StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a good dual seat with a backrest? I like the corbin seat (visually anyway) but I hearl that Corbin is having financial woes? I'd hate to order one and have them go under before I get my seat! :?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, I'm thinking now I might go the route of adding a topcase with a backrest (if needed). I like the Givi monolock cases (i'm not interested in side mounting) but I'm not sure how they mount. I know for the monokey cases there is a mouting plate for the Strom but how about the monolock cases? Am I dumb and really should be looking at the monokey cases? I mostly want it for the backrest so I don;t need anything with a huge carrying capacity.

·
Registered
195 Posts
corbin's problems involve the division that was making those silly little cycle/cars. seat division is separate. just got mine before leaving for daytona....as always, best investment i ever make in every motorcycle i've owned....
YMMV

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW THAT IS UUUUUUUGLY!!! That red doesn't look like it would match the red of the v-stroms available.

BUT I have a Corbin (black not red!) and I love it!!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, my bike is all black so that won't work at all. Thanks for passing along the info though.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My Givi topcase should be arriving yet today (if snow doesn't stop the UPS driver). My plan is for my wife to use it as a back rest. RL Motorcycles http://www.cyclesaddles.com/home/Accessories/Givi_Luggage.htm is having a 17% off retail sale on Givi products through the end of March.

The MonoLock cases come with a 'universal' mounting plate. Here is a link that describes the mounting process. http://www.esatclear.ie/~aparkes/vstrom/accessories/

The MonoLock is not as heavy duty as the MonoKey, but that may not be a concern for your use.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! Which one did you order? I think I am going with the E350. I like the fact that it's removable becuase I prolly won't be using it when I ride by myself.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I have a Russell Day Long Saddle and could not be happier....
I would contact them....*About the same $ ........

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TomStromie said:
http://www.cyclesaddles.com/home/Accessories/Givi_Luggage.htm is having a 17% off retail sale on Givi products through the end of March.
I think I'm going to order from Twisted Throttle, even though it will be about $20 cheaper at cyclesaddles. I have ordered from TT before and they seem to really do a lot for the the Stroms (the proprietor owns one I believe) so I don't mind a little extra to support his business. Not to take anything away from Cyclesaddles. I try to be a loyal customer if I'm treated right. :)

I just have to get the wife's approval which shouldn't be too hard since it's really for her. :wink:

·
Registered
360 Posts
JRE said:
Thanks! Which one did you order? I think I am going with the E350. I like the fact that it's removable becuase I prolly won't be using it when I ride by myself.
The snow slowed the UPS driver, but it didn't stop him. I ordered the E460 and installed it this morning.

Take the luggage rack off your V-Strom before you do anything else. There are a bunch of little bolts holding the mounting plate together, and this will make it much easier. Just be sure to put the luggage rack back on your bike before you get too far along in the process. :)

Now for the rubber pad on the existing luggage rack. Some just cut the pad off, but I'm not that kind of guy. I used a bit of liquid soap as a lubricant and pushed the little rubber plugs back through the holes using a small screwdriver while pulling the pad away from the rack. Now I can always go back to the rubber pad if I wish.

Mounting the case probably took about 1-1/2 hours from start to finish, but I wasn't hurrying things--we have 6 inches of fresh snow on the ground. :(

Oh, and don't order a backpad right away for your wife. Unless the two of you are petit, I don't think you will have enough room for it.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check out the Butt Buffer folks in PA. They have a good reputation. A custom fit saddle is the only way to go if you're planning on LONG rides. Most custom saddle makers will do it on the existing seat pan, and for out of area customers riding in for a fitting, will often get the seat done in one day.

I've had saddles from Corbin, Mustang, Sargent and Russel. None have come close to the comfort I'm enjoying with my custom saddle. Rich's Custom Seats in Seattle (where I got mine custom fitted) will do mail order, and Motorcycle Consumer News rates his mail-order saddles as some of the most comfortable and best made, regardless of cost. If you choose Rich, be prepared to spend some time on the phone with him and have your tape measure ready. He's kind of a legend among the Iron Butt crowd, where his saddles are considered a staple among Iron Butt Rally winners.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts