StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've had these off-brand horns sitting in my basement for a couple of years. With it I've also had an Eastern Beaver dual-horn wiring & relay kit. I was going to put it on my Hawk GT, but never got around to it. They're from a company called Candlepower. Rated dB is 115. They seemed kind of generic to me, but they were a gift.

I'd never even fired them off before. So today, I hooked them up to my Strom's battery, and hot-wired the relay switch leads to the battery terminals to see how loud they were. I fully expected them to be worse than the Stebel horn. Afterall, 115 dB is less than 139 dB. When I completed the circuit... Holy Cow! :eek: These things are loud as hell! They're dual-note horns, one is high and one is low, and I think that really makes a difference. I've seen YouTube videos of the Stebel horn, and I think the tone this one puts out is WAY more abrupt and "authoritative." It sounds just like those super-obnoxious horns you find on really big SUVs. :D The Stebel horn may have a greater dB rating, but I think the dual note horn is perceived as being louder.

Anyway, these horns rock and I want them on my Strom. They mount via a single bolt in the middle of the shiny round part. But where can I mount them symmetrically? I've got a few ideas...

Option 1:
Mount them on either side of the front cylinder. All of the sound energy is firing forward. But how to I mount them here?

Option 2:
Mount them under the headlights. Again, all sound energy is going forward. For them to go here, I'd have to cut into the plastic "floor" of fairing cavity to connect them (somehow) to the tubes that support the headlight/fairing. Seems kind of invasive.

Option 3:
Mount them inside the fairing. This is nice because they're out of sight. They can "shoot" out of those little triangular grilles. The support bars are right there to attach to. But... I'm worried about the sound reflecting up and out the top of the fairing cavity instead of blasting inattentive drivers. Has anyone with this setup found that they were blasting themselves with their own horn?

So yeah, those are my options... anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
537 Posts
the last pic of the horns inside the fairing would be the best. I had a set of those famm horns on my suz gs850g and they got a bit water logged when mounted near the head light. thos horns need to drain water if you're caught in the rain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Horn location, I went low

I once had a set of horns laying around, too, Fiamm air horns! They begged me to use them on my DL1000. As to location, their length dictated they be mounted low. This low location (your option 1) should work well for your horns, too. I fabricated a simple bracket that attaches to the oil cooler mount bolt, which is visible under your hand in your pic. You can rotate them down a bit which will drain the water and the sound will bounce off the road.

In my case, I made a simple task more complicated, and theoretically, more fun! I wanted to retain the more civil OEM peep-peep, so I hooked the compressor (mounted under gas tank) up to the flash-to-pass button. And, because I still wanted the lights to flash, I had to install a diode in the wiring harness. I mounted the relay for the compressor behind the battery on the plastic tray. You can't really see the horns in my avatar, but let me know if you are interested & I'll post some better pictures of the whole deal.

God's Peace, Jeff

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Other possible locations for dual horns. I used slightly offset brackets (gives them a little standoff from the frame) mounted to the frame bolts as shown. They're exposed, but I'm a function-over-form guy anyway, plus they add to the Wee's beautiful ugliness. ;)

I pointed the trumpets a few degrees forward from vertical to help keep the elements out and to bounce the sound off the asphalt when used.

Hope these help you out.

Right side

Right side again

Left side

Left side again

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. Thanks for the help, guys!

I think I'm going to put them in the fairing, pointing down. I saw a guy on this site who used ground rod clamps to grab onto those support bars, and mounted the horns to those clamps. I think I'll do that.

I'd like to keep the OEM horn as a "civil" horn, but there ain't nothing civil about commuting in Baltimore! :p The OEM horn is a joke, people don't even look up from their phone conversation... i can't wait to be a jerk and blast people with these babies! :devil_16:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got these suckers mounted this past weekend.

I found a really elegant way to secure them... I used 5/8", rubber-clad metal couduit straps from the Electrical dept. of Home Depot. They grip the support bars perfectly. I used two per side, and joined them with a strip of aluminum. The horn attached to the metal strip. They're very secure, and tucked perfectly between the fork tubes and fairing.

I also spliced into the wires for my OEM horn, so ALL THREE horns go off at the same time. "Loud" doesn't even begin to describe it! Mission accomplished! :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got these suckers mounted this past weekend.

I found a really elegant way to secure them... I used 5/8", rubber-clad metal couduit straps from the Electrical dept. of Home Depot. They grip the support bars perfectly. I used two per side, and joined them with a strip of aluminum. The horn attached to the metal strip. They're very secure, and tucked perfectly between the fork tubes and fairing.

I also spliced into the wires for my OEM horn, so ALL THREE horns go off at the same time. "Loud" doesn't even begin to describe it! Mission accomplished! :D
Got any pictures? I'm looking for ideas to find the best way to mount up duals on mine.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Horn wiring...

I have a question about splicing into the OEM horn wires. I'm zero on electrical ability, so this may be stupid.

I've seen the wiring kits for other horns that include a relay. Is it acceptable to simply pick up the power for a relay from the OEM horn wiring?

Is there a "horn wiring for dummies" post around that doesn't require any electrical knowledge?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
This is for dual horns using the OEM horn switch leads. Adjust accordingly if wiring just a single horn using the OEM leads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the diagram!

·
Registered
108 Posts
sorry to bring up an old thread guys, but I just got a set of FIAMM freeway blasters (high and low). What are my best options for mounting these (with regards to them not being readily visible )?

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
sorry to bring up an old thread guys, but I just got a set of FIAMM freeway blasters (high and low). What are my best options for mounting these (with regards to them not being readily visible )?
On my Vee, I had them mounted like this. That view is if you were sitting on the bike looking down in there.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I mounted the same horns inside the faring of my '02 VEE. I used some insulated cable straps and small 'L' brackets to mount them to the fairing cage.

May have muffled them a little being inside the faring, but still plenty loud enough.

right side

left side

looking down

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for the ideas guys, I mounted my freeway blasters inside the front fairings on the support posts similar to the poster above me, and made a thread here with pics. I also made a diagram showing how I wired the system up.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=46064

1 - 14 of 14 Posts