StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight after I ate down at a place near the beach I decided to take a little ride past Archie's (Norman's favorite place in beautiful Fort Pierce, FL) and on the way there I passed three guys on cruisers coming towards me. Not the pirate looking types at all. Jeans & t-shirts, but they weren't playing the part. Anyway, I thought they were going a bit fast, but whatever...people do it.

I cruised past Archie's, made the turnaround and headed back. I was approaching the last roundabout before crossing the bridge to get back to mainland Florida when I saw traffic was backed way up. Once I got up there I found out why. They guy leading those cruisers had gone down and they were in the road trying to move his bike. I stopped, put on the flashers and helped.

After we got the bike off the road I got a look at the guy. He had a big gash in the back of his head (no helmet) that had blood pouring down the back of his neck. Probably take 6 or 7 stitches to close that sucker.His new Archie's shirt was ruined. Depending on how you look at it I suppose. He also had a gash out of his upper thigh and various scrapes on his arms.

I asked one of his buddies what happened & they said he hit the roundabout at about 35mph on a Suzuki Boulevard M50. Way too fast for that bike even if you're going "straight" through the roundabout. And especially if you've been drinking, which I later found out he was. Actually, he was drunk. No doubt about it. So the story goes he was going too fast and his left peg was scraping so hard it pushed him back up which caused him to hit the outer curb of the roundabout on his right. He went up on the curb (splitting his front rim) and "corrected" to the left. Here he jumped the median and the bike hit (head on) the sign pole in the median. His friends said the bike came to a dead stop and he took several tumbles into the oncoming traffic lane. Lucky for him there was no oncoming traffic. The bike hit the pole with enough force to bend it to between 1 and 2 o'clock. His front fender, headlight & left foot peg did not survive that collision.

Eventually one of his friends showed up & they loaded the bike in the back of a truck and took him to the ER.

This dude is lucky to be alive. Very lucky.

Sorry for the sideways pics. Photobucket is being a little beyatch and even though I rotated the pics before saving them they're still showing up this way, even though they're showing right in Photobucket. Whatever.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Riders like that should have their license revoked...permanently.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Karma.......

A deal with the devil is only good for so long.

I raced bikes professionally and obviously alcohol was never a part of any of it. After I retired from racing I had a hard time adjusting to "pleasure" riding because to put it simple, it just wasn't a thrill for me. But after 10 years off a bike I got back in it and bought a RC for track days and a Harley for cruising. The pirates I rode with started drinking at 9:00 am and by noon were all pretty buzzed, if not drunk. Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, I did it too......

But then a buddy slammed a car one weekend while we were riding and it woke me up. I stopped at that point and haven't done a "drink and ride" for many years now. Don't get me wrong, I drink beer on a daily basis, but never before or while riding. Just ain't worth it. If I kill my own stupid self so be it, but I couldn't stand the thought of injuring or killing someone else due to my own asinine self.

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
Recently we came across a bunch of harley rides that had an old feller down. we called 911 AND GOT A response to get him. He was OK but his ego and bike suffered a bit.
Too bad they polish chrome and not practice skills.
I really hate crashing! not as though I don't have some experience at that!:yikes:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, no cops showed up. And with 6 dudes there all at least 15 years younger than me, and in much better shape, I wasn't about to do anything other than take a few pics of the bike.

Self preservation is my motto.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think this deserves a "C'mon, man..."

I will never get the ego/macho attitude. It's hard to make fun of someone when you're strapped to a gurney or worse yet, six feet under.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Nope, no cops showed up. And with 6 dudes there all at least 15 years younger than me, and in much better shape, I wasn't about to do anything other than take a few pics of the bike.

Self preservation is my motto.
And self preservation extends to limiting the number of dangerous riders on the road.

Here's whatcha do next time, and if you ride near Archie's on the weekend, there will be a next time:

Dial 911.

911 what's your emergency?

Hey hon, I'm going to be a little late, there's a rider down here on the second roundabout west of Archie's.

Sir is this an emergency?

You betcha, honey, I'm fine, I just found him here, I think he just left from Archie's, he's cut up pretty bad.

Is he injured?

Absolutely, I'll stop by the gorcery store on the way home, we'll need some bacon for grilling.

Sir, are you saying there is a motorcycle wreck with an injury and drinking is involved?

You know it babe, I've gotta go, love you, too!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well, sympathy given = zero. I hope that at the hospital they figured out what actually happened and made the police report.

A few years ago, actually, three years ago this holiday weekend (in Canada it's a long weekend) I had some drinks while out, and a couple of hours later thought I was fine to ride, so I did. Right into a DUI Check Stop. Fortunately for me, I wasn't criminally intoxicated, just over the provincial "warning" limit. Lost my license for a week, had to get my bike towed home, and explain to my wife what happened.

It takes less booze than you think to get into trouble, and the stakes on the bike are a whole lot higher. As I was sitting on the curb waiting for the tow for my bike that night, I saw a couple of the drunks they caught. I'm really glad those cops were out there, and I now have a strict one beer limit while driving, if that. Not worth it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
LMFAO ! Good reply.

While I don't advocate NOT getting law enforcement involved I certainly understand the OP's predicamen. Gotta know your audience and understand your situation. Getting the hell beat out of you or having to shoot someone to keep from it both would seriously cut down on riding time !

And self preservation extends to limiting the number of dangerous riders on the road.

Here's whatcha do next time, and if you ride near Archie's on the weekend, there will be a next time:

Dial 911.

Hey hon, I'm going to be a little late, there's a rider down here on the second roundabout west of Archie's.

You betcha, honey, I'm fine, I just found him here, I think he just left from Archie's, he's cut up pretty bad.

Is he injured?

Absolutely, I'll stop by the gorcery store on the way home, we'll need some bacon for grilling.

Sir, are you saying there is a motorcycle wreck with an injury and drinking is involved?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like snow in the pictures :confused:
Sand! The bike was pulled off the road by the time I took the pics. :mrgreen:

Dial 911.

Is he injured?

I hear ya, but like 'nam you just don't know if you weren't there!

Also, no one else pulled pulled out a phone to make a call other than the guy who called the buddy with the truck. There would have been no doubt who made the 911 call. So I don't disagree with you, but the circumstances were not in my favor.

·
Registered
140 Posts
One of the things that I appreciate the most about the club that I have been riding with these last 3 years is the zero alcohol rule while on club rides. If a group of us head up to the Laurentians or to Calabogie for a Sunday scoot and anyone has alcohol at the lunch stop, well, there is a smaller group riding home together. Each member knows this and is aware that the group will not allow an individual to put the rest of us at unnecessary risk.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts