirt roads don't count, gravel roads don't count, paved roads with pot-holes don't count, roads with some sand blown across them don't count, and so forth.

Off-road, to me means "off road", and the Strom ain't no off road bike. Now my WR on the other hand, that is an off road capable bike. The Strom, not so much. Yeah, you can force it to do mild off road stuff, but I wouldn't use the term capable with it even if I was paid to. LOL
So...do parking lots count as "off road"?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would say that for gravel roads, Fire roads, and some light trails it does fine... I have rode my bike on these roads a lot and have have droped it a little finding out just how far i can go(dam trails with mud and worn out stock tires)... I like the way it handles off road however the first thing you should do is get a new set of tires when i went with the tourances i found out how much of a difference it can make... Oh yeah and just avoid deep sand at all costs....

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
99% / 1%. The thing I like most about the Vee, as a road bike, is how high you sit on the seat and the standard foot controls. I look at the Vee as a street touring bike only! It's nice to know that if I have to go off road my bike will handle everything just fine. But I choose not to look for off road routes. Long live the Vee!
Ditto!! :D

A "hey I wonder where that windy, PAVED, road goes" bike without equal. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts