Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very scenic dual sport adventure in SW Wisc/ NE Iowa. I start my rides at Cabellas in Prairie Du Chien, Wisc. Some of the best riding anywhere in the Midwest! I have spent most of my time on the Mississippi River but just recently I road the Strom in the area. Unbelievable!! Winding roads along huge bluffs, Tall trees, Eagles, Rivers and Streams. Very comparable to riding out west.
Anyone welcome to join me for some on road/off road exploring. Don't forget your camera!

Bring your bike and a jetski (If you own one).

PM me or just call 319-240-2596
Jeff

·
Registered
290 Posts
Balltown Iowa

I've ridden some of the areas in Iowa you describe. Have you ever been to Balltown Iowa? Very nice as well. Nice old german bar and restaurant there. The original burnt down a few years ago but they rebuilt. The restaurant is call Breitbachs. Best home made pies and german food ever!!! If you've never been there ask for Mike the owner and tell him a couple of guys from Michigan sent you. He loves biker business and typically gives you a free piece of homemade pie if its your first visit.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have to agree, you are describing some of my favorite places to ride.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've ridden some of the areas in Iowa you describe. Have you ever been to Balltown Iowa? Very nice as well. Nice old german bar and restaurant there. The original burnt down a few years ago but they rebuilt. The restaurant is call Breitbachs. Best home made pies and german food ever!!! If you've never been there ask for Mike the owner and tell him a couple of guys from Michigan sent you. He loves biker business and typically gives you a free piece of homemade pie if its your first visit.
We may head that way today. Then take the ferry over the Mississippi to Cassville. It is just beautiful up here!!!
Please let me know if anyone is looking for new area to check out. This is it!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few pics from the SW Wisc/ NE Iowa

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
few more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
view

Pikes Peak outlook

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Jeff, what skill level are these roads at. Is this a ride for a thumper or more dirt-oriented ride, or are those of us with big pigs (GS1150) able to ride what you have planned? I'm in the Cities ... my one opportunity to ride the gravel of Vernon County (Viroqua, Westby) left me with a BFSEG on my face and I'd love to do it again!

Greg

·
Registered
626 Posts
The area he's talking about, particularly the SW corner of WI, has a wide variety of good, paved two-lane roads that are great for riding. Getting to the top of some of the bluffs, for the best sight seeing/picture taking opportunities, may require riding on a gravel stretch. Generally, if the riding is too rough, you can park at the bottom and walk to the top.

From where you're at, you can run the River Road south through Redwing and Wabasha. A great ride with good things to see and do on both sides of the River.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks, Chuck -- yes, I am in Rosemount, MN, and getting over to WI 35 and the alphabets down toward Alma/Nelson and back the MN side by Red Wing... Goodhue Co 19 and 7... are my usual riding grounds.

Greg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeff, what skill level are these roads at. Is this a ride for a thumper or more dirt-oriented ride, or are those of us with big pigs (GS1150) able to ride what you have planned? I'm in the Cities ... my one opportunity to ride the gravel of Vernon County (Viroqua, Westby) left me with a BFSEG on my face and I'd love to do it again!

Greg
Greg,

The gravel roads I ride are not bad at all. I have no problem with the DL1000. Bring your camera and let's ride!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
As I type this the calander says February 4th. Temp is 9 degrees. I've been thinking about summer bike rides for the past couple months and can't wait for spring!

I hope we can put together a gathering this summer (big or small). Many bikers meet at Cabella's in Prairie Du Chien, WI.

Please post here if you are interested in a group ride. I'm sure we can put together a date.

Think spring:mod2_scooter:

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Thanks, Chuck -- yes, I am in Rosemount, MN, and getting over to WI 35 and the alphabets down toward Alma/Nelson and back the MN side by Red Wing... Goodhue Co 19 and 7... are my usual riding grounds.

Greg
Im in Eagan, and travel the WI 35. Good roads and nice ride.

·
Registered
58 Posts
As I type this the calander says February 4th. Temp is 9 degrees. I've been thinking about summer bike rides for the past couple months and can't wait for spring!

I hope we can put together a gathering this summer (big or small). Many bikers meet at Cabella's in Prairie Du Chien, WI.

Please post here if you are interested in a group ride. I'm sure we can put together a date.

Think spring:mod2_scooter:
I may be interested in a group ride this spring. Keep me posted! Coming from Chicago. I'm no speed demon though, so I'll be riding around the speed limit and taking turns conservatively. I once hauled ass up to MN with some sportbikers who couldn't take a turn below 70mph to save their lives. After getting knocked down by a doe in summer 2009 and skipping around on all the many gravel-strewn turns of the alphabet roads, I'm not riding those speeds on those roads anymore.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may be interested in a group ride this spring. Keep me posted! Coming from Chicago. I'm no speed demon though, so I'll be riding around the speed limit and taking turns conservatively. I once hauled ass up to MN with some sportbikers who couldn't take a turn below 70mph to save their lives. After getting knocked down by a doe in summer 2009 and skipping around on all the many gravel-strewn turns of the alphabet roads, I'm not riding those speeds on those roads anymore.

No worries here. I ride pretty close to the speed limit and stop at scenic areas to take pix to share with others. We are now getting very close to spring!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts