StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it happened today for the first time. I dropped my Wee. :furious::furious::furious:

Was riding around in a nice quiet suburban area near my home and came to a "T" intersection. I had a stop. The main street had no stops.

The street is higher in the center and lower on the sides for rain water runoff as is common.

I was just coming to a stop and still slowing down when this lady (Paying no attention to anything but the inside of her car) turned from my right. She turned very sharp and nearly clipped my front tire.

I Instinctively turned the handlebars to the right and hit both brakes.

Same old story. Front brake at slow speed with handlebars turned is a losing combination. This was exacerbated by the fact that I was on a slight incline to the right due to the part of the street that I was on.

I realized what was happening and got my feet down. my bike got just past (the point of no return) and there was just nothing that I could do other than to carry her down.

I did manage to set her down (seemed like slow motion) as opposed to have her fall down with any momentum. This thing is heavier than I thought ...

Thank god for the Pat Walsh crash bars. I set her right down on the bar and it took the brunt of things. No damage to anything other than a scuff on the crash bar.

Then I proceeded to lift the bike on my own while numerous people walked around me and did/said nothing. Nice ... :confused:

In any event, on a good note I guess it is over and I can now join the ranks of my other comrades. And as a bonus, I got to test out the tip over sensor which did a fine job of killing the engine. Bonus !!

Not happy ...

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Lesson for you: next time it happens and there are people around, you have to ask for help if those people aren't riders. If they are riders, they'll get the bike up before they help you up. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lesson for you: next time it happens and there are people around, you have to ask for help if those people aren't riders. If they are riders, they'll get the bike up before they help you up. :mrgreen:
Ain't that the truth!:thumbup:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Next time, pull your camera and make several shots of the bike before lifting it. Cellphone shot will work too... Congratulation, and welcome to the club...

And actually, real adventure dual sport riders will smile and cheer first, not riders usually ask if you need help. At least it happened to me...

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
No damage no injury, good deal!! Tough way to test that tip over sensor. :biggrinjester:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
So when I hit ice last December, I suppose the douchebag who rumbled past me on his Harley was no rider?

Quit beating youself up, my bike's been down more times than Paris Hilton on home video. Eventually you develop a technique for picking it up with your own style and flair. The latest time was when my foot slipped off the center stand as I was raising it to lube the chain in a rain-besotted parking lot. It fell away from me as my wife watched helplessly.

What did I do? Since it landed on the right side, I put it in neutral and had my wife spin the wheel while I lubed the chain. Then we lifted together with a couple of passersby. It was a community effort, like an Amish barn-raising.

Learn and move on. What did I learn? Put some no-skid tape on your centerstand lever.

Just be glad you were unhurt and I didn't catch it all on video.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have dropped my Wee on both sides and my crash bars wear the scratches of each event with pride. It's an adventure bike and I've enjoyed the adventure. Ride on! :beatnik:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Pfffttt, just the once, get yer knees brown mate. I'm up to four and a half. The half was forgetting to put the side stand down in the work garage, went to get off and got pinned against a bunch of large cardboard boxes. Managed to get off and slowly push it upright without calling for help.:hurray:

·
Registered
105 Posts
There's a reason they call these things, "adventure bike".. It's a god damned adventure just picking them up!

I've dropped my three times already and I've only had it a few months. Two because the bike was lowered, but the kickstand wasn't. All the weight I packed on it was too much and BOOM! Down she went. The third time was making a tight turn on grass..

Eh, it happens.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I'll bet he didn't wave either. :biggrinjester:
Nope, he was too busy practicing his badass scowl and thousand yard stare.

I always stop for stranded motorcyclists. I don't care what they're riding or if they're alone or in a large group. My wife got a kick from watching me lead a handful of out-of-towners down from the Blue Ridge Parkway where there's spotty cell service to a local shop for parts for a bike in the ditch. It was kinda like Buzz Lighyear doing a cameo in Pirates of the Carribean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts