StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've decided to go with a soft bag setup for DL1000. I have average set of Cortech saddlebags with the bike which I will replace eventually.

But for now I want to start with a dry duffle bag. The main contenders seems to be the Wolfman, Giant Loop and Nelson Riggs.

I want a good qualifty, waterproof and able to add the dry saddlebags laters.

I see the GL access roll up from either end, not the top. Good or bad from people's experience?

The Wolfman seems to have the better integrated "system" witj it's matching saddlebags, but it's LARGE duffle doesn't seen that large?

The Nelson-Riggs looks great, and is again an integrated "system" with dry saddlebags and is less than 1/2 the price of WM, but am I sacrificing quality?

I want a quality system as I intend to use for years.

Also, do the WM and NR saddlebags require racks to mount?

Thanks all in advance

·
Registered
725 Posts
I use the Wolfman Medium Exp Dry duffel. Great quality and waterproof. Comes with straps for mounting.
It carries all my camping and cooking gear and more, does not interfere at all with the side cases.
I've had good luck with their tank bag too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
If you check out your local outdoor stores (eg. REI), they have a good selection of dry bags. Used a lot for canoeing and kayaking. Usually less expensive than motorcycle specific ones.
And (don't laugh), Wal-Mart has a pretty good selection lots of times and for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have used the Firstgear Torrent waterproof duffel for a year now. Several trips with anything from camping to normal overnights in a hotel. I got the 70 liter one but they have a 25 and a 40L also and it's not so pricey as some of the others. I have been really pleased with it overall.

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/firstgear-torrent-duffle-bag

Also, from drrod - "And (don't laugh), Wal-Mart has a pretty good selection lots of times and for a very reasonable price."

Above is a true story - I found an Ozark Trail one that looks literally JUST LIKE the Firstgear for $30. Basically the same.

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
I've got a couple old dry bags that roll from the end. Never did care for that feature. The bags that open along the side I would think could be more convenient.
The motorcycle specific bags seem overly pricey. Check with the sporting goods store, outdoor store, like Cabela or Bass Pro Shop, and the Wally World.
You may save hundreds$.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
For Best quality and long life I can recommend the SealLine Widemouth Duffle 80L. Silly expensive at $110 these days...but perfect for "over the passenger seat" mounting.

(4) heavy duty D-rings on the bottom, inset a few inches on each corner. All you need are (2) 18" heavy duty bungee cords to mount. My duffle is leak free after 6 years of abuse. Black bag w/ black bungees:

Shallow front pocket, (2) side pockets on the outside for quick access to small items. The wide-mouth, roll-top makes for easy packing.

I got the 80L. size because I seem to arrive home with a lot more than I left with. Experience shows that at least 30% of total packing space needs to be available for ride souvenirs. The top rolls down, which minimizes the size until you fill the inner space.

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
Ride souvenirs. Love it. Crap from National Parks and shirts from rallies.
If you are a HArley riders, shirts from every dealer you go by.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
I have this dry duffel and am very impressed with quality for the price, there are other very nice bags out there as well that won't break the bank. Nelsonrigg stuff is excellent, in particular their latest line. Might also give these side bags a hard look, they are getting "very favorable" reviews on ADVrider. I have transitioned to waterproof soft bags and won't be going back to the aluminum or plastic panniers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCYETQ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Waterproof Soft Panniers

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ride souvenirs. Love it. Crap from National Parks and shirts from rallies.
If you are a HArley riders, shirts from every dealer you go by.
Yeah. Include stag horns from that little shop in an old Colorado mountain mining town.

Or the "practically free" 8.5X17 doc scanner, with OCR software, found at an Arkansas flea market.

If I get any "homemade" jars of White Dutch Clover honey in Missouri, I had better have enough for the extended family.

30% of total packing space available for eventuallities works for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, reviews and feeback. After much research I decided to go for the Mosko Moto Scout 60 dry duffle. It was probably the most expensive of the bunch, and I'll admit I did take a brief pause at the checkout when the total delivered, with tax and the back country cinch straps (it doesn't come with tie down straps) was a tick over $206.

However I justified it to myself that it had a lifetime warranty, cool features and nothing but rave reviews...oh to hell with it..I'll admit I just wanted it lol.

There were plenty of options around the $100 to $150 mark, and at the end of the day I was agonising over an extra 50 bucks or so...
Then I had a moment of clarity as I was at Seattle airport with the kids waiting to fly to Orlando. They were hungry preflight so I ordered the 3 of them, and me, some food at Burger King. The grand total? $48. Kinda put in in perspective. If I'm prepared to spend $50 on some crap food then why not on the luggage I really want..

Anyway, hopefully it's arrived Beauty_Shot_grande.jpg for me when I return to Seattle next week and I'll post my thoughts.

Thanks again all...

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, reviews and feeback. After much research I decided to go for the Mosko Moto Scout 60 dry duffle. It was probably the most expensive of the bunch, and I'll admit I did take a brief pause at the checkout when the total delivered, with tax and the back country cinch straps (it doesn't come with tie down straps) was a tick over $206.

However I justified it to myself that it had a lifetime warranty, ...
Anyway, hopefully it's arrived Beauty_Shot_grande.jpg for me when I return to Seattle next week and I'll post my thoughts.

Thanks again all...
please do . i was just looking at the same brand to replace my pelican 25l top case .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts