StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

I'm in Bran, Romania and I have stupidly dropped by bike key into the wiring by the front fork of my 2014 V-Strom 650. The key has a hi-vis plastic loop and a smaller flat metal key for my topbox attached. When I dropped it I could still see the plastic loop and I grabbed it but it slipped through my fingers and disappeared - can't see it at all.

My three mates and I have looked, fiddled, poked, removed the outer body panel, "dropped" the bike all the way down, both sides; we can't see any keys, feel any keys or hear any keys; it's as though they have simply vanished through a wormhole.

My wife is sending spare keys from home in the UK but in the meantime - any ideas/suggestions? Dismantling the bike is an obvious one but I can't access my toolkit without removing the seat, with the key, and buying more in Bran, on Sunday, in 35 degree heat is also unlikely.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
A bit late to be suggesting this but it's good to keep a spare key somewhere on the bike. I keep one in the side pocket of my tank bag.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Skew, I tried looking there with the aid of a poking stick and a mirror but no luck :(

It's never too late VSRider to make better plans and you can bet that my next trip out will include more comprehensive failsafe stuff. Several of my mates have taken note and are currently revising their strategies also.

The DHL option didn't pan out for reasons I'll find out when I'm home but a mate in Scotland has just set off to collect my keys and bring them and his toolkit out to Romania. I bet you wish you had mates like that!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I could get my wife to bring spare key, she is my best mate, but the key service won't be cheap. She would require dinner and comfortable accommodations if far from home. Maybe some shopping too :). Aye, I may loose my key on purpose next long trip, now that I think about it, get to missing her after a short while.... Thanks for posting this as a reminder for us all to bring a spare, or two....one is none, two is one....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
13,088 Posts
On the 2012 DL650 there's an area behind the front edges of the lower part of the fairing where keys can dissappear. I lost my keys when gassing in there one and took about 10minutes to find the spot. I didn't see the key until I started point around in there.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,088 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right chaps

I did indeed find my keys, AFTER pretty much dismantling the whole thing.

Tucked up in the central hump of the fuel tank and the frame - absolute bitch to find - and the Suzuki tool kit isn't up to the job of retrieving them either, yes it enabled me to completely strip the bike in the hotel's car park BUT it doesn't include the final essential tool - a bent coathanger.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts