StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just wondering why it seems most people here have dropped their bike. Maybe its because im used to lugging around the bird at low speeds (which is a real torture) but the strom feels nice and easy to me. Especially at a stop I can barley put any weight just on my toes and she feels perfectly stable. But on this and "the other forum" I keep reading stories of it.

now Im goin to knock on wood for making this post, but luckily Ive had my fall (since you lay one down sooner or later) with my CBR600F3 into a snow bank :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
13,499 Posts
I did a survey a while back on the issue of dropping Bikes.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11100

Here are the results:

Never Dropped my V-Strom or any other bike 36 18.75%
Dropped V-Strom but not other bikes 40 20.83%
Dropped Other bikes but not V-Strom 50 26.04%
Dropped other Bikes and V-Strom 66 34.38%
Voters: 192.

It looks to me that there is not a great deal of difference between how often Stroms are dropped vs other bikes.

..Tom

·
Registered
33 Posts
Visit any BMW GS centric forum to hear the same. If you haven't dropped that bike several times, you've owned it less than a month.

·
Registered
82 Posts
CoG

IMHO it's clearly the high center of gravity. I have almost dropped the Wee twice in the first 2 weeks. I have never even come anywhere close to dropping my old Buell Blast (which has an extremely low center of gravity). When I had my first close call with the Wee (maneuvering around with my feet down in the parking lot) I was stunned that I almost didn't have the strength to get the bike up from a couple of degrees lean (while standing still) and I'm 6'3" and fairly strong. The Blast, I could lean to whatever angle I wanted while standing still and easily tip back up.

I ordered engine-guards last week, because it is pretty clear to me now that I WILL someday drop this bike :???:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree with artcore. I'm 6'0, the seat height on my Wee is about 33 inches or so...in order to touch the ground with both boots I'm up on the balls of my feet.

On my buddy's honda, which is only 26 inches or so at the seat, I can keep both boots flat on the ground...and also have my feet out farther and still feel stable. On the Strom, if it starts going over, it's going over. It's too top heavy for me to keep up with pure force of muscle alone. I'm not a small guy, either.

That's why when I bought it, first thing I did was put on frame sliders and swing arm sliders before I rode it. And thank god I did, i've dropped it twice this summer. Once on my first ride, as I was getting used to it, and again last week on purpose to avoid getting creamed by a wayward automobile.

·
Administrator
13,499 Posts
IMHO it's clearly the high center of gravity.
And yet Stroms don't seem to be dropped significantly more than other bikes.

I suspect that people that have *not* dropped their Stroms (or any other bike) don't want to say so for fear of jinxing themselves. You are only going to hear of people that *have* dropped their Stroms.

..Tom

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm feeling brave...
Haven't yet dropped the strom. It's been about 3-1/2 months, and 4250 miles!
I'm tall, so it's easier for me to handle than some others.
Also, have previous ST1100 experience. I did drop that one in the yard, slowly.
The wee feels like a feather weight in comparison.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have it for a month and i dropped it 3 times. :mrgreen:

1st was right in dealer parking lot with 1 mile on bike:p i got on it and the right side was on down slope so i could not put my foot down .It was just a soft lay down i held it all the way down.

2nd time was in gravel when i found out how bad the stock rear tire handles dirt, anyway it was 0mph crash i just spinned the rear tire and bike got sideways so i had to lay it down. This one was the most damage scratches from rocks to the fender

3d time was my stupidity. I was standing on red light facing uphill and once the light turn green i revved up and fkn unintentionally dropped the clutch lever to quick:rolleyes: the bike jumped sideway and i had to gently lay it down again.

Well I'm 5.6 with 28 inseam so it's a bit challenging to held her up once she goes. I do have few years of experience riding sports bikes and Wee was the one that got dropped the most at 0mph.
I still love this awesome bike , just need to get use to heavy top end.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have found over the years that most drops are when you least expect it. In other words foot slippage in pea gravel while stopped; thinking you put the kickstand down when you did not; while going extra slow and trying to navigate between objects.

The ones that wreck at high speeds most often should expect to wreck sooner or later due to critters jumping out in front of you or little ole ladies in land yachts that just don't see you and pull out in front of you.

Anyway................never say you won't drop a bike. It happens to everyone sooner or later.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yup. Me too, stalled it in mid start in a right turn. Over she went...

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I think it more acceptable to drop a "adventure" bike, as opposed to a "show" bike. At least you can admit dropping the vstrom, instead of your cruiser. I do think that the vstrom teaches a much better grasp on how to balance the bike in touchy situations.

I haven't dropped mine in at least 10k miles now, but as a beginner it was very unforgiving. Twice in the grass, and once on pavement when I stalled out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Once in the garage: "Oh crap, the kickstand isn't down!"
Once stalling it leaving a 4-way stop in second gear. Argh.
Once in a parking lot when it looked like a car was coming into the same parking spot as me.

All 3 times were 0mph get offs. I'll gladly take a dozen of those over something happening on the road just once.

Despite being 6'0 with a 33" inseam and having no trouble getting both feet down flat, once it goes past a certain point there is no stopping it. I wrenched my shoulder and back pretty good the first two times trying to hold it up, the third time I just tried to slow it down...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why am I not surprised that coop74's offroad "oops" involved mud (I can see it in the back tire)?

I've had mine walk off the kickstand a few times. Now, I'm extra careful, making sure the stand is all the way down and holding the brake lever as I get off. That's also why I made the double sized kickstand "foot" that extends forward a bit.

What surprised me was having the stand start folding on a metal bridge deck (I caught it that time, but my arm and shoulder felt it for a while) that I knew was 100% level (I stop on the bridge and open the gate in the morning when I go to work).

I sort of expect dual sport bikes to get laid down. My Wee-strom is a very highway-worthy bike, but it's still dual sport. Crash bars and other protection are on the list...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine has gone down twice now in 3 months, both involved a few scrapes and small repair.

First time I hit the front brake hard going slow. I was coming off a gravel road, and there was a small spot of fine gravel on the ashphalt I didn't see. Was trying to see the road around brush for oncoming cars. I was turned right, and it went down *fast*. Broke the brake lever. Lesson learned, I don't use the front brake like that anymore.

Second time was offroad in the mud. Even with a new tourance on the back, going slow, it's a handful in really deep goey mud. Off course you never know from looking at the puddle of water just how deep the mud is at the bottom. It was the only deep unavoidable mud hole on an otherwise really nice solid and rocky dirt road (the end part of Harrisburg road out of Stoney Creek NY).
That drop put a some scratches on the fairing and VStrom decal. The problem was my footing slipped as I tried to regain control.
But I did make it through the big rocks/ 20 ft. long creek crossing, twice :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I personally do not think a Strom is more or less apt to find itself on the ground than any other bike.

There is a basic problem with the design of motorcycles, one that many of us applaud most of the time. They are equipped with only two wheels and must be balanced when not in motion.

I must say that during the ownership of a motorcycle, it is usually "on the ground" at a minimum of one time. I know all of mine have. Fortunately, I can say that all of them have happened during parking or slow speed manuvers. Let's be honest here, anyone can ride a motorcycle at about 35 mph down a straight road as they are ALMOST impossible to drop at that speed. I say almost as there are those out there that have found ways to circumvent the laws of physics.

One time I remember moving a bike into the garage and there was some fine sawdust on the floor of the garage. As I brought the bike to a stop, the weight of the bike started me sliding across the floor on the sawdust. There was no way to stop the onslaught of gravity. I laid it so ever gently on the floor, then gave a large grunt and righted the bike with no appreciable damage to it anywhere.

I've heard one of the posters here make the statement, "The next new bike is going to get the sidestand kicked out the first time I bring it into the garage. I want to get the suspense out of the way!"

The first drop of a new motorcycle is the same as the first dent on a new car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i have never had a bike go down. I wiped out on the street once after having been cut off by a truck about 20 years ago.(does this count??). But I have never had a bike fall off when the side stand was employed.
I can see where the strom may be more apt to this, with the side stand almost completely vertical, as opposed to slightly forward some.
I have seen on this site where some have shaved off a portion of the kickstand stop, this should be a help.

·
Registered
453 Posts
After lowering my KLR 1" I found the side stand not my best friend. However when two up it is near impossible to kick it up while in the saddle or deploy the to tall thing.

I'm thinking of cutting a good half inch from it.

I try to always give my bike a good pull to the side stand side before turning my back on it.

Sometimes we just need a wake up call. So try to learn from others, it is cheaper & hurts less.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts