StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the instructions and consensus here seems to be that the Nuvi 550 is "waterproof", I think I drowned mine on the way home from Vermont. About 8 hours in to a very wet ride, it just conked out. I took the battery out and let it sit for a few hours once I got home, and then it started up again just fine.

Has anyone else had their Nuvi 550 shut down or experience other malfunctions after a particularly wet ride?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Wow. If anything, the 550 looks beefier than my 665. My 665 had rain funneled into the back of it for days upon days, with no ill effects -- and it's got an exposed speaker on the back of the unit that collects rain (and mud, etc).

My friend had a 550 that also did not fail due to water, although I believe his was pretty well protected behind a windshield (mine was too, but the CalSci duct funneled water right into my strombone-mounted 665).

Sounds like ya lucked out! Where's the GPS mounted? Got much water protection from your 'screen?

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Nope. Had my Nuvi 550 in some pretty good rains and it hasn't ever glitched out or even flickered.

But mine is located behind the windscreen, so it's fairly well protected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts