StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,877 Posts
I will wait and see what Greywolf says, but IMHO that is not good at all.

Picture is pretty small, but from what I can see you might not be happy with what you will be told. To get the seal out, all you do is barely insert 2 small sheet metal screws and take a couple sets of pliers and pull out the seal, mine came out without any issues.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Right. You need to replace that seal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand the seal replacement is necessary and that is already removed,,,
the bearing that is in the housing came as a standard (part nr: 25x62x1) indicates one side is closed ....that is the part that got damaged ...do I have to replace that complete bearing

·
38,049 Posts
So you replaced the original plain bearing with a bearing that is sealed on one side. You can remove the rubber part of the new bearing and the seal you add on top of that will hold back the oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you replaced the original plain bearing with a bearing that is sealed on one side. You can remove the rubber part of the new bearing and the seal you add on top of that will hold back the oil.
Eish I struggle to get through to you guys..LoL

Nope that is still the original bearing, I am worried that the engine pressure would be too much for the O ring in the sprocket spacer and the drive shaft seal...due to the damaged front part on the bearing...

Do I need to worry or can I leave the bearing as it is

·
Registered
274 Posts
So you are asking if you can leave a damaged bearing alone and not suffer any problems? Do I have that right?
Can tell ya for sure I wouldn't leave it.
How did you damage it?

Tom R

·
38,049 Posts
I wasn't aware the original bearing was sealed on one side. You can't leave it like that. If you get a new bearing, you can probably remove the seal and put it on the old bearing. It would be very difficult to get the old bearing out. Is it a 650 or a 1000?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I have opened up quite a few gearbox's and this is the first bike I have seen with a sealed bearing in that position.

If it were my bike I would remove the damaged inner seal, replace the outer seal and keep a close eye on things. (oil on the tire)

You will be no worse off than you are now and you could be concerned about nothing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have opened up quite a few gearbox's and this is the first bike I have seen with a sealed bearing in that position.

If it were my bike I would remove the damaged inner seal, replace the outer seal and keep a close eye on things. (oil on the tire)

You will be no worse off than you are now and you could be concerned about nothing.
^^^^ This. I wonder why they put a sealed bearing in there. If the bearing has another seal on the inboard side, those are preventing trans oil from lubricating the bearing. Just rip the damaged bearing cover off and install your shaft seal.

Oh, and go pick up a seal puller. No more of this screwy screwdriver mess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts