StromTrooper banner

DRZ400 or DR650?

6896 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  maxblack
I'm about to buy one of the above and want some opinions on each. Both bikes have around 10,000km on them, are registered, in good nick and bargain priced. The 2003 DZ has a pipe, the 2008 DR a 30L tank, bash plate, soft bags and rack. The DZ is $2K cheaper than the DR.

I want a bike for local forest roads and similar, bit of single track but nothing more trying. I have been using the Wee, but the suspension is getting hammered, the panels etc are vulnerable and the sheer weight is a problem. My normal run on one of these outings is around 150km with perhaps 70km of that on 80/100kmh tarred roads, so I need something that can cruise comfortably at those speeds. I'm about 75kg and 5'10", with a lot of dirt riding experience and both bikes "fit" me OK.

So, both are very good deals, not a huge difference in power or weight and the farkles aren't important to me as I'll only be using it locally - which one would you go for? (I'm keeping the Wee, btw.)
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
601 Posts
DRZ is a much better dirt bike. The DR will go 70+ mph (110kph) all day long, without much effort, especially with a larger jet and airbox mod. Its not geared low enough to do anything technical. It is a perfect gravel road bike, IMO.

· Registered
12 Posts

I had a Wee, dropped it and bought a DR650 and have put 34,000 on it.
The first time I rode the DR I thought I was going off the back and when I
put the front brake on I thought I was going over the front; so the Wee's
suspension is way stiffer in my barely useful opinion.

I've just bought a(nother) Wee and
I'm looking to swap the DR for a 400 or maybe even less.
I do less than 10% gravel only and am hoping my skills in loose stuff
which have improved out of site on the DR will be OK for the Wee.

· Registered
812 Posts
another vote for the DRZ :thumbup:

better at single track etc and can do longer adventure type rides when set up right.
I have a mate who rode his KLX 400 (Drz with kawasaki plastics) from here in Newcastle to the Snowy and Victoria North East with out any problems, provided you are happy to just cruise along on the open sections

· Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, DRZ it is. I went to buy the one I wanted an hour or so back and found it had just been sold, but there are a few others to check out and if I can't get a reasonable one in the next week or two the DR can be the fallback. I haven't ridden a DR for years and haven't ever ridden a DRZ but have a fair amount of time on TT500 Yamahas and XL500R Hondas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.