StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Driving new Wee home over distance

Hello all. I have been trolling this site for a few weeks giving some serious thought to moving to a Wee. I have a handful of local dealers, but only one has a non-ABS Wee in stock. Its likely that it will be gone before I have a chance to sell my existing bike, so I will very well have to consider driving a few hundred miles down an interstate to pick one up, preferably an ABS model.

My question is, can someone enlighten me on the break-in procedure and duration? Is it the usual varying RPM's and occasionally rolling off the throttle? How about top speed?

I appreciate the help. Again, if I have to go out of town I will have to drive a couple of hundred miles down the interstate and want to make I do it right.

Thanks in advance. I hope to join the addiction soon!!!

Gary

·
Registered
295 Posts
On my 2008 I think it's under 5,000 rpm for 500 miles and under 7,500 rpm from 500 thru 1,000 miles. If my memories are'nt lies, 5,000 rpm's in 6th was about 63 mph. hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Don't worry about the break-in. These bikes NEED to be ridden.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ride it like ya stole it, very rpm. Change the oil at 50 miles, then again at 600ish.

I followed this one: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/NewBike.html#BreakIn

Very personal subject. Do a search for motoman break-in and read the link above and decide for yourself what is best for your bike. And don't over think it, go with your gut.
Screw Motoman and his B.S. break-in
Follow the Suzuki method. Motoman wont cover your butt if you have a issue.
Following the Suzuki way your covers.
Suzuki Designed, tested, re-tested , slept with, your machine, and covers you in case of trouble.
Tell Suzuki you followed Motomans break-in and see how far that gets you.
That idiot has nothing to loose if you lunch your engine.
Its a testimony to bike engineers that their machines stay together, even while being subjected to this goobers abuse.
Just because you read it on the INTERNET, doesn't make it true.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey Sandman. I did the same thing you're about to. My Vee was purchased in South Carolina. I rented a car, drove up there to get it and took back roads for the first 1,000 miles. Varying your rpms is always a good idea and is difficult to do on a freeway, but you should be able to find the little roads on the way back.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I would love to be a part of a comprehensive scientific study to compare MotoMan's method against the factory method on a wide range of motorcycle models to settle this slightly contentious issue.

Of course, only if I didn't have to be on the factory method break-in team.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Of course said:
I hear you, brother. Couldn't decide between the Motoman method or Suzuki's recommendations before I picked up my '08 a few months ago. As I drove out of the dealer's lot, I decided on the Suzuki course for break-in. The only variation was an additional oil change before the first dealer service.

The first 1000K seemed interminable at times. Haven't regretted it, though. The bike runs like a Swiss watch and hauls ass. I tend to agree with the perspective that the bikes survive despite the various break-in methods.
Happy trails to you.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I hear you, brother. Couldn't decide between the Motoman method or Suzuki's recommendations before I picked up my '08 a few months ago. As I drove out of the dealer's lot, I decided on the Suzuki course for break-in. The only variation was an additional oil change before the first dealer service.

The first 1000K seemed interminable at times. Haven't regretted it, though. The bike runs like a Swiss watch and hauls ass. I tend to agree with the perspective that the bikes survive despite the various break-in methods.
Happy trails to you.
I did much the same with my '07.
I was a little nervous, being my first new bike purchase.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Screw Motoman and his B.S. break-in
Follow the Suzuki method. Motoman wont cover your butt if you have a issue.
Following the Suzuki way your covers.
Suzuki Designed, tested, re-tested , slept with, your machine, and covers you in case of trouble.
Tell Suzuki you followed Motomans break-in and see how far that gets you.
That idiot has nothing to loose if you lunch your engine.
Its a testimony to bike engineers that their machines stay together, even while being subjected to this goobers abuse.
Just because you read it on the INTERNET, doesn't make it true.
This is funny to me, not because I care how anyone else breaks in their bike, but because I can't imagine anyone coming in for warranty service and saying, "I completely disregarded Suzuki's break-in instructions, now please provide warranty repairs." However you broke in your bike: if you need warranty service, just provide your service record and nod and smile when questioned about your behavior on the bike.

·
Registered
797 Posts
:beatdeadhorse5:

Seriously.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts