StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had just filled up at the gas station. Wifey was mounting and something went wrong. She had done it perfectly so many times before and was a non issue. This time her balance was off. After what seem like and eternity I started telling her to "GET OFF".............but we went down hard on the right side. We are fine..........got back one and did a 100km run.......... but have new scratches on the side case and hand guards...........HWY peg on the crash bar took the hit up front and protected the expensive parts..........we had the talk about aborting the procedure if things go wrong.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The full tank may have added a bit of weight once we started to lean over............but it was not the root cause.............
My failure in the initial coaching when we started riding 2 years ago was the major contributor to the mishap. We should have talked about a quick dismount if something is not right.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I take my girl a lot on this bike. I see where this would be very easy to do. The bike is tall and top heavy. The passenger sits high. When she boards I am always aware of this. Slow speeds are also a little tricky.
I have raised mine and put on the Elka shock with a stiffer spring, makes the bike taller yet.
I now only put in as much fuel as I need for the ride. Long trips I fill up but a quick 100 miler and I only put in about half
I was thinking the other day that if I keep taking her I might want to consider a Concours. I would still keep the Vee

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Make sure she tries to keep her weight close to the centre of the bike. My wife has it to the point where I hardly notice her getting on.

·
Registered
515 Posts
two feet, or use the centerstand
Ditto on the two feet, don't know about the center stand as I've never done that...

My wife has only surprised me once while getting on the back. That was enough for me. Now before she gets on she grabs my shoulder, puts one foot the peg and askes if I'm ready for her to get on. With both feet firmly planted on the ground and while holding the front brake she gets on with no problems. We've never spilled with her getting on but that one time when I didn't know she was coming was close. She has to swing her leg all the way over the top case as well. Kind of like getting on a horse...:beatnik:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey! Buckshot sorry to hear about the tip-over I don`t have any spare orange parts or I would give them to you...Maybe meet up for a ride soon I installed that shock I was talking about ,seems to be working out great I will keep you informed ..:thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
two feet, or use the centerstand
Whenever I have a passenger mount or dismount, I place both feet firmly on the ground, spread as far apart as possible and activate a "thigh lock" on the seat. If you can do this adjacent to a curb on the mounting side, with your foot on the curb, it makes things a bit easier for both parties.

I also learned it's not a good idea to comment on a female passenger's weight, especially one to whom you may be married.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Bike on side stand passenger mounts from the left and uses the passenger footpeg to get on similar to mounting a horse. Stand the bike upright when the passenger is seated and stable. You'd have to be blind drunk to drop a bike that way.

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts
Whenever I have a passenger mount or dismount, I place both feet firmly on the ground, spread as far apart as possible and activate a "thigh lock" on the seat.
I do the same and I'm a big guy. No matter how careful the passenger is there is a chance the weight on one side can surprise you.

I also learned it's not a good idea to comment on a female passenger's weight, especially one to whom you may be married.
This is a very important thing to remember! Even women that are just friends will take offence at any comment about their weight no matter what or how you say it! Last summer a good friend mentioned that friends of hers that hadn't seen her in a while commented that she looked so skinny on earlier pictures of her and looked better now as she put on weight. I didn't know her at the time when she had really lost weight and said that I could see the difference and that she looked great. Six months later, when we were having drinks, she mentioned how pissed she was at me for saying that she put on weight (and she is not even a girlfriend!) My rule now is that no matter what a woman says about her weight, no comment from me.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
2 feet

I ride lots with my wife and I'm lucky because she is small and weighs only about 130. But my short legs don't give me much allowance for error. Stopping on uneven ground or slippery surfaces can be more problematic than getting aboard. It's imperative than a passenger knows of the possibility of tipovers and understands how important it is to communicate.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I do the same and I'm a big guy. No matter how careful the passenger is there is a chance the weight on one side can surprise you.............................My rule now is that no matter what a woman says about her weight, no comment from me.

..Tom
Tom, you're just a little short for your weight.

Early on, I adopted a "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding women and gravity.

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts
Tom, you're just a little short for your weight.
I'm a little taller for my weight these days as I'm about 30 lbs lighter than last year. (We guys can talk about weight with no issues.)
:)

Early on, I adopted a "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding women and gravity.
Add "Don't comment in any way!" to the policy, There is nothing you can say about a woman's weight that ends well. even a compliment is used against you!

..Tom

·
Registered
705 Posts
Tough break Buckshot. The bruises should be nice and ripe by now. That type of drop is frustrating. My daughter rode on back when she was younger and it almost happened to me on several occasions. She fell asleep on the back once (KLR!) and that was it for her as a bike passenger.

You'd have to be blind drunk to drop a bike that way.
There's the excuse I've been looking for!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
There is nothing you can say about a woman's weight that ends well. even a compliment is used against you!
And if you've ever said anything at all, it will be dredged up 35 years later... I wish I had a filing system like that.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have had a close call a time or two as well, only the fact I am so big allowed me to keep the bike upright... now I make sure she always asks before she gets on, and lately i have just been leaving the bike on the side stand till she is settled.... not much you can do when it is happening though but hold on and fight it...

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
The first time I ever rode anybody but my kid on back, it was his best friend's mom. She's about the shape of a bowling ball with feet and a head. A real whopper. I was straddling the bike like I always do when the kid gets on, no kickstand. She put her left foot on the peg and started to swing her leg over. The bike started to fall down; I might as well have been trying to pick up a car. Luckily her foot came off the peg as it tilted over, and she fell on her ass; saving the bike. Afer she got back up, I put the kickstand down and she climbed on. I could barely ride; the tank was jammed into my crotch. The bike has had a very steep angle when on the kickstand ever since.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
She's about the shape of a bowling ball with feet and a head. A real whopper. I was straddling the bike like I always do when the kid gets on, no kickstand. She put her left foot on the peg and started to swing her leg over. The bike started to fall down; I might as well have been trying to pick up a car. Luckily her foot came off the peg as it tilted over, and she fell on her ass; saving the bike. Afer she got back up, I put the kickstand down and she climbed on. I could barely ride; the tank was jammed into my crotch. The bike has had a very steep angle when on the kickstand ever since.
Mr. Moore - living that South Florida lifestyle, you devil you.

Hey, I know a nice divorcee who lives in your fair city, maybe you could give her a ride up here some time, as you know she likes V-Stroms.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm still thinking we need to train our passengers to do that "run and jump" routine from the back, just like they all did in the old westerns with their horses. Seemed to work like a charm for them! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts