StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I know this is a well worn subject but can I be so lucky? I was sitting on the bike adjusting the mirror arms when I decided to get off the bike for a moment. But I forgot to put the side stand down, idiot! I felt the bike fall to the left and then realised but all I could do was slow the fall, the bike ended up on its side with the SW Motech crash bars taking most of the load. The left passenger peg had the rest of the weight with a bit of a scratch and apart from that a slight scratch on the left bar end weight and clutch lever.

So my question is am I overreacting? I'm paraniod that I must have done some damage to my pride and joy but I can't see any. The clutch lever is straight, handlebars are straight, I've sighted the fork triple clamps and all looks straight too. Lastly the passenger peg mount on the sub frame seems fine with no sign its bent or damage to the welds. My mind is telling me something must be broken but maybe this is one tough bike to take a fall onto concrete with nothing but a few scratches.

What do you think?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
tip over

Tips overs don't count because it's all part of riding a Vstrom. Helping it down gently just shows off your skills. Well done.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Just help it lay down gently !!! My wife has done this a few times to her bike, pick it up fast to stop fluid leakage, (fuel, water, battery,)

Readjust mirrors and Ride.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Nothing to worry about.

You did all the visual checks so all should be good.
Take it easy for the first couple of miles on the road to check for anything unseen then just ride as usual.

You're riding a V-Strom not a Harley :green_lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Complete sympathy...

Well, my bike managed to fall over 2 times in 2 days and I have complete sympathy with you. I almost cried.

I said managed to fall over, as in one of the instances I was no where near the bike when it dropped.

I'm currently visiting the in-laws in Nova Scotia, and the wife and I parked our bikes in my father-in-laws gravel driveway. That night we were sitting watching TV when we heard a strange sound outside. It was kind of windy so we thought the garbage cans took a tumble. I looked outside to see my pride and joy laying in the driveway. :jawdrop:

What I completely forgot was that it had rained heavily all day, and the driveway got saturated, allowing the sidestand to dig progressively deeper into the gravel until the bike went over.
We quickly lifted the bike and placed some plywood under my sidestand and the wife's S40 stand.

Thankfully, I have SW Motech guards, and I had my large TRAX boxes installed on my bike. These took all the brunt of the fall.
I thought the bike got off scott free until I looked at the side box in the light of day. The aluminum mounting frame riveted to the back of my side box is dented in slightly, and the box is slightly bent in one area. This also cause one of the rivets to pop. When I get home I will have to look at popping everything back into shape. Anyone know if this is covered under the TRAX warranty? LOL

The next day we cut some 1/2" plywood to 4" x 5" blocks, which I will now carry with me incase I have to park in gravel again.

The second drop was completly my fault. Slow speed manouvering in the driveway to reposition the bike, and over she went! Thankfully I just missed a small utility trailer, which would have seriously hurt the bike and me.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Tough Bike

Fell over gently! No worries, I dropped mine hard at 90kph and really dinged up the RHside, broken footpeg. trashed brake pedal, squashed pillion peg, broken plastic etc etc, still rode it to the hospital 20kms down the road. Would have ridden it 400kms home if i had to but friends gave me and the wee a lift. Yours just had a nap.:green_lol:

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I did the same in my driveway. Must not have put the stand down far enough. Over it went with me trying to stop it. What a joke that was. All the damage that the Wee had was a scratched crash bar that a bit of black fixed. As for me a torn left hamstring and no riding for a couple weeks.Lesson taught always check the kick stand before getting off.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
So my question is am I overreacting? I'm paraniod that I must have done some damage to my pride and joy but I can't see any. /
I got hit from the side and knocked over by a Honda Accord going 40-45mph in a construction zone.

...And rode home.

Relax, do you think all these people are so loyal to V-Stroms because they're unreliable and easy to break?

I've met some of the riders here. They could break anvils.:green_lol:

You did the smart thing by getting robust engine bars on there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't even want to say it...... but my Strom has not been over in the garage yet. I did manage to lay the VFR over on its side once while trying to get it on the center stand, it's nothing like putting the Strom up.... I hate doing it. Just some scuffs in the fairing down low. I don't think there was any damage from the fall as I had all my weight countering on the left grip as it slowly fell, but rather from me trying to lift the 550 lb pig back up and it was shifting around on its side. Don't worry about it. I'd have to point out the scuffs to someone to notice them and they'd have to be down low on their hands and knees to even see them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have dropped mine 7 or 8 times now in everything from sand to gravel to ice... its great fun, very tough bike. fastest was about 20 km and hour and did quite a slide... this is what this bike is built for. i have 50000km on mine and counting and still runs perfect and other than minor scratches, love it! just remember the main adeventure riding rule... before you pick the bike up, TAKE THE PICTURE!!!!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dropped mine 7 or so times, all stationary or walking speed. Damage so far is very minor with scratched crash bars, scratched OEM hand guards, very slight scratches on mirrors, turn signals and footpegs, and only thing that had to be replaced was bent rear brake pedal, which I replaced with folding Touratech pedal. There are absolutely no scratches on paint and when bike is clean it still looks new. I should paint crash bars to stop rusting. I got over the sinking feeling when dropping it, because to reduce or eliminate drops I have to keep it on pavement, and I bought the bike to adventure and have fun, not to keep it shiny. Now, if I had a $25,000 bike, I might feel differently.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
side / kick stand ???

Anybody had their side stand give way, as in not hold in place ??
Mine did the other day. I had it locked in place and pulled back a little (I always do, just to make sure) as I got off, next thing I know it's going down, I hear the side stand hit the "stop" as it's going down. It was on flat, solid concrete, same place I always park it...... Any suggestions = thoughts??

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I skipped mine through an iintersection for about 60ft last spring, rode it away.... bike was, is fine....... thank you GIVI crash bars....

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I've met some of the riders here. They could break anvils.:green_lol:
Guilty as charged.... they send the bull into the china shop to clean up after me.....
speaking of which... where can I get my anvil fixxed.... :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Anybody had their side stand give way, as in not hold in place ??
Mine did the other day. I had it locked in place and pulled back a little (I always do, just to make sure) as I got off, next thing I know it's going down, I hear the side stand hit the "stop" as it's going down. It was on flat, solid concrete, same place I always park it...... Any suggestions = thoughts??
Some people have used an angle grinder to remove a bit of the sidestand stop to allow it go a bit further forward to reduce that chance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dropped in driveway

Pulled wee out of garage onto paved drive with slight downward slope. Put down sidestand and went back to get gloves, helmet and shut garage door.
Audible rush of wind and sound of Suzi hitting pavement.:furious:
Ran out of garage to pick it up, praying I could still go on my long anticipated ride. Stepped on turn signal parts, half of clutch lever and handguard . Engine guard bent in almost to the rad, slight scratching on tank.
After crying and wailing in driveway(no problem, the neighbours already know I'm weird), drove cage to dealership, bought overpriced OEM turn signal, aftermarket clutch lever, and went back to riding.
My only question is how do you straighten an engine guard when you can't get a hockey stick(Canadian eh!) between it and the tank?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts